Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Black or White Need Help - S5 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I agree with @JerryGTI — You can own a white car but a black car owns you!

A black car is like a needy girlfriend while a white car is like a wife, far less demanding and more forgiving.
well said! Agree 100%
Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree with @JerryGTI — You can own a white car but a black car owns you!

While a black car, that is maintained properly (and never, never ever, parked in a retail store parking lot) is a stunning looking car, that stunning look comes at a steep price in spending exorbitant time maintaining the paint finish. Black screams every little ding / blemish / dirt / dust / surface imperfection.

A white car is much more forgiving as far as minor imperfections and doesn’t require as much constant attention.

Think of it this way (this is not “PC” so forgive me upfront) —

A black car is like a needy girlfriend while a white car is like a wife, far less demanding and more forgiving.

Purely Personal Opinion, based on my life’s experiences. As always, YMMV!

— John
so well said. My previous car was black and stunning...for a day...then it was dusty...then it was washed...then it was swirl marked.

To the OP, I know this a Black vs. White thread but have you give any consideration to grey? Best of both worlds.

Last edited by SolventSolution; 06-19-2019 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I You can own a white car but a black car owns you!
This is so true. I take my white car to the car wash and think nothing of it. I would NEVER do that with my wife's black car: I wash it by hand using microfiber towels. I lightly dust the interior using microfiber towels too, since it has piano black inlays that, while they look great, also show scratches very easily. Fortunately, my wife doesn't worry or care about scratches very much, and is very happy owning a black car.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJoon
Hi Guys,

I need help picking out color for my future S5 Cabrio. I'm having a hard time deciding which color to with; Black or White.

I've always been a black car guy but I do like the look of the white S5 with RS grill and blacked out trims.

For the interior, you guys think that I should go with luxury package to add ventilated seat with heated neck warmer? I'm located near Washington DC area and does get up to 100 during the summer time. But I do like the Magma red sport seat. The luxury package seats look very plain.

If you guys have any pictures of black/white cabrio would be great. Thanks.
We have a 2017 A4 in Ibis White. I have a 2018 RS5 in Daytona Gray Pearl. The Ibis White is a beautiful color, stays unbelievably clean (even when truly dusty) in appearance, and with a Sportline Package, offsets the silver/black of wheels/tires/auto glass etal. My DGP RS5 can be perfectly clean (has been professionally ceramic coated/protected) and 12 miles later, after a drive on dry city roads, and parking inside in an underground office garage, I'll pull out to go home and see a coating of dust on the hood. Know it's not really visible to anyone else, but it drives me crazy. I owned black BMW, Lexus, Toyota and MB ML63 AMG, and all were a complete bear to keep clean. In the winter, you have to just eat the fact that you're gonna have a dirty car for 4 months. not the case with white. If I could have a "do-over", even though I love the DGP when clean, I'd opt for a white, or perhaps even the Nardo....
Old 06-21-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I own a mythos black and im the kind of person to put extra attention to scratches and swirls, got to say having ceramic coated it makes life a bit easier in detailing and with proper washing helps. That said, ive used my brother's white cars and they stay clean to the eye no matter what so if i have to do it again i will go with white. Don't get me wrong, i love black however starting to feel the hassle of having multiple black cars.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd vote for Daytona Gray Pearl instead of black or white as well.

I also don't consider the two S5 blacks to be equal. I was deciding between Daytona Gray and the Brilliant Black, which looks fantastic in-person on the cabriolet; and better IMO than the more common Mythos black (which is an upcharge).
The following 2 users liked this post by WasSD18S5CAB:
Nikon1 (06-21-2019), SolventSolution (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Another vote for DGP. It doesn't hide dirt as well as white, but is significantly better than black in that regard.
The following 2 users liked this post by JD15:
Nikon1 (06-21-2019), SolventSolution (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

4th Solid Vote for DGP! Far less “upkeep” than either Black or White.

— John
The following users liked this post:
SolventSolution (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would not recommend a black car. They are absolutely stunning for about 10 minutes after a detail.
If it’s between black or white, I’d go white. But truly Florette Silver or DGP are very easy to keep clean.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had both black and white Audi's over the years. Black is always a stunner but a real PIA to maintain. As once said by a female customer in an Audi showroom "black only looks great on a showroom floor," guess it could be the fluorescent lights. My last four Audi's have been Glacier white, easily maintained and as previously stated, you don't mind running them through a hand washed car wash. I don't know if undercoating has changed are not, but it use to be white which helps tremendously with stone chips and such. Black to me is a full time job and at this stage of my life I don't relish hand washing any car myself. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Black or White Need Help - S5 Cabrio