Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Denver A5 purchase - extra set of tires in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
That is going to put you 3mm closer to suspension and 3mm more gap to the fender (if the wheel width is the exact same). Don't see why it would be an issue. Tirerack.com can check specs and they won't offer a wheel that wouldn't fit on their website if you plug in your vehicle.
Auto manufacturers rarely have tolerances that would not allow a 3mm difference in wheel offset to cause interference... but I would defer to the experts. Best of luck!
thank you. The 35mm was being offered by Tirerack. I just wanted to double check.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

...and had it mounted prior to picking up the vehicle. Was easy and they didn't charge me anything to mount the wheels (and they shouldn't considering I was buying a car from them).
When I bought my S5 I bought a set of OEM wheels and tires from the dealer and they STILL charged me $125 for mounting, balancing and installation. I need to learn how to better negotiate!

Last edited by garberfc; 11-23-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thand26
thank you. The 35mm was being offered by Tirerack. I just wanted to double check.
Another idea (especially if you’re financing at 0%): If not too late, see if your dealer will cut you a nice deal on an OEM set of winter (or A/S) wheels/tires and roll that into the contract. Even at a good price, that will probably net out more expensive than a set from Tire Rack, but depending on your circumstances, it might be worth checking into, and the OEM wheels will be high quality.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

I picked up my car in Chicago last November - no way I was driving back to NJ on summer tires, especially knowing I was going to hit bad weather on the way.

Tire Rack drop shipped a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ to the dealer the day before Thanksgiving which they mounted and balanced for me (no charge). Best thing I did before the drive home.

The following users liked this post:
Mister Bally (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thand26
My plan is to fly to Denver this Friday and sign for an A5. The car has Black Optic Package, so summer tires. I need to drive back to the midwest and am stressing about the mid to low 40’s predicted temps. I am considering buying a set of AS or Winter tires and just having the dealer put them on for me. If I do, can I fit the 4 new summer tires in the trunk/back seat??
Is your vehicle a Coupe or Sportback? I could not fit a set of wheels & tires in a coupe. The sportback has a lot more cargo area.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,185 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
When I bought my S5 I bought a set of OEM wheels and tires from the dealer and they STILL charged me $125 for mounting, balancing and installation. I need to learn how to better negotiate!
LOL. Not my first car I bought from them. Was kind of an interesting dynamic since the Audi sales guy sat next to me in the office and helped me negotiate the deal against the Porsche salesman. I used my in at the Audi dealer next door to kind of slide in as an insider...
Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
I picked up my car in Chicago last November - no way I was driving back to NJ on summer tires, especially knowing I was going to hit bad weather on the way.

Tire Rack drop shipped a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ to the dealer the day before Thanksgiving which they mounted and balanced for me (no charge). Best thing I did before the drive home.

Do you use those Pilot A/S 3+ year round? I moved back to the Midwest from Los Angeles this past spring and put similar A/S tires on. We got our first freeze/snow a few weeks ago and I slid about 200 feet down a hill and I was driving very cautiously. Debating getting some actual winter tires or trying to stick it out with the A/S.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetness#34

Do you use those Pilot A/S 3+ year round? I moved back to the Midwest from Los Angeles this past spring and put similar A/S tires on. We got our first freeze/snow a few weeks ago and I slid about 200 feet down a hill and I was driving very cautiously. Debating getting some actual winter tires or trying to stick it out with the A/S.
Youll find a number of us here who quote the statement “the worst winter (snow) tires are better than the best all-seasons.” For Nebr winters you should consider a second set of wheels with dedicated snows. I’m six hours north of you and my S5 gets through anything Mother Nature throws at us.
The following users liked this post:
sweetness#34 (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,185 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoft
Youll find a number of us here who quote the statement “the worst winter (snow) tires are better than the best all-seasons.” For Nebr winters you should consider a second set of wheels with dedicated snows. I’m six hours north of you and my S5 gets through anything Mother Nature throws at us.
I have used my cars as snow plows in situations with snow rolling over the hood. Encountered freezing rain on the way to VT for skiing where the highway is a skating rink. All of these things I could not do with A/S tires. I have found out the hard way. Your safety, others safety, insurance claims, and your nice new Audi are worth much more than a set of tires. You wouldn't go to a mechanic who did not have the right tools for the job... so dedicated winter tires are a very good investment.
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
Mister Bally (11-25-2020), sweetness#34 (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoft
I have used my cars as snow plows in situations with snow rolling over the hood. Encountered freezing rain on the way to VT for skiing where the highway is a skating rink. All of these things I could not do with A/S tires. I have found out the hard way. Your safety, others safety, insurance claims, and your nice new Audi are worth much more than a set of tires. You wouldn't go to a mechanic who did not have the right tools for the job... so dedicated winter tires are a very good investment.
Understood, I guess I was just surprised as to how bad these basically brand new all seasons were. I knew they wouldn't be great but I guess I expected a little better and hoping it was a fluke of a day. I had an Alfa Romeo Stelvio prior to my A5 and it had all seasons and I never had any issues driving from LA to Omaha through the Rockies over the holiday season, though maybe the all seasons on it weren't "ultra high performance". Oh well, off to continue my research for some true winter tires. Thanks

Quick Reply: Denver A5 purchase - extra set of tires in trunk?