Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Tire Pressure Monitoring Outdated

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Audi's are not designed for 'Driving Enthusiasts' A car with 60% of its weight over the front does not scream 'driving enthusiast'. Weekend warrior, maybe. That's all I'll give it though.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
You have been drinking that BMW kool aid for too long my friend, weight distribution is not the only factor in how a car handles.

Just took a look on Amazon and none of those $40 sensors fit the B9 S5. In addition to the 4 sensors, there is also the upfront cost of the receiver and the control unit.
I stopped drinking the BMW kool aid after my 2013 M3.Weight distribution plays a huge factor in dynamics. The newest version of the dynamic diff does a great job of hiding some of that understeer, but you can't defy physics.

Originally Posted by Glisse
The Sportback does not have a 60/40 weight distribution. Neither does an R8 for that matter.

The majority of Audi owners globally are unlikely to want a direct TPMS fitted as standard equipment. By example, it is mandatory to change tyres / wheels between the seasons in much of Europe - a region twice the size of North America in Audi volume terms. As an option, fine, and Audi is rolling this option out in new models. The option price is around $250, this will vary a little from model to model, market to market.

As Audi USA dealers do not like long option lists (because most of their customers prefer to buy off the lot rather than factory ordering), it is possible that the option will not be made available in your specific market. Or if Audi of America feel that the majority of customers would prefer it, include it as standard equipment. Just like they do with, say, a sunroof.

And in the case of RS vehicles, the primary advantage of the direct system is monitoring tyre temperatures. Not for knowing you have a puncture - the indirect system is more reliable for that function. Of course, there is the convenience factor. At a guess, I would say the majority of owners never check their tyre pressures. At least with the direct system, some of these owners might remember now and then to bring up the MMI screen and have a look. But even then, probably only a minority would. And then that assumes that owners know what tyre pressures they should be using. How often on these forums do we read about owners using the maximum load capacity pressures on their lightly loaded cars? Rhetorical question - often.

But yes, Audi spare parts pricing is high. This should not be news

I agree that you have to watch the details going forward. All the manufacturers are cost cutting / chasing margins to fund the development stage of EV.
The Sportback actually DOES have 60% of its weight over the front. Audi dealers don't want a long option list? GREAT! Make it standard. BMW and Mercedes both have it as standard equipment. If two rival manufacturers have the means to make it standard equipment, Audi has zero excuse.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 04-09-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura

Old 04-09-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Noticed the TPMS in my A5 does not indicate over pressure. The dealer in December said they adjusted the pressures to 35psi for the winter when I took the car for its first oil change. I was checking the cold tire pressures with my Accu-gauge gauge two days ago outside temp 68F all four was showing 42psi. Accu-gauge claims +/-2psi accuracy. Only thing I can think of is that they reset the pressure on the MMI.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Neither are 60% as you like to state.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

They can't both be right, and just for fun, Car & Driver with yet another number:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...k-test-review/
"With 56.0 percent of its weight on its nose, the 187.1-inch-long hatchback is prone to understeer."
Old 04-09-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

If you're driving an Audi, a $20-$30 sensor shouldn't be very expensive. You're driving a premium segment vehicle.
except they weren't $20 or $30 as mentioned

I just replaced a set on my beater A4 - my cost was ~$100 each at my cost . Yes I could have gotten aftermarket ones for $69 each, but preferred the OEM ones, since they served me well for the first 10 years/154k miles. I don't need to tie our dealership shop up with my bs work on an aftermarket part that might have an issue being programmed, or might last me 6 months.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 04-09-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
I have a Corvette with direct TPMS and an A5 SB with indirect. People on AudiWorld complain about indirect, people on Corvette Forum complain about direct. There's advantages and disadvantages to each. Neither one eliminates your responsibility to check tire pressures occasionally with a good gauge.
the grass is always allegedly greener
Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
They can't both be right, and just for fun, Car & Driver with yet another number:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...k-test-review/
"With 56.0 percent of its weight on its nose, the 187.1-inch-long hatchback is prone to understeer."
Here is another: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...w-first-drive/

RS5 Coupe : 57.2/42.8 (f/r)
RS5 Sportback : 56.5/43.5 (f/r)
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I stopped drinking the BMW kool aid after my 2013 M3.Weight distribution plays a huge factor in dynamics. The newest version of the dynamic diff does a great job of hiding some of that understeer, but you can't defy physics.
Take a look at myth # 4, some of the best handling race cars in the world has a 60/40 weight distribution. BMW like to advertise their 50/50 weight distribution because they speed so much time and effort into getting the car perfectly weighted 50/50. Recently, even BMW is starting to step away from that and some of their newer models are no long 50/50. Audi for years have been getting away with some pretty good numbers handling wise for a car that is front heavy. The rear bias AWD and the sport diff. definitely helps. The most recent Audi models are much better balance than the previous models.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...nceptions.html

Quick Reply: Audi Tire Pressure Monitoring Outdated