Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

lug bolt caps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lug bolt caps?

so I got my winter wheels put on, and the folks that swapped OEM wheels for my aftermarket one put the lug cover on.

They did say they were pretty snug and were concerned about how I'd take them off if I needed to.

In looking at them I don't really know how'd I remove them without destroying them, so I'm going to buy a set of replacements.

I'm guessing the OEM wheels have a slightly larger bolt hole than aftermarket wheels? Does that make sense?

Also, any idea what I need to look for when buying bolt covers? I see some on amazon, just not clear specifically what I am looking for...

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

What do yours look like? Some have a lip that you could use a tool to grasp but if very snug, may be tough. Some also have holes that you could put a stubby hex key in or a decent size wire that's been bent 90 degrees.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
What do yours look like? Some have a lip that you could use a tool to grasp but if very snug, may be tough. Some also have holes that you could put a stubby hex key in or a decent size wire that's been bent 90 degrees.
I'll have to try to pull one out to do that.

Regardless any idea what I should be looking for for replacements?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
I'll have to try to pull one out to do that.

Regardless any idea what I should be looking for for replacements?
Not really, as I generally remove and don't use. I have a bunch in my basement I can just send you if you want to cover shipping.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
Not really, as I generally remove and don't use. I have a bunch in my basement I can just send you if you want to cover shipping.
That's be great, thanks. Will DM you for details
Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For removal of lug covers, you may have the tools to do this already with your spare changing tool kit (and or wheel lock set).

Otherwise, you just need something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/322978770107?chn=ps
Old 11-14-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

When I put on my winter BBS wheels last year for the first time I found the factory Audi caps too big and came to the same conclusion that I would never be able to easily get them off again. I bought these slightly smaller ones on ebay. They are the same 17mm hex inside, but don't have the "double-wall" thickness. They work great. All for less than a couple bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Grade-...item3f8b9f86fe
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a stupid question: what is the purpose of these caps - is it just cosmetic? I didn't have any caps on my BMW.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Cosmetic. Or you could claim it keeps the road dirt and salt off the bolts too. I think they are needed to look good and consistent.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I typically take mine off after the first wheel swap and then never put them back on. The bolts are usually deep enough in the wheel that they are not noticeable unless you look for them. They can be a pain in the a$$ to remove even under ideal garage conditions, so they are not something I want to be dealing with in case I have to change a wheel as 2am on the side of a busy highway in the rain.

Quick Reply: lug bolt caps?