Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

BMW's new inline 6's are insane. The S5/RS5 really need a power bump

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmoney
I have a RS5 SB and a X3M competition. The S58 is legit and the X3M definitely feels faster than the RS5. Overall I like the characteristics of the 2.9 better. More responsive and less lag.
apologies digging up an older post... think you might be the subject matter expert here as I'm debating between RS5 and X3M (among others in the same price/performance realm) after B9 S4 lease is up soon. Interesting you say about the responsiveness and lag as other reviews also bring up the low end turbo lag in the S58 engine. How would you compare that versus the throttle/transmission delay in the audi? How you liking the two cars otherwise?
The following users liked this post:
bbbobbb (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo64
apologies digging up an older post... think you might be the subject matter expert here as I'm debating between RS5 and X3M (among others in the same price/performance realm) after B9 S4 lease is up soon. Interesting you say about the responsiveness and lag as other reviews also bring up the low end turbo lag in the S58 engine. How would you compare that versus the throttle/transmission delay in the audi? How you liking the two cars otherwise?
In the same boat but with a B9 S5. I already extended my lease for 6 months, VW/Audi FS. This means that at anytime during the extension I can turn it in without penalty. I too am considering the X3MC especially with 10-12% off MSRP + incentives available all day long. That and the fact that I could special order (when SC is back up and running) and have exactly what I want in 5-6 weeks as opposed to 4-5 months for a factory ordered Audi.

If Audi would just bump the 2.9 to about 500hp then I would consider it. I am also looking at the F-Pace SVR, Alfa Stelvio Quadrofolio along with the X3MC, all of these have minor or major refreshes for the upcoming model year. The X3M is getting ID7, the other two are getting much more mid-life upgrades.

Why Audi could you not give us a RSQ5???
Old 04-28-2020, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bbbobbb
In the same boat but with a B9 S5. I already extended my lease for 6 months, VW/Audi FS. This means that at anytime during the extension I can turn it in without penalty. I too am considering the X3MC especially with 10-12% off MSRP + incentives available all day long. That and the fact that I could special order (when SC is back up and running) and have exactly what I want in 5-6 weeks as opposed to 4-5 months for a factory ordered Audi.

If Audi would just bump the 2.9 to about 500hp then I would consider it. I am also looking at the F-Pace SVR, Alfa Stelvio Quadrofolio along with the X3MC, all of these have minor or major refreshes for the upcoming model year. The X3M is getting ID7, the other two are getting much more mid-life upgrades.

Why Audi could you not give us a RSQ5???
Think we are in the same boat for sure! Yea they really dropped the ball not bumping the power on the RS5 facelift, or at least give it the 48v mild hybrid tech which might help with the response issue. Though tbh will prob get a sweeter deal on a loyalty Audi offer so not counting anything out.

I got similar list as you... Think shortlist so far is GLC63S/C63S while the V8 is still around this and the X3M or upcoming M3/M4. Also looking at the facelifted Macan Turbo, with the 2.9L V6 and PDK this might be the RS5 that should've been built all along! Good shout on the Alfa and Jag facelift, will see what they bring as the current car seem to be behind in overall execution (but wins more on character I think).
Old 04-28-2020, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

I actually switched from a RS5 SB to a X3MC after a lot of picking Brian's brain on it. The X3 in full sports mode is really aggressive quick violent shifts, a lot of being thrown back into your chair. Takes a bit of time for the suspension to loosen up, and still firmer than a rs5. At first that through me off, also tire pressure matters a lot, they seem to come a bit over inflated. I generally drive in sports mode, not sport plus, and great for the day to day.

The engine is a beast, gas mileage is a casualty of that. It has great speed, I think it matches up about even to the rs5. Tunes already exist and they've really pulled some amazing power out. Once things calm down I plan to flash her, drop her on mss springs(apparentl even though they drop the height the spring rate is a bit better for daily driving), and install a intake.

They are both amazing cars, I like the note on the X3M a bit more. The extra trunk room has been good for my needs. I think if I could have both I would, but the X3M meets my needs a bit better. The deals on the X3MC were amazing in Dec, can't imagine how good they are now.

Before and After.

Voodoo64 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mabs
I actually switched from a RS5 SB to a X3MC after a lot of picking Brian's brain on it. The X3 in full sports mode is really aggressive quick violent shifts, a lot of being thrown back into your chair. Takes a bit of time for the suspension to loosen up, and still firmer than a rs5. At first that through me off, also tire pressure matters a lot, they seem to come a bit over inflated. I generally drive in sports mode, not sport plus, and great for the day to day.

The engine is a beast, gas mileage is a casualty of that. It has great speed, I think it matches up about even to the rs5. Tunes already exist and they've really pulled some amazing power out. Once things calm down I plan to flash her, drop her on mss springs(apparentl even though they drop the height the spring rate is a bit better for daily driving), and install a intake.

They are both amazing cars, I like the note on the X3M a bit more. The extra trunk room has been good for my needs. I think if I could have both I would, but the X3M meets my needs a bit better. The deals on the X3MC were amazing in Dec, can't imagine how good they are now.

Before and After.
Cheers for that! Very impressive what the X3M can do despite all the weight. Gonna need to test drive and see how the stiff ride works on rather crappy Toronto roads but think my heart is more set on an edgier sports experience so leaning the M or AMG route. Guess not in any real hurry these days anyways and will see what the lighter M3/M4 can do when those come out.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 598 Likes on 430 Posts

Cheers for that! Very impressive what the X3M can do despite all the weight. Gonna need to test drive and see how the stiff ride works on rather crappy Toronto roads but think my heart is more set on an edgier sports experience so leaning the M or AMG route. Guess not in any real hurry these days anyways and will see what the lighter M3/M4 can do when those come out.
This is kind of why I'm leaning towards a RS5. I had a 2011 E90 M3 with the competition package and while it was a great car, It was a bit too "twitchy" for everyday driving in Toronto; especially in the spring before they repaired the potholes. I also like the fact that the RS5 is AWD although the new M3 addresses this. That's the main reason why I'm not really looking at the C63. However, the next gen C63 is supposed to get the 4matic+ AWD system.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
This is kind of why I'm leaning towards a RS5. I had a 2011 E90 M3 with the competition package and while it was a great car, It was a bit too "twitchy" for everyday driving in Toronto; especially in the spring before they repaired the potholes. I also like the fact that the RS5 is AWD although the new M3 addresses this. That's the main reason why I'm not really looking at the C63. However, the next gen C63 is supposed to get the 4matic+ AWD system.
Yea 500hp + rwd + winter + my lead foot prob won't equate to too many good results, hence looking more on the GLC63 side

Seems like a lot of you folks really enjoy the RS5 so I better get some real world testing in hopefully soon! Seems like some good factory incentives on the leftover 2019s
Old 04-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo64;25449631/
Seems like a lot of you folks really enjoy the RS5 so I better get some real world testing in hopefully soon! Seems like some good factory incentives on the leftover 2019s

And a “touch-wheel” control, not a touchscreen for your controls!

— John
Old 04-29-2020, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

— John
Indeed, I look forward to a daily drive just so I can get my hand on the touch-wheel, the S5 would not be an S5 without the touch-wheel. You can probably tell I adore that little wheel.
Nikon1 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by synergize
Indeed, I look forward to a daily drive just so I can get my hand on the touch-wheel, the S5 would not be an S5 without the touch-wheel. You can probably tell I adore that little wheel.
Originally Posted by Nikon1

— John
Yep! outside a few instances in Android Auto, the scroll wheel is the superior control medium for in-car control, not to mention the nice tactile feel of its operations... why couldn't audi keep the wheel and add touchscreens like mb and bmw

Quick Reply: BMW's new inline 6's are insane. The S5/RS5 really need a power bump