Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 S5 Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

I’m still trying to find a dipstick that fits the A5 SB. ECS doesn’t seem to have one that fits
I would be shocked if this didn't work. Why would it work for the B9 A4 Sedan and not the SB? Same engine.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...641ecs02-02~a/

Old 02-08-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Trex1200r
I would be shocked if this didn't work. Why would it work for the B9 A4 Sedan and not the SB? Same engine.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...641ecs02-02~a/
Thanks - it might work but at that price, I don't want to be the guinea pig and test it out when it says "does not fit."
Old 02-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

USPS Delivered my strut brace today, but it’ll have to wait until next week for the install!

Great price, free shipping and fast delivery. Great Deal.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got mine yesterday and installed it today. Nice quality piece. I am not sure I would rate the installation a "1" though. It is all super straight forward but getting an allen wrench on the screws on the underside of the brace to tighten it up at the end is a bitch. Might have been easier with a 1\4 inch 6mm allen socket and a mini torque wrench. I ended up taking it back off and tightened the left side and kept the underside screws on the right side loose. Then I at least only had to tighten the right side where there is a little bit more space. Still, like any project I tackle, seems like it took 3 times longer than it should have. Looks really good installed. I was surprised at how light and insubstantial the factory bars were compared to the solid billet bars on the ECS brace.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Good to know — Thanks again — maybe pre-installation I’ll pick up the 6mm Allen wrench bit and benefit from your advice. I have not even looked at mine yet — just got home from our accountant and while it wasn’t unexpected, it still wasn’t pleasant.

“Middle Class Tax Cut” — yeah, first to call BS!
Old 02-09-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Good to know — Thanks again — maybe pre-installation I’ll pick up the 6mm Allen wrench bit and benefit from your advice. I have not even looked at mine yet — just got home from our accountant and while it wasn’t unexpected, it still wasn’t pleasant.

yes get it installed and then everyone report back! It’s already gone up in price

yes...taxes very very very bad for me here. very unexpected given we even redid our w4 worksheet. I mean very bad (I say that enough?)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trex1200r
I got mine yesterday and installed it today. Nice quality piece.
But can you tell if there is any effect on the driving, at all? Or is it just some hidden engine bay bling??

I'm hoping there is at least a small benefit :-)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by paradyne
But can you tell if there is any effect on the driving, at all? Or is it just some hidden engine bay bling??

I have a pretty good curb that I have to take at an angle to get into my garage. Seat of the pants the car feels more composed and solid going over the curb, and I take some speed bumps in my neighborhood at an angle and the car handles them better. I haven't had any squeeks in this car yet, (knock knock knock) but another poster somewhere mentioned it cured a squeak they had going over bumps. So, yes, I would testify to a day in day out benefit. I have never had any complaints at how the car corners, but I have probably never had this car past 7/10 of its capabilities so not the best testimonial for any handling change. I thought it cornered pretty good to begin with. At the current price it is a worthwhile upgrade.

This is my next project. I do get a very occasional clunk in the drivetrain where the transmission or differential is moving around. At 66% off I am going to try it out. If I get increased vibration this is another mod that can easily be reversed, and at $54 not risking much. There are a couple of versions of this out there, but I like that these are silicone inserts and not billet inserts so there should still be some vibration cancelling functionality as well as movement left in the bushings.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...19208ecs01kt1/

Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by paradyne

Installed mine as well this last Friday, overall pretty simple process, but no idea what genius decided to put the allen bolts underneath the brace, a big pain to install, didn't bother torquing them to spec.

One note of advice, it is very sensitive to the torque of the bolts connected to the car, initially I hand tightened and over-torqued them since I needed an adapter for my torque wrench, and could feel a big difference in both steering feel and ride harshness. The next day I corrected the torque settings, which made the ride more complaint but still retained the majority of the steering feel improvement. So, if you're looking for a sportier feel, I would probably try torquing them to 20 or 25 Ft-lbs.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Ha. I haven't completed my taxes because my brokerage firms take too long to generate 1099s, but the tax cut is looking quite good for me so far.

Quick Reply: B9 S5 Strut Brace