Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Muffler flapper valves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler flapper valves?

The muffler has four movable flapper valves and are controlled by the select mode and how hard you are pushing on the throttle.
Has anyone found a way to keep all four muffler valves open all the time?
Some aftermarker companys make modules to control the valve postions, but I have not see one for the S5 yet.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Valves are the same design as all the other cars, so AWE's remote should work.

I have one I'm not using, not sure when I'll have time to check it out though.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I purchased the CETE active valve module from Europrice recently and installed it. I've been meaning to write up a full report on it as well as tips for the installation. It's the same part they sell for the A4/S4/S5/A5 models. While the stock muffler in my S5SB is not very noisy, I actually like it this way. With the valve control module the change is subtle but really nice: a little more noisy in Dynamic, and actually quieter than stock in Comfort. In Dynamic Drive Select, the flaps are always open (stock: they open only above 3500 RPM) so it's a little more growly. Comfort (or Individual with Exhaust set to Comfort) the valves only open > 5000 (stock again its 3500 RPM). Two other points of note: If they weren't in comfort when you turned the car off, flaps are always open when you do a cold start next time, so it sounds decently loud. Also, you can hit the ESC button twice and it will open/close the valves, irrespective of Drive Select mode.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are only two valves in the exhaust. You can unplug them when the car is off and they will stay open 100% of the time. I have had mine this way for months. Comfort mode is still quieter and has far less pops and bangs than dynamic.

-Eli
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TJEli
There are only two valves in the exhaust. You can unplug them when the car is off and they will stay open 100% of the time. I have had mine this way for months. Comfort mode is still quieter and has far less pops and bangs than dynamic.

-Eli
i did this as well and found it makes the car pretty loud, i ended up plugging one of the sides back in to reduce it a little (but its still more aggressive than closed)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I was actually thinking of unplugging them too. Do you guys know of any issues that may come up with warranties or what not? I was a little hesitant since the car is leased
Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Navarrablues5
I was actually thinking of unplugging them too. Do you guys know of any issues that may come up with warranties or what not? I was a little hesitant since the car is leased
It logs an error code for the exhaust valves. Should not effect warranty at all. You can also plug them back in and clear the codes before taking it in if you are worried.

-Eli
Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah it totally voids your warranty if you do this....

/s
Old 02-09-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Yeah it totally voids your warranty if you do this....

/s
not sure if this is a joke?

also for those of you guys who did it, how did you seal up the plug? Thanks !
Old 02-09-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

not sure if this is a joke?

also for those of you guys who did it, how did you seal up the plug? Thanks !
I put a piece of electrical tape over the end and plugged them back in almost all the way.

-Eli

Quick Reply: Muffler flapper valves?