Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How much to respray the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How much to respray the hood?

The car has 5 months only but the rock chips rate is alarming.... I have like 6. A lot of small rocks on the road due to an horrible winter. My previous car had nearly none in 3 years and yes, I keep my distance. To add an insult to my injury, some ice felt on the hood it looks like hail damage in two areas, barely visible but there if you search for it.. The car is leased. Not a B9 specific question, but any idea of cost to repair?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

I’m interested too. I’ve been trying to compound and polish my hood and bumper but those chips are too many, too big, and too deep to get out. I’m so sad to look at my car that way when I’m so detailed I even use Q-tips to clean certain areas.

Any one recommend any body shops in the west coast? Specifically, vegas or Phoenix. My biggest regret is not putting a clear bra on it. 😭

Old 05-16-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Even with Xpel on the bumper I get chips on the edges where bare paint is exposed. I can't imagine the carnage on the hood without the film. Also if I have buttons (even plastic) on my pants and accidentally nicks the corner of the door frame, it'd chip it. I swear the paint is made out of crayon.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone know how much it’d be? Or any recommendations on where to get it done? Any certifications I need to check? My hood is so severely damaged due to my 150 mile commute everyday in rocky Arizona. 😢
Old 05-30-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

It cost me 3K to have a passenger door replaced and repainted/blended, so it will definitely be far less than that. I'm not sure if you can just get the hood painted though, I believe they would need to blend it with the fenders.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

S5man, you can find some hack who'd do the work for a few hundred dollars. To have the job done properly, it comes down to exactly what Ycore mentions. They'd want to blend into adjacent panels and you are looking at a multi-thousand repair, I'd guess.

Plan B: Dr Colorchip followed by a PPF application.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

The numerous dents I had due to the ice falling on my car no longer exist. There were many on the hood and then two on the right door.

The guy did a terrific job. I was sure that it would just 'improve' and still see *something*. Nope.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default X5 Paint experience

My GF just had her 2015 X5 freshened up. There were numerous door dings, light damage to both bumpers and various stone chips on the front end, hood, and A pillars. The shop we used repaired everything including a full respray of front and rear bumpers with a perfect color match. I told her I thought she could expect to pay around $3K. The car looks like new and the total cost was only $1,400. The work was done by H &H Auto body on Hilton Head Island, SC. Based on that experience, I am pretty sure they would repair and paint the hood for under a grand. We knew this shop had a good rep, but were completely surprised by the quality of the work and the price. YMMV. It pays to shop around.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Depends on where you live and the quality you want.

Originally Posted by BlakeV
The car has 5 months only but the rock chips rate is alarming.... I have like 6. A lot of small rocks on the road due to an horrible winter. My previous car had nearly none in 3 years and yes, I keep my distance. To add an insult to my injury, some ice felt on the hood it looks like hail damage in two areas, barely visible but there if you search for it.. The car is leased. Not a B9 specific question, but any idea of cost to repair?
Cost me $2500 to have the front clip redone on my 03 M3. Good to excellent restoration shop in Rockville, MD.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I love Hilton Head...might be worth it to vacay there and have it done!

Originally Posted by Richr
My GF just had her 2015 X5 freshened up. There were numerous door dings, light damage to both bumpers and various stone chips on the front end, hood, and A pillars. The shop we used repaired everything including a full respray of front and rear bumpers with a perfect color match. I told her I thought she could expect to pay around $3K. The car looks like new and the total cost was only $1,400. The work was done by H &H Auto body on Hilton Head Island, SC. Based on that experience, I am pretty sure they would repair and paint the hood for under a grand. We knew this shop had a good rep, but were completely surprised by the quality of the work and the price. YMMV. It pays to shop around.
Went down there one time a week before Memorial Day and motel was dirt cheap. Nobody there. Hot and sticky already. Stopped there on the way to Miami, FL.
The following users liked this post:
Richr (07-06-2019)

Quick Reply: How much to respray the hood?