Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dash says P, but car in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash says P, but car in Reverse

2018 S5 Hatchback.
This morning, put car in reverse to back out of garage. Started to pull out and noticed Dash says "P". Got video of it. Called dealer and reasonably surprised. Video sent to them and now awaiting response.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcd
2018 S5 Hatchback.
This morning, put car in reverse to back out of garage. Started to pull out and noticed Dash says "P". Got video of it. Called dealer and reasonably surprised. Video sent to them and now awaiting response.
Yikes! A bit scary. Keep us posted on the response.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
Yikes! A bit scary. Keep us posted on the response.
Why would it be scary? They put it in reverse and it reversed. Now if it had gone forward after selecting reverse that would be scary.

My guess would be a random glitch stopped the instrument cluster getting the CAN bus message about that selection. I would only worry if it keeps doing it.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by paradyne
Why would it be scary? They put it in reverse and it reversed. Now if it had gone forward after selecting reverse that would be scary.
Imagine you stopped on a steep hill. You check and it says Park, but when you step out of the car it starts accelerating backward... A lot of things can go wrong. Also, the safety parking brake mechanism only engages if you open the door while the car is not in Park. So if the car thinks it's in Park when it's not, it's a big deal.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:56 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Imagine you stopped on a steep hill. You check and it says Park, but when you step out of the car it starts accelerating backward... A lot of things can go wrong. Also, the safety parking brake mechanism only engages if you open the door while the car is not in Park. So if the car thinks it's in Park when it's not, it's a big deal.
So, pull up on the e-brake button before you put the car in park. That’s my preferred method as this is my first automatic transmission in about 45 years.
The following users liked this post:
Richr (07-05-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps it's just my way of thinking then?, I'm looking at it from the point of view of a system of connected components. If the transmission indicator (by the lever) says one thing after you physically select it and yet does another, then yes absolutely that's a problem.

But if it's just the extra display on the instrument cluster that just once missed a CAN bus message and didn't update, that's just something I'd keep an eye on.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1

So, pull up on the e-brake button before you put the car in park. That’s my preferred method as this is my first automatic transmission in about 45 years.
Yeah of course but systems nowadays need to be idiot proof. There was that actor who got crushed by a Jeep on his own driveway because of the confusing shifter. If the instrument cluster says P but the car is in R, it's a problem.
https://money.cnn.com/2016/06/20/aut...hin/index.html
Old 03-08-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by paradyne
But if it's just the extra display on the instrument cluster that just once missed a CAN bus message and didn't update, that's just something I'd keep an eye on.
Some people rely on the VC display exclusively so if it says P anywhere, it's a problem. If you provide critical information in multiple places, then each of them need to be accurate, especially with these newer shifters that don't show the actual position of the lever. Let's hope OP didn't program anything with OBDEleven for VC because the dealer could blame it on that.

Last edited by luder888; 03-08-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Fair point, I retract my original comment! (Is one allowed to not be argumentative online these days??)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoke with service adviser. After communicating with foreman, he said to keep an eye on it. I'm comfortable with that, but surprised they didn't want to have the car checked out for at least liability purposes.

Quick Reply: Dash says P, but car in Reverse