Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Multiple phone issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Multiple phone issues

So just got my A5 Sportback and been playing with all the new features and familiarizing myself with different scenarios that come up (Navigation, Bluetooth, Phone etc).

I paired my wife's phone as 2nd phone and when we got in the car this weekend and she received a call it said the name of the caller on the MMI and said it was connected but it didn't go through the speakers of the car. It even muted the music playing from MY phone. She ended up having to disable the bluetooth in order to hear the person. Later during the drive we tried it again and this time made a call through her phone and it showed the caller info on the MMI but couldn't hear the person.

Calling from my phone (primary phone) everything worked fine as it should. But from the 2nd phone only the music was working through the bluetooth (nothing plugged in via USB)

Is there something i am doing wrong with having 2 phones connected?
Old 08-07-2017, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to ask, but what type of phones? iPhone or Android and if Android what version?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluaudi
So just got my A5 Sportback and been playing with all the new features and familiarizing myself with different scenarios that come up (Navigation, Bluetooth, Phone etc).

I paired my wife's phone as 2nd phone and when we got in the car this weekend and she received a call it said the name of the caller on the MMI and said it was connected but it didn't go through the speakers of the car. It even muted the music playing from MY phone. She ended up having to disable the bluetooth in order to hear the person. Later during the drive we tried it again and this time made a call through her phone and it showed the caller info on the MMI but couldn't hear the person.

Calling from my phone (primary phone) everything worked fine as it should. But from the 2nd phone only the music was working through the bluetooth (nothing plugged in via USB)

Is there something i am doing wrong with having 2 phones connected?
I don't believe so. This "just worked" for me. I do have to select "answer" when the wife's phone rings, but otherwise it seems to work OK.

The only thing I cannot figure out how to get working reliably is Waze over bluetooth, but it works when using the phone in CarPlay mode, so I've just worked around the bluetooth issue for now...
Old 08-08-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Each phone will have a bluetooth setting to select the device (i.e. phone or car) for sound playback. My guess is your wife's phone is set to the phone itself and not the car.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dereitz
I don't believe so. This "just worked" for me. I do have to select "answer" when the wife's phone rings, but otherwise it seems to work OK.

The only thing I cannot figure out how to get working reliably is Waze over bluetooth, but it works when using the phone in CarPlay mode, so I've just worked around the bluetooth issue for now...
Not sure what it is ... maybe something i over looked when connecting her phone. The thing that had me confused is the fact it was connected for sure because i saw the caller id on the MMI but yet she had to talk through the phone as the call wasn't coming through the system.

I'll play around with it some more this weekend.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Each phone will have a bluetooth setting to select the device (i.e. phone or car) for sound playback. My guess is your wife's phone is set to the phone itself and not the car.
Maybe i'll just disconnect hers all together and try adding a 'new' phone again and see what happens.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluaudi
Maybe i'll just disconnect hers all together and try adding a 'new' phone again and see what happens.
I assume her phone shows up in connection manager, correct?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dereitz
I assume her phone shows up in connection manager, correct?
Yup it shows there. As i mentioned, it has all functions, bluetooth (music) and if she makes a call from her contacts but for some reason when the call is initiated it shows the call is active and i see the name on the MMI and on the virtual display but we can't hear them. I am going to test it again tonight when i get home.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please check her phone's bluetooth settings- Samsung S6 has 2 settings under bluetooth- calls and music, both have to be enabled
Old 08-08-2017, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sraftab
Please check her phone's bluetooth settings- Samsung S6 has 2 settings under bluetooth- calls and music, both have to be enabled
That's interesting... but we both have iPhones.

Quick Reply: Multiple phone issues