Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Glacier versus Ibis White

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I like them both don't get me wrong...my last 3 cars have been variants of Ibis white,current F-Type is Polaris white which looks just like Ford white on my old F-250.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sworksone
...Personally while Ibis is nice I like glacier quite a bit more...
It is interesting that folks easily move past Ibis... and yet Audi has decided that Ibis is the only white available on the R8. Since most folks seem to prefer Glacier, you think it would be available.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
It is interesting that folks easily move past Ibis... and yet Audi has decided that Ibis is the only white available on the R8. Since most folks seem to prefer Glacier, you think it would be available.
Ibis is also the only white available on the Q5.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had Ibis several times, most recently on a 2014 S4 (with the Magma leather interior).

I always found Ibis was one of the lowest maintenance colors -- in terms of keeping it clean and, if you happen to use a drive-through cars wash (even one of the ones that has plenty of blowers to dry the car) was great since it was almost impossible to see water spots.

Of course, color is a personal preference item, but as some have observed, "white is the new black" in terms of popularity. When I approached the glacier white color from a distance greater than 6-10 yards, I couldn't tell it was a metallic color. When the two are NOT side by side, I'd be hard pressed to identify the glacier as anything but Ibis.

A few years back, Audi had a color, Pearl White, that was -- remembering that color is subjective and totally personal -- the best white period. Of course, being "pearl" meant the color was not a pure white. Pearl White was metallic white + a hint of silver metallic + a hint of metallic gold. In Audi's current pallet of colors, Pearl White was a cousin of Curvee Silver, only lighter (more, er, "white").

With no offense meant to anyone, I can't see paying for the Glacier white when Ibis is a no charge "option" -- since it will be very rare for the two to be seen side by side which is where it is possible to see some differences between the two. When I had my first Pearl White on an Audi 5000CS quattro, I believe it was a $2,000 option. I did order the color on an Audi 90, and by then it was priced more like the current optional paint upchrage (except Panther, which was $1,075 on our 2014 SQ5).

Generally speaking paying for a color that is listed as "standard" (on the list of choices not considered Audi Exclusive) galls me. Yet, I did go for the Daytona Gray Pearl on my 2018 S4 after seeing an RS 7 on the showroom floor. I paired it with the red leather again -- and although it was supposed to be the "unique" to the S4 color (not available on the A4, that is), it seems that "everybody" went with the Daytona Color (at least here in SW Ohio). What was supposed to be unique isn't, that is.

I didn't consider the Audi Exclusive route because I was led to believe that the paint was $2,000, but that the price to play in the Audi Exclusive world was $2,500, meaning the Pearl White color would have been $4,500. For a car that was just south of $61,000 that amount seemed out of line. I now am unclear if the price would have been $2,500 or $2,000 or $4,500 since there does seem to be a bit of difference of opinion on the subject of Audi Exclusive. In any case, even $2,000 seems like a lot for a car in this price range. Your opinion may differ, of course.

The net of all of this is: Ibis wins "for my money."

I'll tell you what really caught my eye recently: The deep metallic green the tested RS 5 was shown in last month's Road & Track magazine. Of course, it appears the interior was black leather with green thread -- and you couldn't pay me to take a black interior. I have had it three times in 33 Audis and it shows every bit of dirt, it hotter than hell in the summer, and it makes the interior "shrink" in size and even more personally is depressing, like driving the car in a cave.

See, color is very personal.

Ibis +1

Last edited by markcincinnati; 10-20-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Having just moved back from living in Germany, I can say that “IbisWeiß” is a classic Audi color and extremely popular in Europe. I personally think it shows off the subtleties of the exterior sheet metal design the best of all the color options. Plus it really stands out without being "shouty.".

Last edited by N8!; 10-20-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I've had Ibis several times, most recently on a 2014 S4 (with the Magma leather interior).

I always found Ibis was one of the lowest maintenance colors -- in terms of keeping it clean and, if you happen to use a drive-through cars wash (even one of the ones that has plenty of blowers to dry the car) was great since it was almost impossible to see water spots.

Of course, color is a personal preference item, but as some have observed, "white is the new black" in terms of popularity. When I approached the glacier white color from a distance greater than 6-10 yards, I couldn't tell it was a metallic color. When the two are NOT side by side, I'd be hard pressed to identify the glacier as anything but Ibis.

A few years back, Audi had a color, Pearl White, that was -- remembering that color is subjective and totally personal -- the best white period. Of course, being "pearl" meant the color was not a pure white. Pearl White was metallic white + a hint of silver metallic + a hint of metallic gold. In Audi's current pallet of colors, Pearl White was a cousin of Curvee Silver, only lighter (more, er, "white").

With no offense meant to anyone, I can't see paying for the Glacier white when Ibis is a no charge "option" -- since it will be very rare for the two to be seen side by side which is where it is possible to see some differences between the two. When I had my first Pearl White on an Audi 5000CS quattro, I believe it was a $2,000 option. I did order the color on an Audi 90, and by then it was priced more like the current optional paint upchrage (except Panther, which was $1,075 on our 2014 SQ5).

Generally speaking paying for a color that is listed as "standard" (on the list of choices not considered Audi Exclusive) galls me. Yet, I did go for the Daytona Gray Pearl on my 2018 S4 after seeing an RS 7 on the showroom floor. I paired it with the red leather again -- and although it was supposed to be the "unique" to the S4 color (not available on the A4, that is), it seems that "everybody" went with the Daytona Color (at least here in SW Ohio). What was supposed to be unique isn't, that is.

I didn't consider the Audi Exclusive route because I was led to believe that the paint was $2,000, but that the price to play in the Audi Exclusive world was $2,500, meaning the Pearl White color would have been $4,500. For a car that was just south of $61,000 that amount seemed out of line. I now am unclear if the price would have been $2,500 or $2,000 or $4,500 since there does seem to be a bit of difference of opinion on the subject of Audi Exclusive. In any case, even $2,000 seems like a lot for a car in this price range. Your opinion may differ, of course.

I'll tell you what really caught my eye recently: The deep metallic green the tested RS 5 was shown in last month's Road & Track magazine. Of course, it appears the interior was black leather with green thread -- and you couldn't pay me to take a black interior. I have had it three times in 33 Audis and it shows every bit of dirt, it hotter than hell in the summer, and it makes the interior "shrink" in size and even more personally is depressing, like driving the car in a cave.

Ibis +1
Audi Exclusive paint is $3,900
Old 10-20-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Totally agree that either of the Whites shows the lines of the car best...
Old 10-21-2017, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by sworksone
I’ve had S4’s in both. Ibis is almost blindingly white - especially when washing in direct sunlight. Glacier has a perfect name as it is deeper and has a bluish/grey tinge to it just like a glacier. Personally while Ibis is nice I like glacier quite a bit more. Kind of a mix between Ibis and the amazing Suzuka Grey.
That's exactly how I see it too. But as we are throwing hats in the ring, I would prefer either Ibis or Suzuka rather than one in between the two Such personal choices though.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcincinnati

Ibis +1
I had a 1992 Audi 100 S in Pearlescent White ( I think that is what they called it). It was hands down the best color I've ever owned and was disappointed when it was discontinued. At the time, the dealership said it was extremely difficult to use as a "touch up" paint and they could never match it. Never did buy that explanation, and I've never owned another white car since........
Old 10-24-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vjbg8r
I had a 1992 Audi 100 S in Pearlescent White ( I think that is what they called it). It was hands down the best color I've ever owned and was disappointed when it was discontinued. At the time, the dealership said it was extremely difficult to use as a "touch up" paint and they could never match it. Never did buy that explanation, and I've never owned another white car since........
Because pearls are 3-step paints versus the standard 2 step, it's impossible to match with touch up paint, hence the reason why manufacturers don't make them.

Quick Reply: Glacier versus Ibis White