Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Does Audi report odometer (mileage) to insurance companies

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does Audi report odometer (mileage) to insurance companies

I got a call from my local State Farm agent asking me about the number of miles I have driven this year. They claim that it is greater than I am insured for.
I took my car in for the 10k service back in July and I have indeed driven more than the 7,500 miles my policy was for, but I have never updated the mileage in the policy nor have I responded to the State Farm corporate mailing asking me to give them my odometer reading.
How do they know?

My guess is either 1: my dealer sells the data, 2: the Audi connect/mmi some how sells my data, or 3:it is plain coincidence.
(It is not 3)

I have no problems updating the policy to reflect the miles, but I lost a 5% discount and curious what/who is reporting info about my car.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Usually they get that info from the dmv when u do your safety inspection.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if State Farm runs a CarFax report when each policy is up for renewal. CarFax would show mileage for most services and if it went through DMV or a state inspection and the date that it occured. I doubt Audi would be contacting State Farm directly or vice versa.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

In New Jersey, all the “state inspection” checks is your emissions via the OBD port — which does provide mileage but I don’t think they sell / report to anyone, but I don’t know that for sure.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the Columbus Ohio area and we don't need "state inspections" in these parts [the university sure needs more inspections]. Also, Ohio does not care about the mileage of your car other than when you title it.
Maybe the CarFax thing or when they did the "recall" it required a formal report.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Or, does the OP have an Android Phone with them?

”A dormant, stationary Android phone (with the Chrome browser active in the background) communicated location information to Google 340 times during a 24-hour period, or at an average of 14 data communications per hour. In fact, location information constituted 35 percent of all the data samples sent to Google.”

I just came across this report, Google Data Collection Report and it outlines just how many times an Android-based phone, running Chrome, “phones home” in an average day. It also list how many times an iPhone makes the same connection to Apple, so it isn’t an anti-Android report. It’s just that to Google, you (and your data) are the product — and they want to monetize “your data” as much as they can. Is it possible Auto Insurance companies are buying this data — certainly possible. Look at Progressive when they offered to “reduce your rates” but having you install an OBD dongle on your car and allowing them to analyze your “driving data and characteristics. It’s possible that the insurance companies have now figured out away to really watch you without requiring you to “self-install” a dongle.

Or Not — I just found the report very interesting and informative. YMMV
Old 08-21-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I had the exact same thing as OP happen (I am also a State Farm customer who once had the same discount) but I never bothered to do anything about it when it flipped because A) they weren't wrong, and B) I suspect that if I wrecked my car with 15,000 miles on the clock 11 months into ownership, while insured for only half that mileage at a discount rate, that State Farm would not hesitate to deny my claim on the basis that it's my responsibility to adhere to the T's and C's of my policy. And the blame would be mine because it is my responsibility as the policyholder to make sure my coverage matches my needs, rather than my insurer's responsibility to keep me honest about it (whether they take their own measures to determine my true annual mileages or not).

In my instance, I happened to take a very long road trip (4000 miles) which pushed me over the limits. In hindsight I probably should have called my agent first instead of letting them find out on their own...however that was.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 08-21-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

90% sure its CarFax or similar service that got the info from the dealer
Old 08-21-2018, 04:34 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
I had the exact same thing as OP happen (I am also a State Farm customer who once had the same discount) but I never bothered to do anything about it when it flipped because A) they weren't wrong, and B) I suspect that if I wrecked my car with 15,000 miles on the clock 11 months into ownership, while insured for only half that mileage at a discount rate, that State Farm would not hesitate to deny my claim on the basis that it's my responsibility to adhere to the T's and C's of my policy. And the blame would be mine because it is my responsibility as the policyholder to make sure my coverage matches my needs, rather than my insurer's responsibility to keep me honest about it (whether they take their own measures to determine my true annual mileages or not).

In my instance, I happened to take a very long road trip (4000 miles) which pushed me over the limits. In hindsight I probably should have called my agent first instead of letting them find out on their own...however that was.

Wait, what??!!!! An American taking actual personal responsibility for his actions??!!!!

Amazing.... well done...

Old 08-21-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Haha, well I have to say it but please don't take it as an attack. You are commiting insurance fraud by having a low mileage policy and you should be eager to remedy that fact lest you see any liability for your oversight. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Quick Reply: Does Audi report odometer (mileage) to insurance companies