Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

CRUNCH!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I had a rocker panel repaired on a navy blue A6 a few years back. The damaged area was about 8 inches long and 2 inches tall. It was pushed inward 1/2 inch or so at the center. The shop filled it and painted, blending it in over a foot or so. No one would ever see it. That repair only cost about $500. I had a Toyota Tundra and I forgot about a utility trailer I was towing and backed up and jackknifed it into the rear quarter behind the wheel. The distorted area was a good two feet square with a hole punched through the middle. I had that repaired at a local shop and the paint blended. It was invisible unless you looked under the truck at the backside of the panel. I paid $1400.for that repair IIRC. Even if your insurance pays, I would shop around.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Waggin
Two other Audi certified shops, one in a dealer, other independent (within 20 miles each) If they do the paint transition in the 12" of narrow space above the scratched area, it should be barely visible.
I just hope all the shops don't insist on doing the same as the first. If they do, then I'll find a non-Audi shop to do it. Perhaps the one that replaced the rear quarter panel on my A3 some years ago.. That was an undetectable job, and didn't cost an insane amount as I recall. Worst thing about it was having to drive a cheap rental for a week.
Now, if someone else was at fault, I'd insist on having it put back to perfectly original condition, but I'm not going to screw myself over any more than I already have by hitting the wall in the first place
What finally happened/final decision?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
What finally happened/final decision?
State Farm quoted me $1600, and I'm going with one of their recommended shops. They have a new door on order, and they say SF will usually pay for anything they add on.. (like the door)
I'm also going to have them pull the silver mirror caps and paint them body color while they're doing the rest of it for $150 (Cheaper than replacement caps.)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

State Farm quoted me $1600, and I'm going with one of their recommended shops. They have a new door on order, and they say SF will usually pay for anything they add on.. (like the door)
I'm also going to have them pull the silver mirror caps and paint them body color while they're doing the rest of it for $150 (Cheaper than replacement caps.)
Seems much more reasonable than $9K+! Are you claiming on your insurance? Sounds like it. Good luck and keep us updated and photos when its done.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Good for you. $9K is ridiculous for that.

I got into an accident in my S5 with far more front end damage and the dealer recommended Audi certified body shop charged my insurance $17K. I'm sure this was inflated too, but they had to do a lot more, including new headlight, crumpled hood, side panel, from door, some new sensors, PreSense alignment etc.

If they can do all of that in $17K even with the inflated prices and repairs, you should not have been quoted $9K.