Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Car&Driver Instumented Test RS5 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car&Driver Instumented Test RS5 Coupe

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-6-performance
Old 10-24-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just read this article earlier today. They don't care for the dynamic steering. They also don't seem to know if they like the car lol
Old 10-24-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

They share my complaint that I have for the S5. They need more emotion.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Good review. I lust for Sonoma Green.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

They pretty much boil it down. An uninvolving fast commuter car vs a more focused performance coupe that can also manage daily driving. Exactly my impression when I was taking it out into the canyons and on regular roads.
Only the Mercedes-AMG C63 comes close to matching the Audi's comfort.
The Mercedes-AMG C63 not only packs 59 more horsepower from a bawdy V-8, it does a better job managing its dual personality, acting like a traditional Mercedes when the driver is calm and transforming into a tire-eviscerating hooligan when the driver isn't.
And this is why I visited the Mercedes dealer today and got my order started. The old RS5 was more along these lines. Calm for daily driving, but R8 like screaming engine and more oversteer dynamic in the canyons. The new RS5 is too neutral and characterless for me.

Their complaints about the dynamic steering are fairly common and I think a side-effect of testing the car. In normal daily driving, the ratio changes are really very natural. Speed doesn't change as drastically that the changing ratio is an issue. One's muscle memory learns quickly how much steering input is required in each situation. I've lived with the dynamic steering for 5+ years now and I wouldn't get another Audi w/o it. If you are driving dynamically say in the canyons where you change speeds quickly, the dynamic mode is the right mode, but when driving more balanced, comfort and auto work very well. Last weekend I was even driving in the canyons with the steering in Auto mode, because my wife was with me and I had to drive more consistent and calmer and no issue with changing ratios. When I'm out by myself, then I put it into dynamic in the canyons for good reasons. I've found the best mode for 90+% of driving is with the dynamic steering in Auto and the sport differential in Dynamic.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-24-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
They pretty much boil it down. An uninvolving fast commuter car vs a more focused performance coupe that can also manage daily driving. Exactly my impression when I was taking it out into the canyons and on regular roads.

And this is why I visited the Mercedes dealer today and got my order started. The old RS5 was more along these lines. Calm for daily driving, but R8 like screaming engine and more oversteer dynamic in the canyons. The new RS5 is too neutral and characterless for me.

Their complaints about the dynamic steering are fairly common and I think a side-effect of testing the car. In normal daily driving, the ratio changes are really very natural. Speed doesn't change as drastically that the changing ratio is an issue. One's muscle memory learns quickly how much steering input is required in each situation. I've lived with the dynamic steering for 5+ years now and I wouldn't get another Audi w/o it. If you are driving dynamically say in the canyons where you change speeds quickly, the dynamic mode is the right mode, but when driving more balanced, comfort and auto work very well. Last weekend I was even driving in the canyons with the steering in Auto mode, because my wife was with me and I had to drive more consistent and calmer and no issue with changing ratios. When I'm out by myself, then I put it into dynamic in the canyons for good reasons. I've found the best mode for 90+% of driving is with the dynamic steering in Auto and the sport differential in Dynamic.
This is my complaint for the S5. It's probably the best daily driver I've ever had, but it needs some character other than understeer. Dynamic Steering is awesome in day to day driving. I love it on my S5. It also ties into the Sport differential and the other systems as well. You get the most out of the safety systems with it equipped I believe.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
This is my complaint for the S5. It's probably the best daily driver I've ever had, but it needs some character other than understeer. Dynamic Steering is awesome in day to day driving. I love it on my S5. It also ties into the Sport differential and the other systems as well. You get the most out of the safety systems with it equipped I believe.
I think it defines the B9 as a whole and most current Audis for that matter. Specifically talking about the RS5, the thing I mostly like about my '13 RS5 is that in Comfort and Auto mode it's a very refined daily driver with just an occasional hint that something is slumbering under the hood. I love doing very long road trips in it and I find it very comfortable and refined for that. My longest road trip is something like 12+ hours driving straight and no issues. But then at a click of a button you can wake the beast, start letting that engine scream and rip through the gears in manual mode and it transforms into something that reminds you of the R8. The B9 RS5 on the other hand never really steps out of its refined state of mind. For example the S mode is very subtle. You can actually drive around town in S. I can't do that in my RS5 unless I enjoy jolts through the drivetrain constantly from the aggressive downshifts when coming to a stop or slow down. I never really even drive in S as the moment I put the transmission in S, it's pretty much followed by going into M and start ripping the gears myself. In this segment, only the C63 still has this same distinct dual personality. The M4 never quite calms down enough for just normal driving.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Fast, capable & no drama, that's what I want. On my S6, I keep the steering in dynamic mode, throttle in auto and my suspension/exhaust in comfort mode. Just pull back shifter to get sport mode throttle and transmission response. With AWD, one does not experience the wheel spin or traction control kicking in standing start acceleration, unlike RWD.

From the review:
" the Audi circled our skidpad as if rails were holding its two-ton mass on the line, recording 0.95 g of lateral grip with a complete absence of drama. "

"In the Dynamic setting, the steering locks into a fixed ratio that's much more confidence inspiring... set up the Individual parameters to include the Dynamic steering setting and whichever suspension, throttle, engine-sound, and rear-differential behaviors you prefer."

If the B9 S4 was available with the 2.9T, I would not be considering the RS5 SB to replace the S6.

If I wanted drama, I would get a Mustang GT350 with the 5.2-liter flat-plane-crankshaft V-8.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
Fast, capable & no drama, that's what I want. On my S6, I keep the steering in dynamic mode, throttle in auto and my suspension/exhaust in comfort mode. Just pull back shifter to get sport mode throttle and transmission response. With AWD, one does not experience the wheel spin or traction control kicking in standing start acceleration, unlike RWD.

From the review:
" the Audi circled our skidpad as if rails were holding its two-ton mass on the line, recording 0.95 g of lateral grip with a complete absence of drama. "

"In the Dynamic setting, the steering locks into a fixed ratio that's much more confidence inspiring... set up the Individual parameters to include the Dynamic steering setting and whichever suspension, throttle, engine-sound, and rear-differential behaviors you prefer."

If the B9 S4 was available with the 2.9T, I would not be considering the RS5 SB to replace the S6.

If I wanted drama, I would get a Mustang GT350 with the 5.2-liter flat-plane-crankshaft V-8.
Thank you! You took some of the words right out of my mouth. If I wanted a car full of drama and noise I could get a hellcat . I want performance luxury. Something that I can cruise to work in on a daily basis and put in Dynamic when I want to go fast and the RS5 SB seems to knock that out of the park.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by m444

From the review:

And that's perfectly fine. There are cars that deliver that. From Audi they usually have an S badge. You are driving one right now. The S6 is the epitome of a fast, capable, drama-free luxury car. The S models are supposed to be the more livable everyday fast and capable cars, not the RS. The RS models line up against BMW M and AMG. I've said it early on, if the B9 RS5 would be called the S5 Plus and then there would be a more single focused RS5 I would have no issues with it. You say it yourself, if the S4 had the 2.9T that's what you would get. I've heard there might be an RS5 Performance coming, so maybe that's gonna be the one.

Quick Reply: Car&Driver Instumented Test RS5 Coupe