Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Day 2 of trying to install a simple license plate frame...FRUSTRATION!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Day 2 of trying to install a simple license plate frame...FRUSTRATION!

I must say...I've never seen anything like this!

I have an Audi C/F frame that I'm trying to install on the trunk, the plastic dealer frame was thicker and the %$#@!& plastic bolts barely hold it on tight and was a no-go with my frame, even with the supplied spacers.

So I figure no biggie, I'll just get shorter bolts...fast forward to ACE and I pick up 2 stainless phillips head bolts which look like they'll do the trick, try them in the store's thread matcher and they seem exact.

I get home, the bolts are slightly oversized and the metal inserts held into the plastic base on the car start spinning slightly and look to becoming stripped.

So I put the dealer frame back on, screw it down and it's still not tight...and not level...which will always drive me nuts....you can literally pull it off with your hands if you really wanted to.

So now I either have to source new bolts or possibly cut these %^&*#! cheap-*** plastic bolts down if I want to use the CF frame...and I fear it'll never snug up like it should.

What should have taken a trained monkey 2 minutes now has me going on Day 3 for a solution.

Is anyone else having this much trouble trying to attach a simple license plate frame? What a horrible way to attach a license Audi...just scratching my head over this.

Sorry to vent...I need a drink.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

M6. Various lengths available here.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_S5...License_Bolts/

Home Depot, auto parts stores, Fastenall. Are sources too but you DO need proper length regardless.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:21 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
I must say...I've never seen anything like this!

I have an Audi C/F frame that I'm trying to install on the trunk, the plastic dealer frame was thicker and the %$#@!& plastic bolts barely hold it on tight and was a no-go with my frame, even with the supplied spacers.

So I figure no biggie, I'll just get shorter bolts...fast forward to ACE and I pick up 2 stainless phillips head bolts which look like they'll do the trick, try them in the store's thread matcher and they seem exact.

I get home, the bolts are slightly oversized and the metal inserts held into the plastic base on the car start spinning slightly and look to becoming stripped.

So I put the dealer frame back on, screw it down and it's still not tight...and not level...which will always drive me nuts....you can literally pull it off with your hands if you really wanted to.

So now I either have to source new bolts or possibly cut these %^&*#! cheap-*** plastic bolts down if I want to use the CF frame...and I fear it'll never snug up like it should.

What should have taken a trained monkey 2 minutes now has me going on Day 3 for a solution.

Is anyone else having this much trouble trying to attach a simple license plate frame? What a horrible way to attach a license Audi...just scratching my head over this.

Sorry to vent...I need a drink.
i
That’s really weird. Maybe it’s a Cabriolet issue because my wife put my plates on no the Sportback no problem.And scotch will make it better.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey thanks for that, appreciated...anyone know what dimension these bolts are?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by N8!
And scotch will make it better...
I'm thinking a margarita on the rocks...must still be on Mexican time,lol!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
Hey thanks for that, appreciated...anyone know what dimension these bolts are?
As stated above, M6
Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
As stated above, M6
I saw that after I typed, thanks.

Just really a ****-poor way to attach a plate IMHO...after all the beautiful engineering that went into the car, I expected more from Audi with something as simple as this.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

My preference is 10 year Jura...and I had no issues with stainless bolts and frame on my '18 S5...
Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

I had it worse. I couldn't even remove the frame as one of the top nut on the plastic plate holder was stripped. it was free spinning so I could not even remove the bolt. I had to remove the other 3 bolt, slip a small screw driver in to keep it from spinning to remove the last one. Then I have to remove the plate holder from the trunk lid and turn it 180 so I can put the plate on using just the 2 top screw. I'll have them get me a new plate holder when I go in for service.

Last edited by Wiz33; 01-19-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wiz33
I had it worse. I couldn't even remove the frame as one of the top nut on the plastic plate holder was stripped. it was free spinning so I could not even remove the bolt. I had to remove the other 3 bolt, slip a small screw driver in to keep it from spinning to remove the last one. Then I have to remove the plate holder from the trunk lid and turn it 180 so I can put the plate on using just the 2 top screw. I'll have them get me a new plate holder when I do in for service.
I hear you, I have one of the top lugs that inserted into the plate holder giving me difficulties, it's cocked to one side and won't really tighten like I'd want it to.
And as I mentioned, I like to remove my plate annually to clean behind and attach the new registration tags...let's see how long that lasts.

That said, I went back to Ace and purchased 2 different M6 bolts, one that are black with an allen head and the other shiny with a phillips head...the allen ones were a hair too short and the shiny ones did the trick, after I had to tape the black rubber spacers that came with the frame to the holder to take up the space.
I will go back there now and purchase two more, glue the spacers to the holder and call this job done...finally!

Quick Reply: Day 2 of trying to install a simple license plate frame...FRUSTRATION!