Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Cooling Fan Running after car off

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcd
Thank you for replies. The fan comes on max within 10 seconds of turning car on and stays on for duration of drive, plus another 5-10 minutes. Car is scheduled to go in March 2, the soonest they had valet service. I live approximately an hour from dealer with traffic.
My concerns are that it will kill the battery or cause long term damage to my fan or something else. There's something clearly wrong with the car. I've had it for 16 months and this behavior started two days ago.
My Porsche 911 993 Turbo’s fan will run after I shut it off for quite awhile on and off after running it hard. It’s been very cold up here in the North East so have to wait and see once the temps go up after running my S5 hard if the fans run afterwards.

The following users liked this post:
DUBITUP (02-20-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After getting your guys advice, I parked the car until March 2. Car went in and notified yesterday it's the thermostat as you guys predicted. Thank you.

Sort of enjoyed driving my daughters Honda CRV, my old fat azz got in and out of it easier. (-:
Old 03-07-2020, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normal to have fan run for about 5-10 minutes or so when ambient temps are above 65F.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skytop
Normal to have fan run for about 5-10 minutes or so when ambient temps are above 65F.
I’ve had car for 16 months in Florida and this behavior just started.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine's going in for this on Thursday, there are fault codes for a cylinder header temperature sensor.

It's also the same sort of age, and I think I've seen a couple of other people with the same symptoms at around the same car age so I wonder if there was a bad batch of sensors produced around that time?

I've had to drive it (and the dealer didn't suggest I avoid it) for about 800 miles while waiting for the appointment and the issues have been increased fuel consumption, poor interior heating and the fan noise. The fan would run a lot if using the aircon so I'm not worried about that though.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Just another issue with my '18 RS5. Had been in the shop to replace the rear struts that were broken(?) causing a bad rattling noise. Replaced under warranty. As dealer is 200 miles away I had a loaner for a few days and they returned my car yesterday and picked up the loaner. Today driving to the office I noticed a high pitched noise and when I stopped I realized the cooling fan was running at a very high speed. Never happened before in 28k miles. Called dealer. Don't drive. Call Audi Road Assist. Car will be picked up shortly and trucked to dealer on a flatbed. Until these two incidents, this was the best Audi I have ever had (been driving Audi's since 1980) including a '13 RS5. a '15 S3 (wives car) and an '18 S5. Not so sure now...
Old 03-12-2020, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Let us know what they find. Certainly sounds like the same symptom but maybe not identical cause.

Mine's in today (luckily just 5 minutes walk from my office). Hopefully it's just the sensor that the fault code identified.

These are complex machines, thousands of components made by many suppliers. I'm not going to upset myself over the odd glitch, few things in life are perfect!

I wonder if this is the start of a wider issue with the same sensor(s)? We'll see over the rest of the year I guess.
Nikon1 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

So mine S5 was fixed yesterday. It wasn't the temperature sensor which the fault codes alluded to.

It was the main thermostat / valve that controls the flow of water to the radiator.

The silver metal can part should be sealed against the black plastic. But it had come loose. This allowed water to always flow through the radiator in the classic way, so it never fully warmed up and scared the hell out of the ECU which ran the fan all the time in case the fault was really an overheating and damaging one.

(*scared the hell out of = technical name for the algorithm implemented by the developers of the software)

It seems to be a manufacturing defect in the part, they said they've had a couple of others with the same failure. It remains to be seen if there are going to be thousands of them fail this way or maybe just a small number.

Anyway, all sorted under warranty and it's great to have it back to how it should be.
Nikon1 (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 03:42 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

@paradyne — Thank You for that “Technical Translation” of the software algorithm! There is never too much humour in these threads.

— John
Old 03-13-2020, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by paradyne
This allowed water to always flow through the radiator in the classic way, so it never fully warmed up
Thanks for the update / info.

I'm guessing your engine temperature 'bar graph' indicator never showed normal operating engine temperature as a result?

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Running after car off