Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dilemma - A5 Sportback or S4

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts
Default Dilemma - A5 Sportback or S4

Need some advice albeit maybe bias in the A5/S5 section of this forum.

I recently bought a demo 2018 S5 Coupe Prestige. I've been loving it but recently discovered some slight damage that would need to be repaired to the rear quarter panel (already looked into PDR and it's not possible). So painting and blending would be the only option. To cut a long story short, the dealership has been great agreed to take back the car, assuming I purchase something from them. Totally fine with me.

So I've got a pretty strict budget this time around, and have been offered two possibilities. Both in the color combo I want (Glacier White on red leather).

Option 1 is a 2019 A5 Sportback (love the sportback styling) or Option 2 is a 2019 S4 (I'm "okay" with the more conservative styling). Obviously from a performance standpoint the S4 the wins but I don't know if I will regret the styling choice once the performance honeymoon wears off. Both cars are well optioned and the pricing between the two isn't much (which seems crazy).

What are some opinions?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price difference between a 4 series and a 5 series is only a couple of thousand, get an A5 or S5 Sportback
Old 05-08-2019, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds to me like you already know your preference. You're saying the S4 styling is "OK" and you may regret that choice. And you're expecting the performance honeymoon to wear off. I'd say avoid regret. If you love the styling of the A5 SB, go for it. You'll love to drive it, and it will probably already feel peppy anyway. Spring for an S5 on your next upgrade.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mobidutch
It sounds to me like you already know your preference. You're saying the S4 styling is "OK" and you may regret that choice. And you're expecting the performance honeymoon to wear off. I'd say avoid regret. If you love the styling of the A5 SB, go for it. You'll love to drive it, and it will probably already feel peppy anyway. Spring for an S5 on your next upgrade.
I do like the S4 styling just not as much as the A5 SB. It's more a decision of what will I like more, rather than regrets. The "S" cars are just a little more special in my eyes. I don't know...lol again the dilemma!
Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 series Sportback best looking Audi IMHO
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA
5 series Sportback best looking Audi IMHO
I agree. However in Canada there is a significant enough price difference between the S4 and S5 Sportback, which is why I'm only considering the S4 vs A5 Sportback. From a pricing standpoint they are more closely matched.

So style over performance, or performance (and slight exclusivity) over style.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

True, knowing you drive an S version does add to the 'feeling', besides it being more powerful However, I was very happy with my 2012 A5 even though it was not an S. I just loved the sleek lines of that car (still do). It's a personal preference of course...for me the looks trump the rest.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

If you really cant swing the s5 sportback then definitely the s4.

S seats > a seats done deal.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a $560 piggyback JB4 an A5 Sportback will be as fast as a stock S4.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

I drove the A5 Sportback as a loaner recently when my S5 was in for service. The car felt very peppy and responsive, and more nimble than the S5. The S5 feels like a brute in comparison, strong if you push it but probably not as immediate. Also, in normal driving you will never need the power of the S-car, and it's harder to drive it while getting fuel economy. You have the S5, how much do you care about the extra hp and nicer sound?

One reason I got the Sportback was that the hatch was non-negotiable for me. It HAD to be a hatch. Is it like that for you? Do you care about the extra features you get on the A5, or the nicer interior of the S4? The S-car does have nicer seats and alcantara lining where it matters, that also makes a difference to me.

Last edited by belzebutt; 05-09-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - A5 Sportback or S4