Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How to add new apps into android auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to add new apps into android auto?

I am trying to add messenger app into my android auto for my S5. Does anyone have any idea how to do that?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The list of apps supported in Android Auto (or CarPlay) is restricted by Google/Apple. These two platforms only support the following main two categories of apps - Maps/Navigation and Music/Streaming/Podcast, along with some standard apps like News, Weather, Voice Assistant. The platforms are tightly controlled by Google/Apple to restrict the set of allowed apps especially since they should be deemed safe while operation during driving.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Android Auto including a link to the list of all Android Auto apps.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

An app that supports Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for that matter will show automatically. There are two parts that need to be met for that to happen. First, the app needs to fall into a supported category as mentioned above and then the developer needs to add support for it. Communication apps are supported, but only a few third party apps take advantage of it. If you are talking about Facebook Messenger then at least on iOS it doesn't support car use, so I assume it's the same on Android. The only third party messaging app I can use in the car is WhatsApp.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all those who replied. I have decided it is good enough to just use voice control "ok google" to operate texting.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just going to say this! It seems to work fairly well for me when I use it in Android Auto. My wife uses siri for her apple carplay.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jliuod
Thanks to all those who replied. I have decided it is good enough to just use voice control "ok google" to operate texting.
The only thing it doesn't do is, if you have both Google Messages and Google Voice installed is be able to select which one to send the dictated text message with. If one comes in and you reply it seems to go back out the way it came in.
I generally use GV for most everything, so some people get confused if I send them a text message from the car and it is delivered from my normal number.

-steve