Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Help with Curb Rash

Old 04-17-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it's a lease car you shoulda/coulda had wheel/tire insurance

Originally Posted by HunterWagner View Post
OK ok, I don't need any grief from you all ha, but I got a bit of curb rash on my S5 back right rim this week and need advice. The picture below shows the damage, yes I am pissed about it. I saw a few videos online where you can sand down the chips to make it less noticeable. While standing up you really have to be looking closely to notice the damage. Any advice is appreciated. Apologies for the dirt and water as it has been terrible weather in Houston today.

My daughter's A3 got a new tire from a puncture and others have new wheels from potholes. The cost of alloys/tires just about requires insurance, much like iPhone insurance (I'd rather pay a few bux up front and have peace of mind.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My daughter's A3 got a new tire from a puncture and others have new wheels from potholes. The cost of alloys/tires just about requires insurance, much like iPhone insurance (I'd rather pay a few bux up front and have peace of mind.
"Few bux". My dealer wanted 1,200 for 5yr. Having never scrapped a curb, I declined the insurance.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Old 04-21-2019, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by garberfc View Post
"Few bux". My dealer wanted 1,200 for 5yr. Having never scrapped a curb, I declined the insurance.
If you consider that it costs $200 to fix and you donít have to deal with deductibles and fine print Iím sure it makes sense on average to decline it.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by belzebutt View Post
If you consider that it costs $200 to fix and you donít have to deal with deductibles and fine print Iím sure it makes sense on average to decline it.
That is why I declined it.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary View Post
That is why I declined it.
Yes, like all insurances, on average, we are better off without them.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As someone who always buys AppleCare ó and only had to use it several times over 10+ years ó I bought the wheel & tire insurance on my RSX. It more than paid for itself when I had to replace 2 16Ē tires and black chrome wheels in the first year of ownership of that vehicle.

Consequently, with the 19Ē wheels and tires, I also ponied up the money to buy the wheel, tire & key fob insurance on the S5. So far I havenít utilized it but with the condition of the roads down here (especially potholes) Iíd be very surprised if I donít use it at some point(s) in the future.

It may not be for everyone but itís worth the price to me.

ó John