Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

a funny thing about the throttle response...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I find that the car drives perfectly in S mode so I find that now 99.999% of the time I am in S. The only time I will use D is if the engine is stone cold and I am just starting out. As soon as the red line goes from 5,500 to 6,500 I switch over to S and leave it there for the duration of the drive. Is there a reason you don't like to drive in S all the time?
Do you use the individual setting and set the throttle response to Sport, or do you go dynamic mode all the way? There are so many ways to configure things, it's hard to figure out what to choose.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBlahBlah
Do you use the individual setting and set the throttle response to Sport, or do you go dynamic mode all the way? There are so many ways to configure things, it's hard to figure out what to choose.
I do have the individual settings set more towards the dynamic side, but what I am talking about is the gear selector. When I start off with a stone cold motor, I start off in D (and i can tell the difference in throttle response). Then once the red line switches from 5,500 to 6,500, I flick the gear shifter once to switch it from D to S and then there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response and shifting points for me. To me, D mode is like putting the car in econ mode, which defeats the purpose of having a S5 vs an A5.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have the individual settings set more towards the dynamic side, but what I am talking about is the gear selector. When I start off with a stone cold motor, I start off in D (and i can tell the difference in throttle response). Then once the red line switches from 5,500 to 6,500, I flick the gear shifter once to switch it from D to S and then there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response and shifting points for me. To me, D mode is like putting the car in econ mode, which defeats the purpose of having a S5 vs an A5.
What's the difference between having the gear selector in sport vs the throttle set to dynamic in the drive mode selector?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default apples and oranges...

Originally Posted by MrBlahBlah
What's the difference between having the gear selector in sport vs the throttle set to dynamic in the drive mode selector?
My understanding is that when you shift into Sport all modes go to Dynamic anyway.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
My understanding is that when you shift into Sport all modes go to Dynamic anyway.
I think that is mostly true (and putting the car into S also shuts off the auto stop feature) but there is still some difference because there is a big difference in throttle response between D and S for me even with the individual settings set more to the dynamic side.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I think we're agreeing...

I think that is mostly true (and putting the car into S also shuts off the auto stop feature) but there is still some difference because there is a big difference in throttle response between D and S for me even with the individual settings set more to the dynamic side.
My point was that when you shift the Audi into Sport you get the full benefit of all of the Dynamic settings plus the Sport transmission mapping. As far as I know the only thing it doesn't do is alter the ESC.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I as the thrilled owner of 2018 A5 SB with under 1K wondering if this issue would apply to standard units as well
I pretty much drive in S mode all the time,throttle response in D is pretty lazy and there is a noticeable difference in steering weighted feel,
not familar enough with suspension changes as of yet.
Dynamic is my setting and the ridiculous engine start/stop is only thwarted automatically by S mode
S mode changes transmission shift map as well as putting all systems in dynamic? and also it changes exhaust note it seems to me?
Is there anything else that happens in S mode??
Is it more dynamic??
will try to drive in D mode until it's warm in the future though
could dead throttle response be related to the Efficiency system being active????
ive only seen the GREEN foot once but I'm a newbie!!
LOVE this car,such lots of tech,hope it all keeps working!!??
Old 03-24-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Artieb
I as the thrilled owner of 2018 A5 SB with under 1K wondering if this issue would apply to standard units as well
I pretty much drive in S mode all the time,throttle response in D is pretty lazy and there is a noticeable difference in steering weighted feel,
not familar enough with suspension changes as of yet.
Dynamic is my setting and the ridiculous engine start/stop is only thwarted automatically by S mode
S mode changes transmission shift map as well as putting all systems in dynamic? and also it changes exhaust note it seems to me?
Is there anything else that happens in S mode??
Is it more dynamic??
will try to drive in D mode until it's warm in the future though
could dead throttle response be related to the Efficiency system being active????
ive only seen the GREEN foot once but I'm a newbie!!
LOVE this car,such lots of tech,hope it all keeps working!!??
The A5 does not suffer from similar throttle/transmission lag or hesitation. It's an easier car to drive in traffic.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You will not see the green foot if the car is in S.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slides
The A5 does not suffer from similar throttle/transmission lag or hesitation. It's an easier car to drive in traffic.
that's good to hear
but could it be related to Predictive Efficiency an S5?
My question Is S mode more dynamic than standard dynamic?other than shift maps and exhaust tone?

Quick Reply: a funny thing about the throttle response...