Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

kick to open trunk lid work for anyone with '18 S5 SB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kick to open trunk lid work for anyone with '18 S5 SB?

I've just not been able to figure out how to get it to work reliably. Only seems to work once every 10 or so tries. very frustrating...
Old 12-18-2017, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

You must have the key fob with you.
stand at the center of rear deck lid (or just to the right of center)
slow to med smooth kick of your foot that goes just under the rear bumper but not actually hitting the rear bumper with your leg.
do not stop when your foot is under the bumper - kick in then out without a pause when your foot is under the bumper.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
slow to med smooth kick of your foot that goes just under the rear bumper but not actually hitting the rear bumper with your leg.
do not stop when your foot is under the bumper - kick in then out without a pause when your foot is under the bumper.
Does it work reliably for you?
Old 12-18-2017, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Almost every time. Sometimes I swear it works a little better if I am just to the right of center and using my right foot to kick, but I have the coupe so I do not know if that makes any difference. I think it is looking for the sweeping motion of your foot going under the bumper and then back out.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Almost every time. Sometimes I swear it works a little better if I am just to the right of center and using my right foot to kick, but I have the coupe so I do not know if that makes any difference. I think it is looking for the sweeping motion of your foot going under the bumper and then back out.
Yea, I watched a video on it too, and i think you are right.

I just can't figure out if I am doing something wrong because it just doesn't work very reliably for me. like 1 in 10 times.

I walk away from the car. then walk up to the center of the bumper, about 8" away and I try kicking with a straight leg just to right of the center, and then wait. I've tried slowly, moderately, fast.

Just can't figure it out.

I have the SB
Old 12-18-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts

Hey, that sounds like a field sobriety test!
Old 12-18-2017, 04:47 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Men works fine, but today i learned it you have the ignition on it won't open (I was vacuuming her out while listening to iTunes).
Old 12-18-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Takes a bit getting used to, Even after 2 months, I would say, I got it above 80% of the times.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Works 90% of the time for me ... so fairly reliable. Rarely do I use it because I need to though -- i.e., hands full. It's more of a novelty. I can't even call it convenient, since you have to master the kick motion AND it has a slight (couple second) delay, which can be awkward. But I do like the feature.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That’s a good point. You do have to kick and then wait for about 2 seconds before the lid actually opens. Like Rob pointed out it is more of a novelty since I find it really easy to either reach into my pocket and hit the trunk button or press the button on the underside of the trunk lid to open it. Our key fob has a raised lock button so it is really easy to find the trunk button on the remote without having to take the key out of your pocket.

Quick Reply: kick to open trunk lid work for anyone with '18 S5 SB?