Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B&O sound is far worse in 2018 A5 Cab than 2016 A5 Cab. What happened?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O sound is far worse in 2018 A5 Cab than 2016 A5 Cab. What happened?

I had a 2016 A5 Cab and absolutely loved the B&O sound system. I played my music from a 5th-generation iPod (which has a great sound processor). The iPod was connected through a dedicated cable in the glove compartment. Most of the songs had originally been transferred from CD's. Some of the songs were downloaded from iTunes. The clarity was excellent. And the A5's Surround feature was especially fantastic (when used correctly): the music truly sounded as if there were extra speakers magically mounted on the windows. I loved being in the car at all times when my music was playing.

However, the B&O system on my 2018 A5 Cab is an obvious downgrade. It sounds chintzy in the midrange and highs. There is far less separation in vocal harmonies, for example; the voices sound more muddled. And the subwoofer is a joke. It has no depth or clarity; rather, it sounds like someone kicking a cardboard box.

The 2018 Surround feature does next to nothing. Almost all of the sound appears to come from the front, no matter what. And yes, I adjusted the fader levels. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so I've tried just about everything.

The "3D" gimmick makes most songs sound worse, with few exceptions.

The whole system actually gives me ear fatigue when played at higher volumes. That never happened with my 2016 model.

Oddly, SiriusXM sounds significantly better on the 2018 A5. Maybe Audi is processing that signal better.

BTW, I no longer can use my iPod because the 2018 does not support it (using just the AUX jack is not an option because it does not provide control through the MMI.) Instead, I loaded all my music files onto an SD card, which has caused odd techincal glitches which I will detail in a separate post since this post is specific to sound quality.

Has anyone else had these experiences? Is it possible that my car's audio processor is defective? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Very happy with my B&O. Though I was surprised to find that it seemed to take a while to break-in.

It does want to use the middle front speaker a lot though.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Derboy
Very happy with my B&O.
I’m assuming that you have a 2018. For comparison, have you ever heard the B&O on a pre-2018 A5?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tommyleo

I’m assuming that you have a 2018. For comparison, have you ever heard the B&O on a pre-2018 A5?
Yes but it was so long ago I’m not in a position to directly compare. However I am into my hi-fi and it’s taken me a while to get the settings I like and I’m happy with the B&O. Like I say it did take a bit of time for it too loosen up.

Last edited by Derboy; 10-17-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I switched from a 2012 Cabriolet (B8.5) with B&O to a 2018 B9 S5 Cabriolet with B&O in June. I'd say I'm fairly picky about sound quality (though I don't go for really loud, I prefer clarity).

I am entirely happy with it. I find the two sub woofers to be an improvement over the old single one.

I did retro-fit the B&O system to my old 2008 A5 Coupe because I was not happy with the standard Audi system.

Last edited by paradyne; 10-17-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paradyne
I find the two sub woofers to be an improvement over the old single one.
There's still only one Subwoofer in the new car: https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/solu...di/a5-s5-coupe

Last edited by Derboy; 10-17-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The B&O in my 2018 S5 coupe is at least as good (if not better) than the B&O from my old 2013 A5.

That said, I've noticed huge quality differences between source and connection types. For example, I find Carplay to be better quality audio than the direct USB connection, which is better than Bluetooth on my iPhone. It's pretty noticeable, especially in the low to mid range for me.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Derboy
There's still only one Subwoofer in the new car:
In the Coupe and Sportback yes, but the Cabriolet has them in the panels to the side of the rear seat. The B8 had a storage pocket on one side and sub on the other, the B9 has a sub on each side.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paradyne
In the Coupe and Sportback yes, but the Cabriolet has them in the panels to the side of the rear seat. The B8 had a storage pocket on one side and sub on the other, the B9 has a sub on each side.
Ah ok. didn't twig we were talking about cabriolets. Thought we were discussing real cars...
Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it is fair to say that for any given chassis/model, most of the R&D goes into the body style that will sell the most units. That means A4 sedan. Compromises are then made for the 2 door version where you lose some of the rear sound stage, and further compromises are made for hatchback versions e.g. sportback where you lose the rear deck, and further compromises still when you add a softtop and lose B/C pillars.

Quick Reply: B&O sound is far worse in 2018 A5 Cab than 2016 A5 Cab. What happened?