Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

External voice operation

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External voice operation

Has anyone had any luck with the external voice operation? Unclear to me exactly how it should work and what you should expect to be able to do with it (yes even after reading the manual).

I have a fancy new Google Pixel 2 that is paired to my '18 S5 SB Prestige.

Has anyone used it?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

It's pretty straight forward. Long press the voice command button on the steering wheel and instead of the MMI's voice recognition, your phone's digital assistant will start listening. In case of the Pixel, that should be Google Assistant and in case of the iPhone Siri. Then just issue commands to your phone as you do otherwise.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Or if Android Auto is connected, just say "Okay Google" to activate it.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
It's pretty straight forward. Long press the voice command button on the steering wheel and instead of the MMI's voice recognition, your phone's digital assistant will start listening. In case of the Pixel, that should be Google Assistant and in case of the iPhone Siri. Then just issue commands to your phone as you do otherwise.
OK, so it just leverages the mic/speakers of the car to interact with the assistant on your phone?

In chatting with someone at audi support they are telling me my car doesn't have the feature (needs voice recog system & external voice operation). is "external voice operation" some kind of separate feature? I have prestige with pretty much everything (as far as I could tell).
Old 01-09-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
OK, so it just leverages the mic/speakers of the car to interact with the assistant on your phone?
Correct.

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
In chatting with someone at audi support they are telling me my car doesn't have the feature (needs voice recog system & external voice operation). is "external voice operation" some kind of separate feature? I have prestige with pretty much everything (as far as I could tell).
Voice control and the smartphone interface is standard on the S5 SB in the USA and if you have the navigation package, then you have everything there is. It should just work.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Correct.

Voice control and the smartphone interface is standard on the S5 SB in the USA and if you have the navigation package, then you have everything there is. It should just work.
Does that also apply to the humble (by comparison) A5 cab with Premium Plus with nav? I'd expect that it would, as it's apparently part of the nav package. TIA-
Old 01-09-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cbdo
Does that also apply to the humble (by comparison) A5 cab with Premium Plus with nav? I'd expect that it would, as it's apparently part of the nav package. TIA-
yes
Old 01-09-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbdo
yep I have prem plus with NAV and it all works
Old 01-10-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zamba0321
yep I have prem plus with NAV and it all works
OK, got it. works for me. I think what was throwing me off was the dialog that appeared on the NAV.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, so it worked for me the other day. But today when I used the feature the sound output came from my phone not from the car.

I suppose it's possible that it also got input from my phone and not the car also...

Quick Reply: External voice operation