Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

In the market

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The RS5 is the best looking of the four cars even thought it is the slowest. Audi has always try to build a car that excels in all areas, not just the fastest.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We need to remember what the RS program is...a profit machine. Audi takes existing designs that are reliable and tunes them. Fair and straightforward its what they do. RS has followed this recipe for quite some time. However, of the options I heard:C63S - Rear wheel drive. (Great machine drove it on the autobahn late last year). @superswiss How are you expecting to fit a family of 4 with all of their luggage while driving around in Europe? And you based your buying decision whether you can drive the car around for two weeks? You keep your cars for so long that doesn't make sense. Can I repeat rear wheel drive?
To put it in perspective I was all over Europe, China, and Australia last year and drove a German car in every country. The most expensive rental was 1200 euro for a week in Germany. I do not see it with the European delivery program. Model 3? - Electric Motor and fit and finish of a play-doh sand castle. If you are looking at electric either wait for Audi in 2 years or buy model S now. At least the model 3 can be had in AWD flavor. Again, much smaller. Bonus: looks like a smooshed duck. Quad - I like this car a lot. I just wished a more reliable car manufacturer had built it for Alfa. Again, another RWD vehicle that is much smaller. Owning a car like this past 10,000 miles scares me to death. Sqeeks and rattles anyone?RS5 Sportback is the *best* grand touring car on the market right now. It has no competition. It is a bargain at $74K. Audi is first to this space here in the US at this price point, and they set the bar. BMW and MB will be coming and when they do there is no way their offerings will start at $74K.If you all haven't had the opportunity, test drives a Porsche panorama 4s and then test drive an RS5 Sportback. $25K savings. Of all the arguments I heard the one that makes the most sense is the S5 Sportback owners today because of the price difference is so steep. I can understand that, but comparing it to a) smaller cars, b) naturally aspirated cars or c) electric motors d) RWD is impressive.

Last edited by chicago_marketing; 02-13-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

^^I had a different impression on the Model 3.

I'd put the fit/finish and refinement on these cars as:
  1. RS5
  2. C63
  3. Tesla
  4. <<huge gap>>
  5. Alfa
Flip that in exact reverse order for driving enjoyment. And FWIW the Tesla has the most interior space and by far the most cargo space. With the frunk and two levels of trunk storage I'd guess that it has more space than most midsize SUVs.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The fit and finish on my friend’s Quadrafolgio was fantastic. The entire interior was solid, and I was blown away by that. To me, Tesla has the most questionable fit and finish, and I don’t care for Tesla at all.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by chicago_marketing
We need to remember what the RS program is...a profit machine. Audi takes existing designs that are reliable and tunes them. Fair and straightforward its what they do. RS has followed this recipe for quite some time.However, of the options I heard:C63S - Rear wheel drive. (Great machine drove it on the autobahn late last year). @superswiss How are you expecting to fit a family of 4 with all of their luggage while driving around in Europe? And you based your buying decision whether you can drive the car around for two weeks? You keep your cars for so long that doesn't make sense. Can I repeat rear wheel drive? To put it in perspective I was all over Europe, China, and Australia last year and drove a German car in every country. The most expensive rental was 1200 euro for a week in Germany. I do not see it with the European delivery program. Model 3? - Electric Motor and fit and finish of a play-doh sand castle. If you are looking at electric either wait for Audi in 2 years or buy model S now. At least the model 3 can be had in AWD flavor. Again, much smaller. Bonus: looks like a smooshed duck.Quad - I like this car a lot. I just wished a more reliable car manufacturer had built it for Alfa. Again, another RWD vehicle that is much smaller. Owning a car like this past 10,000 miles scares me to death. Sqeeks and rattles anyone?RS5 Sportback is the *best* grand touring car on the market right now. It has no competition. It is a bargain at $74K. Audi is first to this space here in the US at this price point, and they set the bar. BMW and MB will be coming and when they do there is no way their offerings will start at $74K.If you all haven't had the opportunity, test drives a Porsche panorama 4s and then test drive an RS5 Sportback. $25K savings.Of all the arguments I heard the one that makes the most sense is the S5 Sportback owners today because of the price difference is so steep. I can understand that, but comparing it to a) smaller cars, b) naturally aspirated cars or c) electric motors is impressive.
What family of 4? I'm going mostly by myself for 2 months, not 2 weeks. Europe is my second home. My wife will probably join me at some point. If I had a family of 4, I wouldn't be buying a coupe. What's wrong with rear wheel drive? I live in a part of the country that gets no snow and only about 60 days of rain in a given year. I do not exclusively base the purchasing decision on being able to do European Delivery. The scale was honestly already tipped towards the C63. ED just made the argument even stronger. I think we have to differentiate between the coupe and the SB. A coupe is not a practical purchase decision in the first place. Nobody buys a coupe to shuttle their family around. Coupes are bought because of style and increased perceived sportiness, while still providing enough practicality and comfort for a couple and a weekend out of town. Nobody is expecting a coupe to be sensible, so the more outrages the better. The SB on the other hand is a different story. As you said it currently has no direct competitors. I would take it over the M3 or the C63 sedan if I was in the market for a 4 door family car, but I'm not. The thing for me specifically is that I don't buy cars, because I need one. I don't commute. Most of my driving is for fun and recreational, but I can't quite get myself to buy a pure sports car, because I do road trips and run daily errands and also occasionally have passengers, and don't really wanna own multiple cars for different purposes. Aside from the pure driving experience that I'm looking for and finding in the C63, it also has better driving assistance features for my long distance road trips. I think not many folks are aware that MB has an equally capable system as Tesla's Autopilot. They just don't advertise it as much. Audi reverts to only basic lane keeping assist outside of traffic jams, so IMO the C63 is actually a better long distance cruiser, too.

I'm not gonna go too much into the Model 3. I don't find EVs to fit my lifestyle currently and there are valid concerns regarding build quality etc, but you might underestimate it from a driving perspective. You should at least go drive one before dismissing it. It's a fun car to drive.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So we have the rs5 in a first place win with the best looking and best quality. Not sure which one of the 4 cars is the fastest.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be the Quad or Tesla.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
So we have the rs5 in a first place win with the best looking and best quality. Not sure which one of the 4 cars is the fastest.
Model 3 by far in anything 1/4 mile or less from a dig, or under ~90mph from a roll.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Depends on what you measure and if looking at coupe or sedan/sportback. The coupes where available are the fastest for each. They are all very close, the Model 3 performance stands out with ~0.5s faster 0-60 than the others, but 1/4, they are all high 11, except for the RS5 being in the 12.

Model 3 Performance: 0-60 3.3s, 1/4 11.8s
Quad: 0-60 3.6s, 1/4 11.9s
C63 S Coupe (MY19 as it's faster than MY18 thanks to the new transmission): 0-60 3.7s, 1/4 11.9s
RS5 Coupe: 0-60 3.7s, 1/4 12.4s

Last edited by superswiss; 02-13-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting commentary!
i looked at a model 3, not impressed. I’d really miss the dash and gauges. Too distracting plus the interior was rather sterile.
The quadrifoglio would be awesome but I need awd.
I came across a preowned s4 prestige ‘18, min miles saves 15k over brand new similarly equipped s4, Daytona pearl on magma red (drooling) that looks like it has the sport package. Is there a site I can run the VIN to get the window sticker?

Quick Reply: In the market