Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Mechanic "Beating up" My Car on Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Now THIS is a Joy ride.....

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ph-test-drive/
The following users liked this post:
DCB1951 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Tempest in the Teapot

Originally Posted by bobdolex
I don't think OP thinks this is a 'big deal' in the sense that he's going to demand a new car or have them replace the engine and transmission. He's rightfully annoyed that the mechanic did this, which basically was a joyride. As I've mentioned before, how would you feel if a valet did this to your car? Or what if it was a mechanic when your car was in for an oil change? Maybe you wouldn't care, but personally I would be very annoyed by this unprofessional behavior.

I guess what I don't get from the people defending this, do you feel this is appropriate behavior? How do you know this mechanic isn't doing this to every high performance vehicle? I think OPs reaction and resolution was completely justified.
As I said in previous post, I do that to my car on just about every outing as a test of engine and brakes. Motorcycle riders routinely do that. No harm was done to the car. This blog is about peoples' love of complaining/accusing. MICROAGGRESSION!
Mister Bally (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 08:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally

And the Tesla dealer (assuming it was a new vehicle) never asked for his drivers license & insurance card - and let him “test drive” it alone? Are Tesla dealers that desperate to sell cars? And, if it was a private seller, who would be stupid enough to let a total stranger “test drive” their car?

To quote Forrest Gump, “Stupid is as Stupid does.”

— John
Old 01-17-2020, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by morris39
As I said in previous post, I do that to my car on just about every outing as a test of engine and brakes. Motorcycle riders routinely do that. No harm was done to the car. This blog is about peoples' love of complaining/accusing. MICROAGGRESSION!
First, the dealership didn't "cave in"to anything. I didn't go there, expecting to be rewarded... I have a feeling they did... In fact, they were insisting on me getting something for the car from their shop, to which I said no...
I simply pointed out that their staff should be more respectful to the client's property regardless of its cost and, most importantly, accelerating on the local street, most likely, tripling it's speed limit, is beyond stupid.
I wonder how would you feel if your child would be crossing/playing on that street when someone like him was on it? Would it "offend your sensibilities"?
Now, thanks to the dashboard camera, that boy racer will have some time to think about what he did.

Last edited by vexige; 01-17-2020 at 10:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vexige:
davjo68 (01-17-2020), DCB1951 (01-18-2020), JD15 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
And the Tesla dealer (assuming it was a new vehicle) never asked for his drivers license & insurance card - and let him “test drive” it alone? Are Tesla dealers that desperate to sell cars? And, if it was a private seller, who would be stupid enough to let a total stranger “test drive” their car?

To quote Forrest Gump, “Stupid is as Stupid does.”

— John
It was the Tesla Company owned sales office in Troy, Michigan.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:16 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
It was the Tesla Company owned sales office in Troy, Michigan.

“Stoopid Is As Stoopid Does” certainly does apply for that sales office! They certainly got what they deserved.

— John
Mister Bally (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdolex
I don't think OP thinks this is a 'big deal' in the sense that he's going to demand a new car or have them replace the engine and transmission. He's rightfully annoyed that the mechanic did this, which basically was a joyride. As I've mentioned before, how would you feel if a valet did this to your car? Or what if it was a mechanic when your car was in for an oil change? Maybe you wouldn't care, but personally I would be very annoyed by this unprofessional behavior. I guess what I don't get from the people defending this, do you feel this is appropriate behavior? How do you know this mechanic isn't doing this to every high performance vehicle? I think OPs reaction and resolution was completely justified.
Agree.

Originally Posted by morris39
Agree, in part with this and your prior post. These cars can handle just about anything, and likely no harm caused. The point is that you and others are entitled to do whatever you chose with your property, NOT with the property of others. In this case, the mechanic clearly took it out for a Ferris Bueller type joyride and beat on it unnecessarily, as the problem occurred during normal driving. Let the mechanic beat on his own car. Golden rule.
Would not categorize particular blog this as a love of complaining, but more along the lines of what are reasonable expectations when dropping off cars for service. Most would not want to drop off where miscreants are permitted to screw off, and will opt to patronize another dealership that respects its customers.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

To chime in here, I 100% agree with the OP. He paid for his car and it’s his property. He may choose to launch it into space every morning if he pleases - it’s his car. NO ONE - not even a service technician - has the right to abuse his property, without his explicit consent. No matter what that car is capable of. I cannot understand how some people here are arguing that it’s ok to drive someone else’s car hard and beat up on it - because the car was built for that. If anyone did that to my car, I would absolutely be upset about it. It’s for no one to decide, but him!
Old 01-18-2020, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by IceSilverMetallicA5
To chime in here, I 100% agree with the OP. He paid for his car and it’s his property. He may choose to launch it into space every morning if he pleases - it’s his car. NO ONE - not even a service technician - has the right to abuse his property, without his explicit consent. No matter what that car is capable of. I cannot understand how some people here are arguing that it’s ok to drive someone else’s car hard and beat up on it - because the car was built for that. If anyone did that to my car, I would absolutely be upset about it. It’s for no one to decide, but him!
This is one of the more amusing blogs here no doubt. It can be considered (if you choose to consider at all) in terns of what the Red Queen asserted. Words mean exactly what I say they mean.
So taking the car to red line is abuse b/c I say so. Or do I say the opposite? The important thing is what I say not whether some physical change took place.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 358 Likes on 232 Posts

From my perspective there are two issues here:
  1. Personal property and the choice of what happens to it
  2. Financial impact had something gone wrong resulting in damage to the vehicle
The personal property item has been addressed above in prior posts so I won't comment further beyond agreeing with the OP that the car is his property and therefore has every right to dictate what can and cannot happen with it. He didn't consent to unnecessary use / treatment, therefore the technician was in the wrong.

The second item hasn't been addressed yet however. Fortunately nothing went wrong such as an accident where property, a person or pet were harmed. What if the technician crashed? Now certainly the dealership would have repaired any damage. HOWEVER, we all know that a damaged and repaired vehicle looses value due to the crash and rarely is ever the same after the repair. I seriously doubt the dealership would have replaced the entire vehicle or compensated the owner had the technician crashed or damaged the car. Even minor fender benders can result in permanent issues with a car. I've experienced this personally on several vehicles over the years. Body parts don't line up, paint isn't quite matched, rattles develop, etc, etc, etc. The owner ends bearing the long term costs and that isn't right.

Quick Reply: Mechanic "Beating up" My Car on Test Drive