Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How's your Xpel holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default How's your Xpel holding up?

I have 11K miles on my car and the Xpel Ultimate Plus film has developed a few deep nicks on it. They actually penetrated the film but my paint seems to be OK. It just doesn't seem to be as durable (or as thick) as the original 3M film I've had on my other cars. One good thing is I haven't noticed any yellowing on my white car. People who have had Xpel put on, how is yours holding up?
Old 03-11-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

I had XPEL Ultimate installed in August 2014. I have put 88k miles on the car. The film is doing great. There is no yellowing at all. Great product.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had purchased the Xpel Ultimate 13 months ago I had asked my installer what I could do when I get a small nick in it from a stone. He told me he's never seen it; it won't happen. (I didn't believe that statement.) Sure enough, only 3 weeks after the install I got a nick in the film at the front part of the hood about 6 inches up from the front edge. I plan on keeping the car for many years. Wondering if in 4-5 years or so if the hood film gets "disfigured" enough that I would then get the film replaced.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have XPEL I have STEK but just over 2k miles and it seems to be holding up great. No damage to the film as far as I can tell. Taking a drive from Houston to San Antonio next month so that will be a good test for it.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

As a data point I am at 24,xxx miles and my 3M Pro film has 2 deep slices (maybe more -- haven't looked closely in a few thousand miles), one a slice in the hood that occurred less than a week after I installed it (instantly proved its value!) and one in the right headlight lens that I picked maybe a year later. In both instances the film seems to have completely protected the material it covers ... shields are now depleted in those tiny specific areas so to speak but the shield definitely did it's job. I am experiencing no yellowing, peeling or other product issues.

I realize you are asking about Xpel but I just wanted to share that my experience with 3M is very similar to what has been posted here about Xpel already. I believe all of these high end films will perform similarly.

My installer did tell me that chips/slices in the film will probably happen over time and some people choose to get just the affected sliced sections re-done, which they will do at a discount. The film should not yellow or lose clarity for a very very long time so you can afford to re-apply just one headlight film for example without any visible difference between the left and right lights, even if you do that 3-4 years in. I am 2 years into ownership and I see no reason to doubt what I was told.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No issues with my XPEL, with 3700 miles, here in SWFL, mostly a few love bugs(and various other bugs) smeared across it, that take a bit of extra rubbing to get cleaned off. But, no damage to any of it at this point.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After many years of offering Xpel, my high end shop also tries to discourage using them anymore. Just reporting, not pissing.

If anyone is having trouble with Xpel, I believe it comes with a 5 year manufacturer guarantee. Bring it back, and have it redone.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dafantom
After many years of offering Xpel, my high end shop also tries to discourage using them anymore. Just reporting, not pissing.

If anyone is having trouble with Xpel, I believe it comes with a 5 year manufacturer guarantee. Bring it back, and have it redone.
It comes with a 10 year warranty but does not cover normal wear and tear or impact by road debris.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default LOL...and that's why Xpel is not being used anymore,

Originally Posted by luder888
It comes with a 10 year warranty but does not cover normal wear and tear or impact by road debris.
Inadequate warranty.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the whole point of this film... to protect against debris and to take the impact instead of your paint. XPEL does have a self healing ability that is activated by heat (ie: the sun) that can make smaller bits of damage (dings, scratches, etc) disappear on the film. Obviously large tears or deep impacts may not be able to completely heal themselves depending on the extent of the damage.

If I found some gouges in the film, I'd just be happy it wasn't the paint and that the film did it's job. I wouldn't expect the film to be impenetrable or for the manufacturer to cover such damage.

Quick Reply: How's your Xpel holding up?