Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Help Finding A 2019 RS5 Coupe On The Lot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Finding A 2019 RS5 Coupe On The Lot?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums here and the main reason why is cause I never owned an Audi. Luckily this year I've been wanting to get an RS5 Coupe BUT I want the 2019 model due to the carbon optics package. Now my issue is that I can't find an Audi dealer that will have a 2019 Model RS5 Coupe in my area until January but I need to get one in December due to taxes. Is there anyone that help me out with this? I live in Georgia and am willing to travel pretty far to find a 2019 model that's on a lot. Let me know what you guys think and how should I approach this I'd appreciate it a lot.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Run a search on Autotrader.com or cars.com I think someone else posted the 2019s aren't being released until Jan, though, so you might be SOL.

Last edited by CtheW0rld; 11-27-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CtheW0rld
Run a search on Autotrader.com or cars.com I think someone else posted the 2019s aren't being released until Jan, though, so you might be SOL.
I've exhausted so many searches even decided to call a lot of dealerships. Only one I've managed to find is one that might come on a lot in late December if I decided to buy it asap.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

It's unclear when 2019s will be released from port, so you may be stuck.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

As others have said, you'll be most likely out of luck. The '19s haven't touched down yet as far as I know. They are being delayed and the most likely reason is that Audi is struggling getting their cars certified under the new WLTP fuel regulations that became effective in Europe in September. I was chatting in another thread on AZ with somebody who has one on order. It was scheduled for production at the beginning of October, but has gradually been delayed and is now scheduled for a mid December production. The WLTP standard has been causing quite a disruption for all car manufactures, but VW/Audi seems to struggle particularly bad. I heard from an Audi employee that half their fleet is not meeting the standard. While WLTP does not directly affect US spec cars, if the production is being delayed it affects all markets. In addition due to the diesel scandal, the EPA is scrutinizing VW and Audi hard now. I doubt that the one you found will actually be here in late December.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
<snip>. The '19s haven't touched down yet as far as I know. <snip>
My dealer / sales person is telling me that my 2019 has at least landed and is stuck in RI some where. But, like you said, they haven't been allowed to be released.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Supposedly, some 2019s have been sitting at the port since as early as October, but no one knows when they will be released. The disastrous MY2019 transition is going to have a deleterious effect on Audi's 4Q sales; October sales in the US were down 17% YoY and I envision at least as poor a performance for November given the lack of 2018 4 and 5 model inventory remaining. December normally has the highest sales of the year and Audi's annual sales figures will suffer mightily if 2019s are not released imminently.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This discussion varies around 2 totally sperate subject, first building the cars and second getting them out of the port facilities. For the first the question is "is Audi building the vehicle" and for the second if they're built and sitting in a port facility in the US because some EPA nerd is doing paperwork. Or there could be a real issue? I've heard from a lot of high end dealers that I've done business with that they all have cars sitting in a port facility waiting on the EPA, so it's not just an Audi issue.

Now the real question is "are they building RS5 Sportbacks?" If they are they sure won't just let them sit in Germany, they'll ship them and deal with the port issues later. Another issue is that the first vehicles built and shipped are "launch models", usually really loaded or "sold vehicles" with a real customer attached. So if you're looking for one it's going to be a top dollar car.

The previous response was right on, they need to "move the metal" in car dealer speak or they have a terrible 4th quarter which will translate in a terrible year.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

How does one even try to "order" a 2019 RS5 when the Audiusa web site does not have 2019 models available? If it is a "tax" deal, I would find a black optics 2018 and go for it.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

In a reverse “Tax Deal” I used many years ago, for the same reason, I purchased the car at the end of the calendar year but wrote the sales tax check to the state on January 2nd. As I was paying cash for the car, I paid the dealer at the end of December but the paperwork was dated for January 2nd.

This was 35 years ago, well before everything was computerized, so it worked fine for both the dealer and me. I don’t know if this could be pulled off today.

I realize you’re in the reverse situation but maybe you could work out a similar deal to get the tax break this year? That implies a lot of trust in your dealership and I have no idea of your relationship to them.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: Help Finding A 2019 RS5 Coupe On The Lot?