Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Brand New S5 - Paint Protection Film Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Congrats on the car. Identical to mine down to the rep calipers. I understand wanting to get the car ceramic coated, however if the most susceptible areas are already getting covered in PPF, it seem a bit redundant. I know that ceramic can go over the PPF, but to me it seems like spraying scotchgard on a sofa cover. I’ve got PPF on full hood, both front fenders, full front incl headlights, mirrors, a-pillars, strip in front of sunroof, sunroof, rear wheel arches, and top of rear bumper. There really isn’t much left exposed. Anyway, something to consider if you don’t have the appetite for the big expenditure. Definitely go full hood with the PPF

edit: my (your) car with tint

Last edited by NABS4; 08-17-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly P
I think you're absolutely right! I do get the sense he doesn't want to do the giant hood.
Yes, he doesn’t want to cut it. I was speaking to my installer regarding the hood and there is no template for the jig for the complete hood. It is a two person job and it needs to be cut by hand and it is a tough piece to cut.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I have the S5 Coupe in Daytona Gray and I believe the rear passenger side windows are tinted slightly — but I still had both front and rear side windows and the rear window tinted. 35% on the rears and 50% on the front using a ceramic tint to greatly reduce the Ultraviolet light coming through. I’m going to go back to the shop and get the sunroof glass tinted to a 0% level as even with the sunscreen mesh closed, at noon there is still a lot of glare coming in. Just an idea for you to not overlook.

Best of Luck with your new Audi and welcome to AudiWorld. Always glad to have another Daytona Gray in the Club!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4

Yes, he doesn’t want to cut it. I was speaking to my installer regarding the hood and there is no template for the jig for the complete hood. It is a two person job and it needs to be cut by hand and it is a tough piece to cut.
Your car looks awesome! Thanks for the intel on this. You guys are all on the same page on the full hood.

With respect to the ceramic on the other parts of the car, to me it means I don't have to wax it every few months. It goes in for a $100 top up once a year which sounds pretty good.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:24 PM
Club AutoUnion

Forgot to add to my previous post - I had mine ceramic coated within the first couple of days and I strongly recommend it - especially the wheels. Audi’s — I’ve come to find — throw brake dust like a long haired cat sheds! With a good ceramic coating, most of the dust come off with a stream of water. And, it will really protect the paint where you don’t have the ppl.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I used the package from the dealer ($1299), BUT insisted on Llumar and specified the entire hood, front end, mirrors and front blistered quarter-panels. I asked to speak with the company they subcontracted to, and talked to the owner. They had been certified by Audi, and sent templates of the RS5 front end (so many parts, angles, levels, vents, lights, honeycomb grill etc,) so that they could laser cut each piece to fit. It was a 3 day job where my dealer gave me a nice A6 to drive. Can see some of the seams on the front, but overall, after 4700 miles, no chips! .

Last edited by kctiger1983; 08-17-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Club AutoUnion

That is inexpensive for what you received. When I priced out a similar job from a local shop for almost exactly what you had done, with the Llumar film it was over $2,000.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2018 RS5 in Daytona Grey. I drove it directly from the dealership to the a shop that does PPF and ceramic coatings. Luckily it was only a few kilometers away.

I had Xpel Ultimate (a self healing PPF) applied to the fully covered hood (this was custom work as the official kit/template separates the hood into 3 separate sections, which for aesthetic reasons, I did not want), headlights, front bumper, front splitter, front fenders, A pillars, side sills/rocker panels, mirrors, rear fender and rear bumper. I also had both outer door edges (a must!) and the concave area by the door handles done as well.

From there, I added the Ceramic Pro 9H Gold package (4 coats of 9H) on the entire car (including wheels, brake calipers, int/ext carbon fiber, etc. ).

I am super **** about maintaining “showroom condition” of my vehicles (I also had done this with my previous GLA45 AMG-driven 15000 Km’s and not a scratch!) and I can not recommend this approach/investment enough. Excellent paint chip/scratch protection, and like others have said, the car practically cleans itself.

Finding a professionally trained and experienced installer is paramount. My installation is flawless. No seams, all edges are tucked in, no over stretching of the material, just perfect.

Last edited by vraptor65; 08-17-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
That is inexpensive for what you received. When I priced out a similar job from a local shop for almost exactly what you had done, with the Llumar film it was over $2,000.
I think I finagled a little discount by allowing them to do the 35% ceramic window tint for $500. Should have done the sunroof also....
Old 08-17-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your car is gorgeous!

Quick Reply: Brand New S5 - Paint Protection Film Opinions please