Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Brake pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts
Default Brake pedal feel

I've noticed that I get this strange "crunchy" feel on the bottom of my foot as I depress the brake pedal slowly (say I'm creeping along in traffic). It only happens on the first inch or two of pedal travel and doesn't really feel like it's a result of anything the actual brakes are doing. The best way I can describe it is that first few inches is not smooth, kind of like if a perfectly lubed cylinder had some grit on the top of the travel. Definitely not something my wife would like ermmm.

Anyone experience anything like this? It's only got 500 miles on it, but my 2018 S5 Coupe never did this. Could it have something to do with a bad brake booster? I didn't think there was much mechanical going on down there.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I get this almost "no brake" feel when I have to override the ACC during a sudden slowdown. It scares me every time.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
I get this almost "no brake" feel when I have to override the ACC during a sudden slowdown. It scares me every time.
You don't have to override the ACC deceleration, it works fine on its own. Try setting ACC to Auto to see it gives you more confidence.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
You don't have to override the ACC deceleration, it works fine on its own. Try setting ACC to Auto to see it gives you more confidence.
Lol no. Not a good idea. You can't trust the tech yet. Not even on a Tesla.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MH62
I'm talking about when I'm approaching fast stopping traffic, and Pre-Sense flashes at me because ACC can no longer slow down fast enough and I have to take over... At that point, the brake pedal feels like a brick. It still works, but just feels weird.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm talking about when I'm approaching fast stopping traffic, and Pre-Sense flashes at me because ACC can no longer slow down fast enough and I have to take over... At that point, the brake pedal feels like a brick. It still works, but just feels weird.
is it the ABS kicking in?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

That's because I think the brakes are primed for a sudden stop as needed. They come on very quickly.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sthulin
is it the ABS kicking in?
Sorry to be hijacking this thread...

No, you know how when you have ACC set to 80 mph and you're approaching an off ramp with tons of cars already stopped? ACC would slow down to a degree but then towards the end it would flash and beep and basically tell you to take over. When you then step on the brakes, the pedal is hard as a rock but still works (thankfully!). No, it's not ABS, there's plenty of distance to stop. This is the message.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My biggest issue with the brakes is that they are very noisy.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burrcold
I've noticed that I get this strange "crunchy" feel on the bottom of my foot as I depress the brake pedal slowly (say I'm creeping along in traffic). It only happens on the first inch or two of pedal travel and doesn't really feel like it's a result of anything the actual brakes are doing. The best way I can describe it is that first few inches is not smooth, kind of like if a perfectly lubed cylinder had some grit on the top of the travel. Definitely not something my wife would like ermmm.

Anyone experience anything like this? It's only got 500 miles on it, but my 2018 S5 Coupe never did this. Could it have something to do with a bad brake booster? I didn't think there was much mechanical going on down there.
Back to OP’s question: YES. I have this exact thing you’re describing on my RS5 SB. It’s as if some part of the pedal mechanism is slipping/resisting a little as I depress, then after an inch or so of pedal travel it feels totally normal. I’ve had this since new and I’ve pointed it out several times during various service visits but they just think I’m crazy. It’s subtle, but it bothers me - a lot.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal feel