Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Cross shopping an A5 with a Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross shopping an A5 with a Model 3

Now that the big reveal is over, I logged into tesla.com and see the 3 with the longer range battery will only take 2-4 months longer to deliver than the A5 (already had a 1k deposit down with Tesla from April 1, 2016). Given the span of how long I would own a car, the difference in delivery dates is negligible. Optioning up fully is about the same price as a Prestige (a little more), before discounting the federal tax credit, which is probably realistic given the sooner than expected delivery date.

To me, there is no doubt that the A5 is a better looking car, one of the best on the road ever in this price range, a much more interesting interior, has great storage, and there will be far fewer on the road in a few short years.

What attracts me to a Tesla more than anything is the self driving capability, which from videos I've seen recently, still needs more work, but in 1-2 years time I fully expect it to be as good as what Musk is promising. The thought of being able to disengage from driving when tired, for instance, is really appealing (eventually). Second is the over-the-air software update capability which will always be improving the algorithms, unlike being stuck with no improvements to the drivers assistance systems in an A5 or any other typical car, without trading up to a newer vehicle. Third is the lower expected fuel and maintenance costs that come with an electric car. Fourth, the long range battery is actually a bit faster than an A5, (5.1s 0-60).

I'm curious if anyone else here with pending orders is facing a similar decision, or what thoughts A5 owners may have (biased or not). Once a local dealer has one in stock to preview, I will be headed over to get a first hand look.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Doone
Now that the big reveal is over, I logged into tesla.com and see the 3 with the longer range battery will only take 2-4 months longer to deliver than the A5 (already had a 1k deposit down with Tesla from April 1, 2016). Given the span of how long I would own a car, the difference in delivery dates is negligible. Optioning up fully is about the same price as a Prestige (a little more), before discounting the federal tax credit, which is probably realistic given the sooner than expected delivery date.

To me, there is no doubt that the A5 is a better looking car, one of the best on the road ever in this price range, a much more interesting interior, has great storage, and there will be far fewer on the road in a few short years.

What attracts me to a Tesla more than anything is the self driving capability, which from videos I've seen recently, still needs more work, but in 1-2 years time I fully expect it to be as good as what Musk is promising. The thought of being able to disengage from driving when tired, for instance, is really appealing (eventually). Second is the over-the-air software update capability which will always be improving the algorithms, unlike being stuck with no improvements to the drivers assistance systems in an A5 or any other typical car, without trading up to a newer vehicle. Third is the lower expected fuel and maintenance costs that come with an electric car. Fourth, the long range battery is actually a bit faster than an A5, (5.1s 0-60).

I'm curious if anyone else here with pending orders is facing a similar decision, or what thoughts A5 owners may have (biased or not). Once a local dealer has one in stock to preview, I will be headed over to get a first hand look.
Three things for me:
-- Research the horrible wait times for Tesla service, and parts if you ever need the car repaired from an accident. This is before they deliver a gazillion Model 3s.
-- I love being on the bleeding edge of technology, but not when it comes to being a beta tester for autonomous driving. My life and that of my family and others are too important to me, and the technology is not mature enough yet for me to feel comfortable using it in the manner in which you describe.
-- Model 3 interior... Yuck. Amateurish. And probably pretty distracting and unsafe to have everything controlled on a non-haptic center touch screen.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't see what this "over-the-air software updates" hype is all about. This is going to be common practice in 1-2 years on many cars. Never mind that GM just announced it's going to launch this soon, but companies like Volvo already have the capabilities in place, it's just not "turned on" yet to do so. Heck, my John Deere tractor has had over-the-air software updates for a number of years. OTA updates will be backwards-compatible anyhow on cars with modems (which is a lot right now). To me this is no reason to buy a Tesla...everyone will have this, likely before even the Model 3 pre-orders are all manufactured.

And that thing about updated safety features not being backwards-compatible on older models...I wouldn't say Tesla has the market cornered on this either. Volvo already adding enhanced autonomy functional to previous model years through new software coming on current cars, a practice I'm sure we will see from many brands.

After seeing the model 3 interior....YIKES, I'd rather drive an endless number of alternatives over that penalty box, what are they thinking?!? Get the Audi and save yourself a ton of hassle. I don't see how the Model 3 is ever going to be a success after they run out of "early adopters". It's like the used Tesla car market....everyone that wanted one bought a new one, and now no one wants a used one, so what are they going to do with them? Audi all the way!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder if the the model 3 is polished with snake oil
Old 07-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I not only watched the reveal live stream Friday night, I read more detailed hands-on reviews, and saw YouTube videos of first drives there.

NOT impressed.

The A5 SB is a more pleasing exterior design, and the interior is no contest. Having a giant laptop (even bigger than biggest iPad Pro) sized touchscreen is a major distraction and could be very dangerous. A driver would have to take eye off road to use it to find where to touch for, say, a change in radio stations (speaking of which, no AM is offered), or changing AC settings or ventilation, or whatever. We have steering wheel controls for many functions. Or easy to find buttons for other things that don't take our attention off the road. We have virtual cockpits! There is NO instrument cluster or VC in the M3. Simplicity and minimalism taken to an absurd extreme.

Also, while Elon Musk insisted lines will get better at SuperCharging stations because they will triple the number of chargers by the end of next year, that hardly seems adequate to handle the surge in M3's on the road. Why hassle with that?

Other factors: a 15 cubic foot trunk with seats up, compared to our 21. HUD is nothing like ours. We don't know what the ride and handling is like, though I assume it would be good. All-glass roof (optional) seems it would really heat the interior on sunny days with what appears to be no shades to cover the glass. And I don't see that SiriusXM satellite radio will be offered. There are many others.

Self-driving software seems years away still, not 1-2 years away, and by the time you'll actually have it available for download your first gen 2018 M3 will be likely at least four years old and you'll want a newer version anyway. Plus, I agree with earlier comment about not wanting to be guinea pig with complete autonomy. Let the kinks be worked out for several years by others.

I think I convinced myself to request a refund of my $1k deposit!

Last edited by RockedUp; 07-30-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Also don't forget tesla and it's purchase of solar city may cause the company to go bankrupt

They have had 2 profitable quarters in 14 years of existence

What happens to the warranty and service if tesla fails
Old 07-30-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Meow.

Then, of course, there is this.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. Lots of great points, many of which have crossed my mind. I think I will need to see this in person and drive it for myself to see if the hype is justified. But the Motor Trend reviewer seemed awed by the production car on a test drive. Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

Hopefully, the Model 3 will be more cat resistant.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I requested my Model 3 deposit back when I took delivery of my A5 SB... I had a brief tinge of remorse when I read the Motor Trend article yesterday - they've addressed a lot of my concerns about it - but overall I don't think I could get used to that interior. Plus, by the time I dress it up the way I want its a $59k car. $9000 for the extra 90miles of range! That would really grind my gears. I'll look at version 2 down the road probably.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pi-guy
I requested my Model 3 deposit back when I took delivery of my A5 SB... I had a brief tinge of remorse when I read the Motor Trend article yesterday - they've addressed a lot of my concerns about it - but overall I don't think I could get used to that interior. Plus, by the time I dress it up the way I want its a $59k car. $9000 for the extra 90miles of range! That would really grind my gears. I'll look at version 2 down the road probably.
Apples to apples, if you want AWD as we have with our Audi's, it will cost well over $59k the way you want it. The loaded M3 at $59.5k is just a RWD version. The dual motor AWD version won't be made until sometime next year, it appears. My guess is that takes the fully loaded cost to the mid $60's!

No thanks.

Quick Reply: Cross shopping an A5 with a Model 3