Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Caliper differences between coupe and SB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper differences between coupe and SB?

I'm super bummed that my dream wheel setup is a total bust.

I ordered custom black gloss Vorsteiner 102s for my B9 SB. They assured me that they would clear a B9 caliper setup with 5mm spacers since they have done this fitment before.

I took them in to my (high-end, reliable, knows what they're doing) wheel shop to install today and the 5mm spacers don't clear the calipers. If they double the spacers and go to 10mm the calipers will just barely clear but this leaves a huge amount of the wheel/tire outside of the fender.

Vorsteiner swore they have done a test setup with the 5mm configuration on a B9, but I assume it was on a couple. Is it possible that the calipers are different on a SB which is why they aren't fitting? Photo showing the fitment I was expecting
Photo showing the fitment I got
Old 08-18-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks to hear. Hopefully you can get this returned and order another wheel that fits soon.

What were the specs on your VFF102s? 20x10 et30?
Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoSierra5
I'm super bummed that my dream wheel setup is a total bust.

I ordered custom black gloss Vorsteiner 102s for my B9 SB. They assured me that they would clear a B9 caliper setup with 5mm spacers since they have done this fitment before.
No difference between the 3 B9 S5 versions (RS5 is different).

But your photos are comparing a B8 RS5 to your B9 S5 Sportback????

The B8 RS5 has a different track, different OEM wheel width/offset, different front suspension design, different brakes and has box flare arches.

Vorsteiner don't list any of their models as suitable for a B9 S5, only the B8. INCINER8 has previously posted his experience in being told that a V-FF 103 in 10x20 ET30 would fit his B9 S5 SB, but he had to use 5mm spacers, as you know.

Looks like they have given you some bad advice, too.

The clearance of an after-market wheel is going to depend on the departure angle of the spoke from the hub to the rim, which is determined by the design and the offset. If you compare the spoke design of the V-FF 102 vs the 103, you can see why the 102 would have even more difficulty with brake clearance.

Assuming you had an ET30 wheel, you are starting with the outside of the rim 2mm beyond OEM spec. Add the spacer, you are at 12mm out (OEM ET20). Then add half of the additional wheel width (10" vs 8.5"), which is another 19mm further out. This fitment is effectively at OEM ET1 - wasn't really necessary to fit the tyre and rim to know this wouldn't work. Not to mention the scrub radius is way out.

It looks from your photos those FF102 would need to be at least ET35 to fit within (or right on) the guard, assuming the 10mm spacer provides enough clearance, as the higher ET will keep the spoke closer to the caliper. They do make an ET42 version, which may work with 10mm spacers. It is also much better from a geometry POV, not that many seem to consider this apsect. They will look a little less deep, but they should fit. Still, Vorsteiner should be working this out, not you.

Vorsteiner either need their Taiwanese manufacturer to reshape the spoke design of the V-FF 102 (and the 103), or come up with some new wheel designs.

Unless information comes from someone who actually makes wheels (like BBS), and needs to get them certified for use on the actual model (not a requirement in the US, but is in Europe), I would always be very careful to check the geometry myself. Or wait for someone else to try first

Deep dish /concave wheels can look really great, but they need to be really wide or have a super aggressive (lower positive) offset to deliver that look. Which brings all sorts of compromises with most Audi models. The A5/S5 is actually more flexible than most.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Yeah I was about to say that everything they have and your photos are of a B8/B8.5. The B9 setup is different.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

The B9's also appear to not have the flexibility that the previous generation did. The ultra aggressive, wide, deep concave look that the B8 was capable of won't necessarily fit the B9's anymore.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by freesole
That sucks to hear. Hopefully you can get this returned and order another wheel that fits soon.

What were the specs on your VFF102s? 20x10 et30?
yep. Those are the specs. 102s are deep and difficult to clear so I was worried, but they assured me they would work
Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Yeah I was about to say that everything they have and your photos are of a B8/B8.5. The B9 setup is different.
Yep. But they assured me they had done a B9 test to make sure, which is why they required the 5mm spacers
Old 08-18-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

yep. Those are the specs. 102s are deep and difficult to clear so I was worried, but they assured me they would work
Yeah I had the VFF102's before on my Q5. They have a deep concave which look great but that presents its own challenges. Which shop did you go to? I am in the Seattle area too and will be getting my S5 in October. I'm thinking about VFF107's though (fairly flat with little concavity).
Old 08-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by freesole
Yeah I had the VFF102's before on my Q5. They have a deep concave which look great but that presents its own challenges. Which shop did you go to? I am in the Seattle area too and will be getting my S5 in October. I'm thinking about VFF107's though (fairly flat with little concavity).
I go to Tru Line on Jackson and Boren. I'm probably going to exchange my 102s for 107s for the same reason
Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I go to Tru Line on Jackson and Boren. I'm probably going to exchange my 102s for 107s for the same reason
Cool, looks we might be the only 2 cars in Seattle with S5s + VFF107's then