Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Huge engine issue with early B9 S5/RS5/SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

Older rockers, you can tell by the size of the centre pin.
The following users liked this post:
ospf (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it is tough to see from your photos.

I looked for 3 things when comparing to the "known" photo:

1. Size of the bearings - fatter is better
2. Size of the center pin - smaller is better
3. Curve of the arm next to the pin - curve toward the pin is better.

Maybe try a different angle???
Nikon1 (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MBHWY
I think it is tough to see from your photos.

I looked for 3 things when comparing to the "known" photo:

1. Size of the bearings - fatter is better
2. Size of the center pin - smaller is better
3. Curve of the arm next to the pin - curve toward the pin is better.

Maybe try a different angle???
I think JohnEnglish is right, it appears the center pin on mine is considerably larger than the roller bearings, and the arm does not seem to curve toward the center pin. DAMN!

If I take the car to Audi now I have a feeling they will tell me "oh thats just normal engine noise" I would like to demand they replace the rockers with the newer ones but I suspect unless the car has some kind of catastrophic failure they will do nothing...and if/when that failure occurs I will surely be out of warranty since its up in 3 weeks and my mileage is still low. Attached a video of my engine running. Does this sound like normal EA839 noise?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2882.mov (6.46 MB, 94 views)

Last edited by ospf; 03-25-2023 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

Hard to say. It sounds like normal injector noise but it also sounds like there’s a “fluttering” noise in the background. It might just be a compression artifact or something.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ospf
I think JohnEnglish is right, it appears the center pin on mine is considerably larger than the pins, and the arm does not seem to curve toward the pin. DAMN!

If I take the car to Audi now I have a feeling they will tell me "oh thats just normal engine noise" I would like to demand they replace the rockers with the newer ones but I suspect unless the car has some kind of catastrophic failure they will do nothing...and if/when that failure occurs I will surely be out of warranty. Attached a video of my engine running. Does this sound like normal EA839 noise?
I would say take it to Audi and ask them to diagnose the flutter noise.

Even if they deny the potential issue, you have established your concern in the vehicle's service history before your warranty run out.
The following 3 users liked this post by MBHWY:
jwizzle (03-24-2023), Nikon1 (03-24-2023), ShiftyWolf (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHWY
I would say take it to Audi and ask them to diagnose the flutter noise.

Even if they deny the potential issue, you have established your concern in the vehicle's service history before your warranty run out.
Definitely a good idea, particularly because there may be a forthcoming class-action lawsuit for this issue based on the past history of VW/Audi engines.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Definitely a good idea, particularly because there may be a forthcoming class-action lawsuit for this issue based on the past history of VW/Audi engines.
Agree. Good idea to get it on the record that I brought up the concern while I was still in warranty. I’ll be taking it in very soon!
Old 03-29-2023, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahorvath
This is extremely scary I just watched the final youtube video about the RS5 that needed a new engine at 47k and what they found will affect a lot of Audi and Porsche owners. I am an owner of a 2018 S5 and 2019 SQ5 which both have engines with old-style rocker arms according to the manufacturing dates. I am not sure at this point if I should sell both cars or have the updated rocker arms installed before my engines blow up the same way. What would you guys do? I have 50K on my S5 and 27k on the SQ5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdlLMMsDcZc
I can understand why you would be worried about your own cars and wondering what to do next. It's never easy to know the right course of action when faced with something like this.

First off, I would recommend doing some research to try and find out more about the issue and whether it's widespread or just affecting a small number of vehicles. It's also worth speaking to a trusted mechanic or dealer to get their opinion on whether you should have the updated rocker arms installed or not. Here is a guide about firing engine <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://nerdycar.com/6-cylinder-engine-firing-order/

Ultimately, the decision will come down to how much you trust your vehicles and whether you feel comfortable continuing to drive them as they are. If you do decide to sell them, make sure to disclose any potential issues to potential buyers so that they can make an informed decision.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:41 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

@FitBoy — Or, take the route of parting with some bucks and buying an extended warranty for pease of mind.

— John
BK_AudiFan (03-29-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also bought the Audi warranty on my 2018 for the same reason…..19, 500 miles… Only concern lies with the current difficulty in obtaining parts timely and staff shortages if this potential problem grows. But it certainly provides some peace of mind. Hopefully only an isolated issue….or it will impact used values. Mike

Quick Reply: Huge engine issue with early B9 S5/RS5/SQ5