Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Keep A7 or order S5 Sportback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:15 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Keep A7 or order S5 Sportback?

I have a 2014 A7 with only 9k miles on it, S-line all options. Great car! Lease is coming due soon and contemplating either keeping it and waiting until the next A7 arrives or ordering an S5 Sportback.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey f10, I'm in a similar situation as you...I'm considering ordering an S5 and I have a 2013 A7 with 50K KMs, although it's purchased so no rush to make a decision.

I like the fact the S5 is a bit smaller than the A7 as it is a big car, and the new S5 engine will be more responsive than the supercharged V6 in the A7.

Although I'm hesitant to order an S5 until I've seen the new A7; as it is likely to have a brand new interior like the recent concept cars or along the same lines of the new Porsche Panamera. And in my mind that could make the S5 feel a bit dated or lower tech for the same amount of money as an A7. Maybe when the new A8 comes out later this year that will give us a better indication of what the A7/A6 interior could be like.

The new S5 is really nice car, experienced one at the Toronto Auto Show last month and it's a big improvement on the previous generation. Love the sports seats and carbon fibre trim. Obviously it will feel more sporty than the A7 too.

Also want a test drive of the S5 in order to experience the adaptive damper suspension, I'm wary of the fact that the S5's ride will be harder than the A7 and want to determine whether I'll miss the feel of the A7 for everyday driving.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A7 bigger, roomier, still iconic in design. New one out in maybe 2 years, it will be really exciting as far as handling and performance. New S5 Sportback will be great, maybe more nimble with less weight and overall better handling due to size.....design is sharp but new A7 will be more distinctive - has to be, thats the whole point !
Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

That leaves me with 2 options:

1. Buy my A7 at lease end. It is worth much more than the lease residual.
2. Extend A7 lease 3-6 months and then lease an S5 Sportback for 2 years until the new A7 arrives.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

option 2 for sure ! I would be tired of S5 after 2 years and then excitement of new A7 !, and if not tired then just keep S5 - not sure if its exactly two years - ask dealer
Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

If your A7 is worth much more than the residual, why don't you buy it, hold onto it for a while, then sell it after the S5 SB has been out for a while and prices have cooled? The A7 is still an eye-catching beauty.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:49 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
If your A7 is worth much more than the residual, why don't you buy it, hold onto it for a while, then sell it after the S5 SB has been out for a while and prices have cooled? The A7 is still an eye-catching beauty.
Data suggests I have about $7-8k in equity in my A7 compared to the residual. Any drawbacks to buying at the end of the lease? Car only has 9000 miles on it and looks brand new. Maybe that is the best option - buy it and then sell it when the new A7 arrives.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
Data suggests I have about $7-8k in equity in my A7 compared to the residual. Any drawbacks to buying at the end of the lease? Car only has 9000 miles on it and looks brand new. Maybe that is the best option - buy it and then sell it when the new A7 arrives.
I don't know of any drawbacks of buying the car after the lease is up. The bad thing about Audis is they don't lease well because they don't inflate their end-of-lease residuals like many other carmakers. The good thing is that they are pretty realistic or low-balled so you come out even or sometimes ahead when the lease is up. You are in a fortunate position.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my second A7 and thinking the same thing for a variety of reasons. One is that I'm 2-3 years from retirement and looking to spend less money. I actually think the S5 Sportback may be better looking as the angle is not as "droopy" looking. Performance obviously should be better as well. Stereo should be better without having to spend $5,000 extra (no, I did not).
Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

go on to youtube and look up A5 sportback . There are great videos with real close up of the car. I was so impressed at the thought that has gone into every aspect of the exterior design. the rear end is so well executed with the side creases merging with the tails lights, the crease along the side flaring out at the doors then merging with the front lights, the sculpture of the the rear lights and the front hood contours. It gets an A+ in my books, that why I ordered one haha

Quick Reply: Keep A7 or order S5 Sportback?