Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Direct TPMS Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 576 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by exmeaguy
Where did you wind up putting the unit? I just bought the Kufatec kit (have not received yet) and from the pictures in their documentation, it appears to show the receiver is to be placed underneath the car near the center of the rear wheels or maybe slightly to the left of center. Everyone on this thread is saying to install near the right wheel. If placed in the middle or slightly to the left of center, I can foresee issues with the receiver knowing how to identify the wheels if it is based on distance for receiving the signal.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys for the info and pictures. For connecting to the Can Bus near the fuse panels, did you just connect the Hi & Lo wires by splicing to 2 of the existing wires going into the plug?
Old 09-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by exmeaguy
Thanks guys for the info and pictures. For connecting to the Can Bus near the fuse panels, did you just connect the Hi & Lo wires by splicing to 2 of the existing wires going into the plug?
My kit (ALiExpress) came with a pre-spliced Y cable. Remove Hi & Lo from camera module, insert removed wires to pre-spliced empty housing, connect remaining pre-spliced wires back to camera module.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
My kit (ALiExpress) came with a pre-spliced Y cable. Remove Hi & Lo from camera module, insert removed wires to pre-spliced empty housing, connect remaining pre-spliced wires back to camera module.
I know this was discussed but how did you figure out which were the cables to use on the can exactly from the camera? thanks
Old 09-03-2020, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

I would think the antenna would be mounted under the car or along an edge that had only non-metal between the antenna and the tires. I would think continuous metal encasing of the antenna by body metal would shield much of the RF signal between the control antenna & tire TPMS sensors. Are there specific regions in the body designed to allow the signal to pass through the body metal (near a rubber plug or other non-metal region)?
Old 09-04-2020, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
I would think the antenna would be mounted under the car or along an edge that had only non-metal between the antenna and the tires. I would think continuous metal encasing of the antenna by body metal would shield much of the RF signal between the control antenna & tire TPMS sensors. Are there specific regions in the body designed to allow the signal to pass through the body metal (near a rubber plug or other non-metal region)?
The factory location for the antenna is under the car (see the posts way up at the top). You need a couple brackets and it’s a bit of maneuvering to get it in place. I did it that way before I started this thread.

But Bruce has shown that it can be put inside saving that work. I was surprised with all the metal around it, but the proof that it works for him and others.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

TBH, I placed mine, behind the Right cubby holes, directly above the wheel arch inside the car over the rear right wheel but towards the front of the wheel arch. That is broadly the closest location inside the car, to where the sensor would be, if it was underneath the car. I am massively impressed if it still works so high up in that Right Cubby hole.
But it's completely unnecessary time and expense install it in its "proper" place.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:37 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by RoB9
I know this was discussed but how did you figure out which were the cables to use on the can exactly from the camera? thanks
From the service manual. I paid the $35 one-day subscription at Erwin (https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin) and downloaded everything I thought I would ever need:

Old 09-04-2020, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
From the service manual. I paid the $35 one-day subscription at Erwin (https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin) and downloaded everything I thought I would ever need:
Cheers, good to a fellow SoCal owner here too. 91 gas
Old 09-05-2020, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably easier to buy a car that already has it! lol

Quick Reply: Direct TPMS Retrofit