Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How many of you actually find the bigger trunk in the Sportback useful?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 04:54 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

I’ll be the fly in the ointment:

1) I’ve only ever owned and driven Coupes or Hatchbacks. Personally, I’m not a fan of 4 Doors.

2) My last 3 cars have been hatchbacks, not that I’m necessarily a fan of hatchbacks, but that was offered in a Coupe.

3) My wife drives an Acura RDX so that SUV is the “workhorse” for shopping, traveling and day-to-day utility vehicles. She like the view from the SUV and it’s easier to get up and in than the down and in of the S5.

Consequently, the S5 Coupe flips all my switches!
Old 08-25-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a big tote in there today, could not have done it in the smaller trunk opening of the coupe.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default big time...

My wife is disabled. With my 435i coupe - definitely a bigger trunk than the S5 coupe - her rollator just fit in the trunk, leaving room for little else. Which meant that the back seat invariably ended up holding whatever else we were taking along. The Sportback holds her rollator, a lighter walker, several bags of groceries. Before the Sportback came out I was torn between a CUV like the Macan and a Golf R.

My wife always loved my M3s, and - especially since she could no longer drive her TT - she really resisted the down market look of the Golf R. And I just couldn't go to a CUV. We tried the 440i gran coupe but the trunk is significantly smaller. And I was fed up with the poor suspension of the xDrive 4 series (and the run flats) anyway. For us the S5 Sportback was really the only car on the market that ticked all of the boxes.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the S5 really offers an almost unique package, The 4 series BMW's come close, though, So close that I put my choice down to personal preference on subjective criteria rather than any objective advantages in the Audi.

I've had several coupes over the years, but always relished the return to 4 doors and the convenience that configuration offers - even if it's as simple as popping a briefcase behind my front seat. with no gymnastics needed.

I've removed the cargo lids to investigate and revel in the space available and the superb access - haven't actually needed it so far, but I like that it will be there when I do - and in a sleeker package than a waggon or SUV.

I'm sure it won't be long before it proves its worth. In any case I feel better about driving a truly practical vehicle rather then one that is designed first and foremost to be pretty.

Different drivers/different needs/different configurations. Nothing hard to understand about that,
Old 08-25-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

I've driven hatchback from 1980-2017 as I pretty much only drive SAABs (basically since my 2nd car). One of the reason is the hatchback. Back then, I do carry a lot of work related stuff and some of them are fairly large boxes that a hatchback makes much easier to load and unload. Even by the time that I don't really need to do that for work anymore, I'm used to having a hatch as it makes loading large objects so much easier as I was beginning to fly RC planes. So when it comes time to replace my 99 9-3 Viggen after SAAB went under. I ended up with a BMW wagon.in 2007. I start looking for a replacement around 2014, really like the S5 but needed a 4 door as I need to carry my elderly parents from time to time. Knowing that there's a SB available in Europe. I held out hope and waited. So pretty much the moment the I found the SB have made it to the states. I jumped, I bought the car without even driving it, basically just went looking for the one I want, found it 300 miles away, went to my local dealer and ask if they can get it for me and picked it up the moment it arrives.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:02 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Aside from the obvious functionality, the Sportback just looks 100x better than the two door coupe.

But hey - there is no accounting for taste (the reason rum raisin ice cream exists, gak).
Old 08-26-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
Aside from the obvious functionality, the Sportback just looks 100x better than the two door coupe.

But hey - there is no accounting for taste (the reason rum raisin ice cream exists, gak).
WTH man... rum raisin is awesome!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!

nonsense... rum raising ice cream is delicious!!!! actually, my favorite.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:59 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!

In Your NOT SO HUMBLE OPINION.

I’ll vote for a 2 Door Coupe as looking better — but that’s just my very biased opinion!
Old 08-27-2018, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because i'm gonna put my bike in it.

Quick Reply: How many of you actually find the bigger trunk in the Sportback useful?