Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

DIY remote start review

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts
Default DIY remote start review

Thanks to Heymoe for pointing out this system in another thread. I didn’t see any other detailed reviews in the A5/S5/RS5 threads, so I’d thought I’d pass along my experiences as I know remote start is an option a lot of people have griped about Audi not having available.

System was purchased via: https://www.12volt.solutions/collect...mote-start-kit

With other OEM remote starts I have, I don’t like the lack of feedback (did it start?), or the limited range of the FOB. 12voltSolutions offers a long range remote and a phone app option. I initially considered the long range remote, but then realized I have no need for another bulky FOB to carry around with me, as I always have my phone with me. Therefore, I opted with the Add-On Smart Phone Module. Pricing at the time of my purchase was $815 total, with shipping.

Installation
I installed it in two steps. Get the initial remote start in and operational, and then add the phone module. Using the video provided by the website, it’s literally a 15-20 minute install. There might be cheaper kits out there, but not laying on my back under the steering wheel of the car trying to get at wires and splice them – worth every dollar. It’s a pure piggyback system. It’s just unplug 4 OEM connectors and then plug the piggyback system between the plugs. I’m guessing the harness is more of a general ‘for any Audi on this platform’, as the wires are way too long and bulky. A better engineered harness specifically for the S5 would look a little cleaner, but it’s all hidden. (It’s all done in the driver’s side rear wheel well compartment – easy to access on work on.) After the harness is installed, there is a quick ‘teach’ of the start/stop button for the Fortin module (the brains of the remote start). After the teach was completed, I hit the lock button on the OEM FOB 3 times, and it started. Hurray, something worked as expected on the 1st try.

The Smart Phone module is essentially another piggyback to the remote start system. It’s a generic module meant to interface with as many other systems as possible. Therefore, you get numerous connectors that you don’t use, as they are for other systems. The sheet provided with it has QR codes that will take you an installation video explaining which connectors to use, etc. As a piggyback system, it’s maybe another 5 minutes to find the correct plugs and plug everything in. After that is complete, you have to ‘teach’ the Fortin module to interface with the smart phone module.

Since the smart phone module is a generic item, the smart phone app you install is known as CL6. I would say that’s probably a good thing, as the install base is likely higher and the longevity of the app is likely to persist better than an individual company selling remote start kits (i.e. 12voltSolutions) After registering and entering in the serial number of the remote start kit, I was connected and ready to test. The app is very simple and launches very quickly, which makes using it almost as easy as pulling keys out of your pocket. On 1st try, I hit the remote start: app changes the remote start color to blue (indicating it’s trying), and after 10 seconds, turns red, car didn’t start. I tried the lock / unlock buttons on the app – same result (didn’t work). Since the smart phone module is designed to communicate with many remote start kits, you tell it what protocol you are using in the setup. While I had that correct, the troubleshooting guide shows you how to change it to something else, and then back to the proper protocol as one of the steps. I did that – still no remote start. The app was clearly communicating with the smart phone module, as it very nicely showed me where the car was on a map. It also has a cheap volt meter in the module, as it shows the voltage of the battery (in a tiny white font, on a tiny green colored battery – good luck reading that.) After changing the protocols a bunch of times it still didn’t work. I repeated the ‘teach’ process. Still a no go. Did the protocol change again, and finally, it worked! Not sure if I missed a step, did something out of sequence – but that was my experience. Hopefully it’s not that difficult for others.

Pros
Ease of installation

1st year of the phone app connection is free ($39 annually after that).

GPS location of the car is a great touch

Multiple persons can use the phone app on their phones for the same car. (Haven’t tested the GPS function with that, for those who are concerned their wife / husband will be tracking them!)

The 15 minute countdown timer after it is remote started (displayed on the app).

Cons
You have to permanently install one of your FOBs with the system. Not a big deal for me, but if you rely on 2 FOBs, getting a 3rd from your dealer will be costly.

I found the 3x lock with the factory FOB to be hit or miss in trying to start the vehicle. I don’t plan on using that to start it, as the phone app will be the primary means. 12voltSolutions did respond to my inquiry about the frequency of the button press, and they said the 3x must happen within 4 seconds. I had a much better success rate after knowing this.

The locked / unlock status is not properly programmed on the phone APP. It works only if you use the APP or your Audi FOB to lock / unlock doors. If you lock or unlock via touching the door handle (the only way I lock or unlock my car), it doesn’t change the status. Therefore, my car always shows as unlocked when I park, even though it is locked.*
New unit sent by vendor resolved this issue

After a remote start, the only way to get into the car is with your Audi FOB unlock or the phone app unlock. Pulling up on the door handle doesn’t work when a remote start is active. **

Pro & Con
Unlike OEM remote starts that change some of the vehicle functions, it appears as though not much is different from physically being in the car and starting it (other than the proximity door lock disable). i.e. if you turned it off with radio blasting, radio will be blasting during remote start. Headlights will be full on at night. But, if you turn your seat heater way up, and the temperature up, those will all function and be ready when you get in.

Other notes
12voltSolutions was quick to respond to inquiries via their email, but not so sure about all their answers. I have the condensed version of our email conversations below. Not good if you have to prove support responses incorrect to get to the bottom of things, but it is what it is. As you can see in the system, 12voltSolutions is merely reselling a Fortin unit, a generic phone add on and a wiring harness. Not sure if they designed / manufacture the harness, but wondering how long before other vendors do the same, possibly providing enough competition to lower the price. You can possibly buy the 2 modules for a lot less money online somewhere, but making a harness yourself does not appear to be worth any savings by doing so.

Summary
Phone app for the remote starting works great, as does the remote start in general – 5 / 5 stars

False door lock status – subtract 1 star

Not knowing I’d lose the proximity door unlock when the website says:

“Will my *INSERT YOUR CHOICE OF OEM FEATURE HERE* still work with your product installed?
All features and functions that you have now will still work as they do now. You will not loose any features by adding our product to your vehicle.”

Subtract ½ star. Overall rating 4.5 / 5

Footnotes:
*12voltSolutions says “carlink module doesn't display lock status, just the last command sent through the app”. I pointed out the app does update the lock status after press the audi FOB lock / unlock, and the 12voltSolutions website clearly states: “Door lock status (shows if doors are locked or unlocked)”. 12voltSolutions responds: “the lock status will update, as long as the app is running, once it closes it won't update again until another command is sent while it's open”. I point out this is not the case by testing different scenarios. The app clearly reads a bit in the Fortin unit upon opening the app, and the Fortin unit is only updating the bit if anything but the door handles are responsible for the lock / unlock. 12voltSolutions is in the process of contacting Fortin with the alleged FW bug, I will update this post as information comes in.

**12voltsSolutions says: “Most push to start vehicles shut down on door opening as a security feature as the key is only pinged once during remote start, but Audi decided to ignore the door handle keyless commands when running as their security, and it verifies the valid key code by asking for an unlock command over rf. This is an Audi feature, not in our software.”

Last edited by Trade_it_all_4_more; 04-28-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Vendor sent out a different unit
The following users liked this post:
desaiguy (01-28-2020)
Old 04-01-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Remote start kit components below:

Wheel well area preinstall below:

Connectors are on the bottom:

Smart phone kit components below:

Everything connected below:

iPhone App. You get to select your car and color picture! (No SB option for the S5, boooo):
Old 04-01-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Great write up. Out of curiosity, can the remote start time be extended by doing the remote start command again? Some cars, you can do it 3 times to get 45 minutes.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Outstanding write-up - Thank You!

I know there are several systems out there that offer remote start but they are "professional installation only" and not sold to end-users. I had a remote start in my RSX and was thinking of getting one installed in the S5 but all I could remember was the install on the RSX (picture below)

It worked great but seeing that wiring just about gave me a heart attack! It worked flawlessly for 6 years until the remote's battery died and the manufacturer had been bought out by someone else and they had no plans to support the "old products."

The Plug'N' Play solution you have provided certainly makes me think that the world has certainly gotten a lot smarter since this system was installed!

Just thinking of seeing the S5 with the mess of wires in the middle of the install would put me 6 feet under!

Thank You Again!

-- John
Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sthulin
Great write up. Out of curiosity, can the remote start time be extended by doing the remote start command again? Some cars, you can do it 3 times to get 45 minutes.
Not sure if it disables a repeat remote start. Thinking it doesn't prevent that, but I don't plan on testing that. While you might have an alternative need that would make sense, I'm also thinking that if I ever needed more than 15 minutes to warm up my car, I'm not going outside.

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Outstanding write-up - Thank You!
I know there are several systems out there that offer remote start but they are "professional installation only" and not sold to end-users. I had a remote start in my RSX and was thinking of getting one installed in the S5 but all I could remember was the install on the RSX (picture below)...
Exactly what I wanted to avoid. It needed to be this easy or it wasn't happening.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait. Did you just type "$815"?

eeek
Old 04-01-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
Wheel well area preinstall below:

My '19 S5 Prestige has a silver control module already piggy-backed on top of the one in your pic. It looks like it would be a PITA to remove.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by channey13
My '19 S5 Prestige has a silver control module already piggy-backed on top of the one in your pic. It looks like it would be a PITA to remove.
I believe that module is Prestige specific. I do recall the install video showing it, and the guy in the video showed how to press a tab and that would rotate it out of the way. Of course, that wasn't live on video, just press here, and next frame it's gone. So probably more PITA vs a 3 second removal as not-shown in the video.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

So once you've remote started the car, and you walk into your car with your "real key" in your pocket. When you then leave the car, does the car know you walked away? Or is it still associated with the key in your trunk?
Old 04-01-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
So once you've remote started the car, and you walk into your car with your "real key" in your pocket. When you then leave the car, does the car know you walked away? Or is it still associated with the key in your trunk?
So the key in the trunk should have the battery removed, and is only activated when the remote start process is running. As long as the coil in the key box isn't being activated, the car should have no idea about that key.

Quick Reply: DIY remote start review