Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi A5 Coupe 2018 - Door Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A5 Coupe 2018 - Door Rattle

Hey everyone,

Long time reader but first post. So my A5 2018 Coupe is in with Audi at the minute for a passenger side door rattle amongst other things. I have/had (if they’ve fixed it) a passenger side door rattle.

To solve it I used to put a small piece of cardboard in one of the “gaps” between the panels and this solved it (picture attached), but I’d had enough of looking at it and thought I wanted it repairing properly for a £40k + car. The Audi garage it’s with have felt taped the whole of the door apparently now and it’s gone… although reading some threads on here it doesn’t fix it permanently (I hope it does though!).

I’m just curious though after reading so many different threads and posts if everyone else has had a similar issue, and if so, what was the fix? I’m happy to suggest anything and everything to the dealer as I’ve had to take it back to the original deliver (200 miles away) I bought it from since my local dealer wasn’t interested in helping.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Josh

Old 10-13-2022, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is what I have done to date:
1. apply 2 part epoxy to all the plastic welds(some of them were loose)
2. purchased
Acoustic Foam Acoustic Foam
and applied on the door panel and the door where the two were close enough for the foam to bridge the gap(made the biggest difference)
3. removed all the door clips from the panel and applied thin felt tape on the backside to reduce the slack. The clips move quite a bit in their socket to allow alignment with the pin and the felt tape will restrict this movement while muffling the clickety click
4. this was a big surprise: lube the door seals thoroughly because they can sound like plastic rattling(after cleaning the rubber with APC and not lubing, the interior sounded like a skeleton jacking off on a tin roof). When applying the lube, make sure you cover the entire door seal, not just the surface where it meets the door. Some of them double back on themselves and the rubber to rubber contact will squeak something wicked with the door closed
Old 10-13-2022, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I’ll pass this onto the dealership.

They have applied felt and also had the door stripped right down with all panels removed. They have also applied lube to the panels etc. They’ve also taken it on a test drive and can’t hear any rattles now so fingers crossed they’ve solved the issues.

If anyone else any other suggestions as well please let me know as I can pass those on too.