Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Clean inside of wheel how?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What I've found to help also is to use a foamer for your wheel cleaner. I spray that on and let it dwell for 5 minutes or so then power wash the wheels. That gets rid of almost all the brake dust without even agitating much at all.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Even better — when you get the car ceramic coated, have them pull the wheels off, clean the front and the barrel and have them ceramic coated, too.

Makes Clean Up day sooo much easier!

— John
Definitely makes it’s easier. I chose to only have the front section coated, because I didn’t want to have to worry about the car throwing wheel weights once the tires are rotated and balanced, the first time+. That would ruin someone’s day out on the road.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Definitely makes it’s easier. I chose to only have the front section coated, because I didn’t want to have to worry about the car throwing wheel weights once the tires are rotated and balanced, the first time+. That would ruin someone’s day out on the road.
My question is -- Why would you have the tires / wheels re-balanced when you rotate them?

The wheels and tires are what are balanced: I'm not sure anyone balances wheels and tires when they are on the car? I know, 40 + years ago, Bear had a system to balance them on the car but . . .

-- John
Old 04-07-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

My question is -- Why would you have the tires / wheels re-balanced when you rotate them?

The wheels and tires are what are balanced: I'm not sure anyone balances wheels and tires when they are on the car? I know, 40 + years ago, Bear had a system to balance them on the car but . . .

-- John
Not sure, but I know my Q5 got balanced at tire rotation, because there are missing wheel weights on my Q5. I also spoke to a few ceramic shops, when I was looking and they said that many people only ceramic the outside for that very reason. One place said they would do the rotation and balance service and could remove the ceramic and reapply. That just read as more $$$ so while they were a great shop, I just went with the same place that did my PPF.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

-- John
I used to get the tires rotated and balanced every 10K on my TSX nearly every time they moved the weights on one or more wheels. Perhaps, tires wear differently though rotation minimizes some uneven wear but not fully, specially for directional tires since they only go back and forth on the same side of the car.

BTW what to use to remove the glue residue of the wheel weights? WD40?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

-- John
The tires can physically move on the wheel, minute bends, and tire wear may cause the wheel to go out of balance. If you do get your tires rotated at most chain stores, they will balance it as well. I would advise to get a road force balance more often than not, but balancing every rotation may be overkill especially if it's a road force one.

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
I used to get the tires rotated and balanced every 10K on my TSX nearly every time they moved the weights on one or more wheels. Perhaps, tires wear differently though rotation minimizes some uneven wear but not fully, specially for directional tires since they only go back and forth on the same side of the car.

A 3M Wheel eraser or one of the knock offs. It'll take it right out easily with no fuss. Otherwise, Goo-Gone, elbow grease, and a terry towel will clean it up. Don't waste your time with WD-40.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default That's cuz they removed the weights before balancing!!!

And chances are the wheel won't balance the same way every time...normal variation.
What would be key is to have them run up the wheel on the RF balancer and see how far it's off with the old balancing.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...ning-tool.html

Old 04-10-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid
The tires can physically move on the wheel, minute bends, and tire wear may cause the wheel to go out of balance. If you do get your tires rotated at most chain stores, they will balance it as well. I would advise to get a road force balance more often than not, but balancing every rotation may be overkill especially if it's a road force one.

A 3M Wheel eraser or one of the knock offs. It'll take it right out easily with no fuss. Otherwise, Goo-Gone, elbow grease, and a terry towel will clean it up. Don't waste your time with WD-40.
Didn't have Goo Gone at home, so out of curiosity tried WD40 loosened up the glue enough to be scraped away easily with the back of my utility knife blade.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

..loosened up the glue enough to be scraped away easily with the back of my utility knife blade.
apparently 'going under the knife' works many cosmetic wonders

Quick Reply: Clean inside of wheel how?