Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

EMD Grill parking sensor sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JAY-Y
would it work to just unplug it?
You'll likely have the car yelling at you with a sensor malfunction error. But there's a better solution...

While I rarely ever had an issue, anytime I was at a drive-through or other normal 'tight' areas, the sensors were always going off - as they should. Rather than having to constantly hit the button on the console to turn off parking assist, I switched the automatic activation of the parking aid to off: > Vehicle > left control button > Driver assistance > Parking aid Activate automatically > off

I back into parking spots 99% of the time, so it's rare I ever need the front parking sensors. If I do, then I just hit the button to activate it.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Yep-another driver side sensor issue. It's just a manufacturing defect with the grille. Are you going to go back and paint the crash bar satin/rugged black?
Yeah it’s not as bad as people make it seem. It rarely goes off and when it comes time to park the sensors work perfectly.

Yes I actually do plan on painting it or maybe just wrapping it black since the car is a lease... goes back to Audi July 2020.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay757
Yeah it’s not as bad as people make it seem. It rarely goes off and when it comes time to park the sensors work perfectly.

Yes I actually do plan on painting it or maybe just wrapping it black since the car is a lease... goes back to Audi July 2020.
Looks nice. Mythos Black or just Brilliant? Not sure how well wrapping will hold up, but conceivably if you paint it and kept the foam pad, replace the stock grille, no one will be the wiser. I’m in Dallas, and it’s pretty cold today (30s is cold for us) and I have the stock summer tires, so I’m stuck not getting to drive it today. It’s been over a week since I got was able to unleash on the road with it and I’m itching to get on the road. Suppose to be 40s tomorrow, so I’ll take it for a “comfort” setting ride to church and back, I suppose. On the brightside side, my wife green lit buying performance all season tires, but I’m going to hold off, because warmer weather is right around the corner!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks nice. Mythos Black or just Brilliant? Not sure how well wrapping will hold up, but conceivably if you paint it and kept the foam pad, replace the stock grille, no one will be the wiser. I’m in Dallas, and it’s pretty cold today (30s is cold for us) and I have the stock summer tires, so I’m stuck not getting to drive it today. It’s been over a week since I got was able to unleash on the road with it and I’m itching to get on the road. Suppose to be 40s tomorrow, so I’ll take it for a “comfort” setting ride to church and back, I suppose. On the brightside side, my wife green lit buying performance all season tires, but I’m going to hold off, because warmer weather is right around the corner!
Thanks! It’s mythos black and yeah that’s the plan going to call my local shop who did these mods and ask how much to paint my crash beam black. I also still have my original foam and other original parts for lease turn in time...

Cool, I just installed Michelin PS4S tires, as its suppose to warm up next week. Not to mention spring comes early for those of us in Texas. I have to go Dallas next weekend to meet a friend, so I’m sure you’ll you see car.

Last edited by Jay757; 02-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sensors have been working normal today, knock on wood! If it does get finicky with rain, good to know I can turn off auto activate.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay757
Thanks! It’s mythos black and yeah that’s the plan going to call my local shop who did these mods and ask how much to paint my crash beam black. I also still have my original foam and other original parts for lease turn in time...
Shame on me, but when I had mine done ($128) I failed to ask them to paint the crash bar and I hated the way it looked. So, hat in hand, I brought it back the next morning to ask how much to RnR the bumper and paint the crash bar. The shop Mgr. looked at it and said, "yeah, that looks like crap, leave it and we'll take care of it." I did and got a call two hours later to pick it up, done , no charge. Happy as a clam, I handed the tech that did the work $20 and he was thrilled.
I hope you are as fortunate.

Last edited by Richr; 02-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
Shame on me, but when I had mine done ($128) I failed to ask them to paint the crash bar and I hated the way it looked. So, hat in hand, I brought it back the next morning to ask how much to RnR the bumper and paint the crash bar. The shop Mgr. looked at it and said, "yeah, that looks like crap, leave it and we'll take care of it." I did and got a call two hours later to pick it up, done , no charge. Happy as a clam, I handed the tech that did the work $20 and he was thrilled.
I hope you are as fortunate.

Wow, you paid $128 to have the grill installed and then redo for free plus tip? Where is this magical place? Great deal!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

H&H Auto body, Hilton Head, SC. Highly recommended. They also swapped out my mirror caps for free, just another $20 to the tech. They said billing me wasn't worth the paper work, It helps that they love the car. Love these guys.
I actually like wrenching myself, but for those prices, not worth the time or risk IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Mister Bally (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
H&H Auto body, Hilton Head, SC. Highly recommended. They also swapped out my mirror caps for free, just another $20 to the tech. They said billing me wasn't worth the paper work, It helps that they love the car. Love these guys.
I actually like wrenching myself, but for those prices, not worth the time or risk IMO.
Nice. That’s pretty good. I paid around $275 for mine to be swapped out and crash bar painted. The first paint job was pretty bad, so I had to take it back in and have them redo it. I also worked with them and EMD on the grille sensor issue. We never got it resolved, but they were good sports about it, despite having to take the grille off multiple times. I ended up bringing the shop 2 dozen cookies, from a cookie shop, to show my appreciation.

Originally Posted by JAY-Y
Sensors have been working normal today, knock on wood! If it does get finicky with rain, good to know I can turn off auto activate.
Glad to help. I’ve learned to live with it, because the grille makes the car look 10x better, in my opinion. if it starts going off, I just turn off the auto activation and wait until it’s dry out and I’ve cleaned the sensor.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to help. I’ve learned to live with it, because the grille makes the car look 10x better, in my opinion. if it starts going off, I just turn off the auto activation and wait until it’s dry out and I’ve cleaned the sensor.
A week after my install it started raining and began to get false alerts, to the horror of several members here, I notched the grill below each sensor with a dremel tool to keep water from accumulating under the sensor. It completely stopped the false alerts and can not even be seen from more than a couple of feet away.

Quick Reply: EMD Grill parking sensor sensitivity