Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

NJ Cracking Down On “Distracted Driving”

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
What about a Stunt Driving offense where if you are caught doing 50 kph over (31 mph) over the limit, penalty can be:
  • An immediate seizure of the vehicle involved for 7 days
  • Immediate drivers licence suspension for 7 days
  • a fine between 2,000 and 10,000 dollars
  • possible drivers licence suspension up to 2 years
  • 7 demerit points
  • Dramatic increase in insurance rates
I was referring to the NJ law, not the Canadian laws, but there is no way anything like that draconian would be implemented here, as driving laws are barely enforced.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Switzerland base their speeding fines on your wealth thus someone getting a 200,000 Euro (~$225,00 US Dollars) speeding fine or something like that. I think it made the Guinness Book for the highest speeding fine.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the number of morons I see driving around in my area who are on their cell phones, fines like these could get the national debt cut in half in less than a year. haha
Old 03-27-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
Using a navigation system

So if you are following google maps with your phone propped up on the dash in front of you, this is no good? If so, I don't see how its any worse than in dash nav.
I believe this speaks to programming the navigation system while driving, not using it to follow its directions. I'm not sure how the latter would be more distracting than a lost driver trying to read the road signs and figuring out where they need to go and not paying attention to their surroundings. Especially with touchscreens, entering destinations into the navigation system is super distracting. I continue to think that the most stupid trend in cars these days is putting touchscreens in them. Audi at least pretty much disables the touchscreen in the newer models with the latest MMI while the car is in motion, but it kinda goes to show that the touchscreen is a bad idea in the first place, and disabling it is just fixing the symptoms rather than addressing the root cause. Unfortunately even voice commands can be distracting to many people when these systems often misinterpret the input.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
It's called distracted driving and the LEO's answer to the motorist is 'Tell it to the Judge. Have a nice day."
Not in any of the Tri-State areas I travel in. I’ve seen a LEO, traveling in heavy but moving traffic look over at a driver in the car next to him and that driver is holding a phone to his ear and eating a sandwich — and the LEO Did NOTHING! I don’t know if judges are lenient on those types of tickets or what, but no one I know has ever gotten a distracted driving ticket.

Last year, when my Audi came in, I went to the dealer to pay for it so when I picked it up in 2 days all the paperwork would be done. As I was driving my RSX back home, I was sitting at a stoplight. As the light turned green, the driver behind me (early 20’s female) steps off the brake and hits my car. Bumper skin and lower air dam damaged. When the local LEO got there the woman admitted she had been texting and thought I had started to move. Result — no citation issued!

So your theory of “tell it to the judge” holds no water in this area!

— John
Old 03-27-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Not in any of the Tri-State areas I travel in. I’ve seen a LEO, traveling in heavy but moving traffic look over at a driver in the car next to him and that driver is holding a phone to his ear and eating a sandwich — and the LEO Did NOTHING! I don’t know if judges are lenient on those types of tickets or what, but no one I know has ever gotten a distracted driving ticket.

Last year, when my Audi came in, I went to the dealer to pay for it so when I picked it up in 2 days all the paperwork would be done. As I was driving my RSX back home, I was sitting at a stoplight. As the light turned green, the driver behind me (early 20’s female) steps off the brake and hits my car. Bumper skin and lower air dam damaged. When the local LEO got there the woman admitted she had been texting and thought I had started to move. Result — no citation issued!
Was she hot?
Old 03-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
Was she hot?
NO — But I Was! My RSX was 99% sold for a great price and I had to call the buyer & explain the situation. Thankfully the Acura body shop matched the paint perfectly and the sale went through — but 3 weeks later.

— John
Old 03-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 345 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I was referring to the NJ law, not the Canadian laws, but there is no way anything like that draconian would be implemented here, as driving laws are barely enforced.
I know. Just pointing out that places find a variety of ways to bring money. If it's not distracted driving, then they'll call speeding stunt or racing and slap a huge penalty.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Was she hot? ...... NO — But I Was!
LOL, to your response not your situation! I would have been steamed.