Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Euro Tail Light Coding issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 358 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Euro Tail Light Coding issue

Has anyone other than a retailer been able to successfully code euro tail lights on a B9 A5/S5/RS5? I am running into a maddening issue with the VCP System, OBD Dongle and the coding file BCM2_s5_8w0907064dc.zdc.

The VCP System application does not recognize the zdc file correctly. Attempting to load the file into the application result in an error that says the file is the wrong format. The file is absolutely the correct format. It was downloaded via the VCP Configurator as described in the instructions.

I’ve re-installed all of the software/firmware (VCP Configurator, VCP System app, all required firmware/software updates) multiple times, most recently by downloading directly from the manufacturer of the hardware/software instead of Google drive. I’ve also downloaded/deleted/re-downloaded the zdc file several times. Nothing resolves this issue.

I am using a 16” 2019 MacBook Pro running a fully updated Windows 10 operating system in Bootcamp. The VCP manufacturer states this environment is fine for the tool and software. The Windows install is as clean as it gets with Ross-Tech VCDS the only other non-OS app running.

My next thought is to go buy a cheap Windows laptop and see if that makes a difference, though I have a hard time seeing how that will enable the VCP System app to recognize the zdc file as it should.

I’m pretty annoyed at this point. I've submitted a help ticket to the VCP mfg help system but haven’t heard back yet likely due to the holiday.

Anyone have a similar experience and solved the problem?
Old 01-01-2020, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

That's very odd. I had no issues at all coding my euro tail lights. I even downloaded the zdc file to help a fellow forum member with his e-code Q7 tail lights. It was done on my Windows laptop though.
If you live in the Dallas area I can easily hook you up.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
That's very odd. I had no issues at all coding my euro tail lights. I even downloaded the zdc file to help a fellow forum member with his e-code Q7 tail lights. It was done on my Windows laptop though.
If you live in the Dallas area I can easily hook you up.
thanks for the info. I’m up in Seattle.

I just bought a cheap HP Windows laptop and am getting it set up. Going to try with that.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PWDRSKR
thanks for the info. I’m up in Seattle.

I just bought a cheap HP Windows laptop and am getting it set up. Going to try with that.
Ok let us know how it works. It would suck if you had to buy a whole laptop for it, but at least you will have a Windows computer going forward for any compatibility related issues.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:22 PM
Club AutoUnion

Ok let us know how it works. It would suck if you had to buy a whole laptop for it, but at least you will have a Windows computer going forward for any compatibility related issues.
Well, new laptop, fresh install of all software and firmware. Same damn problem. There is no way that I’ve screwed this up. Something wrong with hardware is the only possibility.

Is there anything else I need to do this? Like the login code or any of the other information in the ZDC Info window?

Is there any way to code the lights directly without using the zdc file? Seems as though the app process is there to make it easier but there should be a way to do it manually.

Last edited by PWDRSKR; 01-01-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Club AutoUnion

So.... I decided to poke around in the list of zdc files available in the FileDownloader list. The instructions say to download this file: BCM2_s5_8w0907064dc.zdc
  • GroupName: Q1.2017
  • GroupDesc: Files 2017
  • Description: “Rearlamps and kessy configs“
  • DateUploaded: 2017-08-28 13:00:57
  • Model supported Audi A4/S5

Looking around I see another file: BCM2_a5_8w0907064dc.zdc
  • GroupName: Q1.2019
  • GroupDesc: Files 2019
  • Description: “Rear lamps and kessy settings for 2019 models “
  • DateUploaded: 2019-03-05 17:30:09
  • Model supported Audi A4

Thing is, I have a 2019 RS5. Question now, was I given the wrong file name to search for and download? Should I be using the BCM2_a5_8w0907064dc.zdc for 2019 cars?!?

this photo shows the two files to which I’m referring.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i had no issues converting to euro tails on my 2019 RS5.

download: BCM2_s5_8w0907064dc.zdc

upload the following...

LAMPCONFIG_1_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU
LAMPCONFIG_2_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_3_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_4_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_5_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_6_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_7_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU
Old 01-01-2020, 03:15 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by jf1_
i had no issues converting to euro tails on my 2019 RS5.

download: BCM2_s5_8w0907064dc.zdc

upload the following...

LAMPCONFIG_1_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU
LAMPCONFIG_2_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_3_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_4_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_5_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_6_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU LAMPCONFIG_7_ SPORTBACK _LHD_LED_EU
the problem I am having is that I can’t get to the point where I can access the LAMPCONFIG files. I’ve downloaded that file at least 20 separate times now. When I try to open the zdc file the VCP System app returns an error message that says “Wrong file format”

these four photos show the sequence. Look in the lower left corner of the last photo and you can see the “Wrong file format!” message.

BTW, the A5 file also doesn’t work. The issue must be with the hardware is all I can figure. Unless there is a step that I wasn’t given that I’m missing.

can either of you who were successful PM to me the instructions you used? Or would you be willing to email me the zdc file? It’s is only 41kb in size.

Last edited by PWDRSKR; 01-01-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you download both install files for the application?
At this point I'm confused as to what's causing this.

You are also doing this when the motor is off, but ignition on correct?
Old 01-01-2020, 04:26 PM
Club AutoUnion

Did you download both install files for the application?
Yes, I downloaded both download 1 (takes a 10-15 minutes), then download 2 (takes between 1-2 hours).

You are also doing this when the motor is off, but ignition on correct?
Correct, car is not running, ignition on. Same as when using the Ross-Tech VCDS, which I've used to code several cars over the years.

I'm beyond annoyed. It should be very simple and straightforward. I've wasted two full days now trying to figure this out. I submitted two tickets to the VCP help system and am waiting for any response. I'm sure it will be delayed due to the New Years holiday. The download and upload of the data file is too simple to screw up, frankly.

My bet at this point is either:
  • A defect in the hardware.
  • Missing steps in the instructions I was provided. Although I've looked at the VCP website instructions and they appear to be the same as what I was provided. I will say that I found errors/omissions in other aspects of the actual light housing install procedures (not VCP related) that make leave open the possibility that there was something wrong / omitted.

Quick Reply: Euro Tail Light Coding issue