Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Mishimoto B9 S4/S5 Catch Can R&D Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to bump this up again, and also let you know that we're on the hunt for another S4/5 to perform our mileage testing on, since the Green Machine was on loan from a local dealership. If you happen to be in the DE/MD/NJ/PA area and are interested in donating your Audi, drop me a PM!

-Nick
Old 10-03-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Guys,

Bumping this up since we're still looking for an S4/5 loaner vehicle to run our mileage testing on! If you're in the area shoot me a PM and we can get you scheduled to come in!

-Nick
Old 10-03-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Presence of oil does not confirm rate of accumulation or demonstrate a need for a catch can, as I said, catch can always filled with water and very little oil.

If a very small amount of oil blowing by was a problem they would have just made the stock system better, but I am certain its not a problem.

But by all means keep trying to sell product that people don't need to the others who will gladly buy this because they believe the marketing. Just voicing my opinion.
+1
Old 01-10-2019, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to bump this up and let you know that we're still plugging away at this project! We're going to have an S4 back in the shop next week to fit up our prototype so that we can put some mileage on our kit. Stay tuned!

-Nick
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Presence of oil does not confirm rate of accumulation or demonstrate a need for a catch can, as I said, catch can always filled with water and very little oil.

If a very small amount of oil blowing by was a problem they would have just made the stock system better, but I am certain its not a problem.

But by all means keep trying to sell product that people don't need to the others who will gladly buy this because they believe the marketing. Just voicing my opinion.

Plus if you drive in sub freezing temperatures these kits are dangerous if you do not routinely (every couple days) empty the canister. You don't want to have the can full of frozen water.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Guys!

I know it's been a minute since we've have an update on this project, but we're still plugging away at this project. We actually just finished up our road testing and are working on finalizing the design of the kit so make sure you stay tuned for more info!

The presence of oil is actually a clear indicator that there would be a need for a catch can. So, the photo of the stock PCV line was taken from a brand new, never own S5 straight from the lot, and still had oil/blow-by residue in the line post stock air-oil separator. Here's what we emptied from the kit installed on our loaner vehicle that was driven daily:

Our can is mounted in line with the PCV system after the stock air-oil separator. Granted, since test was performed in the winter there is a higher amount of water condensation collected within the can, but after the blow-by separates, we can see a clear indication of how much oil is passing into the turbo, and intake tract. All of the info is coming up in the blog posts!

Originally Posted by jhstl
Plus if you drive in sub freezing temperatures these kits are dangerous if you do not routinely (every couple days) empty the canister. You don't want to have the can full of frozen water.
Freezing blow-by is always a concern that is voiced in just about every project :P So, yes, in the colder months, and climates there is going to be a higher concentration of water caught in the catch can, but provided you're driving your car frequently, and letting it properly warm up you won't see any issues from freezing contents in the system. The residual heat from the engine bay is plenty to make sure that the can doesn't become a solid brick

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Nick
Old 03-22-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

So what looks to be less than 1 tablespoon of oil (most of that vial is water) in a test vehicle driven all winter? Like I said, presence of oil does not indicate rate of accumulation. If this is 4 months then were looking at 3.75mL per month? What kind of problem is that causing in the car? (hint: none)

Furthermore, no indication of the amount of oil stopped from passing through.

I wouldn't have responded to this thread again, but hey you're the one quoting me....
Old 03-29-2019, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Guys!

Coming in with another bump for this thread and the first installment of our blog on this project. For the full scoop, make sure that you head over to the Engineering Blog!

I know you guys have been dying for some more green

Our very green S5 loaner came straight from the dealer's lot with oil residue in the PCV lines already, showing us that there is a definite need for the a catch can within the 3.0T's system. But what about the factory AOS you might ask? That is actually doing a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to separating the blow-by from the crankcase pressure, but due to space limitations within the AOS, some oil and fuel particles can, and as we've seen, will still slip through to build carbon on the intake valves. On a direct injected vehicle, this is the express lane to gunked valves and expensive valve cleanings. That's where we come in with the catch can.

Make sure that you head to the Engineering Blog to see how our prototype fits under the hood, and stay tuned for our testing results.

Also make sure you sign up to our mailing list to stay up to date on all of Mishimoto's latest releases!

As always feel free to ask any questions you might have!

-Nick
Old 10-16-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Guys!

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead just to let you know that A. yes we're still working on this project, and B. we're actually getting very close to our presale launch!

In the mean time, we wanted to run a little contest and the winner will get a free pair of Mishimoto work gloves!

The photo below is the blow-by collected over the first 1000 miles of driving, and it's a mix of all sorts of nasty stuff. We let it sit and separate over a few days, so the first one to correctly guess the amount of oil (In mL) that was collected in this test gets the gloves! I'll reveal the winner with our next update which is coming soon!

Feel free to reach out with any questions in the mean time!

-Nick

Last edited by Mishimoto; 10-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

about 10ml (edit--->).. of water, about 30ml oil. (had a doh! moment. OK if my edit doesn't count).

Last edited by heymoe; 10-17-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Mishimoto B9 S4/S5 Catch Can R&D Thread