Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Ordered S5 SB! A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ordered S5 SB! A few questions

Hi everyone. Been lurking in this forum for over a year since we picked up a Q5 for my wife and I have been on that one for a while. Lease is up on my current car in a few months so decided to pull the trigger and ordered an S5 SB the other day. Had a few questions that popped up and figured I would post. I have done the searches and read, exhaustively, all of the posts on the items I could find. Just looking for a little last minute validation/info in case I want to change my order a bit and just some questions.

My build is Daytona Gray Pearl, Milano Blk interior, Prestige, Warm and Cold weather packages, Carbon Atlas, Audi Rings, All Season Tires

1. Decided to hold on the 19” tires for now as I will need to switch to all seasons for how and where I drive. I liked them but didn’t love them. If I would need to pay the upgrade cost and get new tires anyway, I’m thinking I should get a set of tires I love vs. that are just available from the factory. So I’m going with the 18” wheels. I’m also looking for a bit of a smoother ride for highway cruising since I drive a lot. Seems like the S5 is a great balance of comfort and sport when you need it (current car is an Infiniti Q50 Redsport so similar ‘concept’ but the S5 feels like so much of a step up in every way). Anyone on the 18” wheels care to chime in on ride quality?

2. Still undecided on the sport package. I believe you have to get the 19” wheels with the sport package but not sure. I’m not going to be tracking the car, really want/need the power for merging, passing and the occasional ‘putz pass’ at an annoying red light. I know that the sports diff is great for folks doing canyon carving but I’m in the burbs and drive on suburban roads and highways so I’m not sure it’s worth the cost of the upgrade. Not being cheap here, I can add it if I want, I just know that I likely won’t drop the car into dynamic all that often, if at all. On my current car, I don’t ever need to - it’s fast enough and handles well enough without needing to engage sport mode. That’s how I feel about the S5 so I decided to skip the sports package for my driving. Only problem . . . No one has a non-sports package to test drive around me so I can’t judge if the ride will be too stiff with the regular, non-adaptive suspension. The only thing I’ve been able to do is turn the adaptive to comfort but I know this isn’t the best option. Hoping to find someone without the adaptive suspension so I can try it since this is so subjective. I just want to make sure highway cruising and northeast pothole ridden roads won’t make me regret this as a cruiser. Can’t compare to the wife’s Q5 as it’s an SUV ). Still time to add the sports package if I want so trying to get some input. Again, I’ve read all of the threads already (going back to 2017) so hoping to get any new thoughts or, more importantly, some input from people who DON’T have the adaptive suspension.

3. Dumb question of the day! How are people taking care of the aluminum mirror caps on the S5? All of the cars that I’ve seen sitting on lots have water stains and looks pretty crappy. The showroom floor cars have oily fingerprints all over them. Just curious what people are doing to care for these and keep them looking good.

4. Can’t find info on the matrix LEDs with the Prestige package. It’s unclear to me if they are adaptive/move with the steering wheel (which I don’t believe is the case based on my research) or if another light aids when making a turn (like on my wife’s Q5 - which is ‘ok’). No deal breaker just curious what the actual setup is in the S5 Prestige.

5. MMI and CarPlay questions - on my wife’s Q5, every once in a while, the MMI will randomly reset and CarPlay gets a bit wonky. How reliable are people finding CarPlay in the 19 S5? also, I’m not sure about the wireless charging box since I’ll likely get a ProClip mount to use CarPlay but if the phone is plugged in, do you still get the ‘antennae boost’ effect of the Audi phone box?

Thanks in advance everyone! We have loved my wife’s Q5 for over a year now, first Audi. I really think the S5 is one of the nicest looking cars on the road today and I’m excited to get it. Thanks to everyone for all of your posts. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s opinions good and bad - it has helped me greatly with my decision.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You will really benefit from Summers and Winters IMO.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

A few comments:

1) Unless your area has terrible potholes, I would go for the 19" wheels. The ride with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension is quite compliant, far more so than my previous B8 A4 with fixed sport suspension and 19" wheels, and the car looks so much better than with 18" wheels. Part of the reason for buying the S5 over the S4 is aesthetics and the car looks entirely out of proportion with 18" wheels.

2) I skipped both the Warm and Cold Weather packages because the cold weather package deletes the flat bottom steering wheel and the warm weather package removes the Super Sport seats and limits seat color to black. Even in Dallas (100F in the summer), the Super Sport seats and choice of interior color were far more important to me than the ventilated seats.

3) If you can fit it into your budget, get the S Sport Package. The adaptive suspension will make your daily commute more pleasant and on the rare occasions you can push the car, the feeling of the rear wheels pushing the front of the car through a tight turn provided by the Sport Differential is more than worth it. This package is one of the most significant differentiators between the S5 and A5, and without it, it would be difficult for me to argue that the S5 is the better overall package.

4) I am pretty sure Matrix LEDs were just recently approved by the US DOT, but are not available on the B9 in the US.

Last edited by JD15; 05-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I have 18" wheels and the sports package.

My B8 S4 has 19" wheels though and despite giving up a little in the looks department, I was determined not to go through the hell of constantly replacing damaged tires caused by NJ's pothole cratered roads. The B8 also did not have the sports diff, and the first time I took a corner with some decent speed in the S5 I was *shocked* at how well the sports diff helped the car turn. I've since gotten use to the sensation now, and though I would never say it's a mandatory feature, it's one that really makes the car feel special. The adaptive suspension is also subtle, but it's nice to be able to switch it to comfort and get a more relaxing ride.

For the mirror caps, About every other wash I hit them with a little Maguires polish. Other than that, wash and wax like the rest of the car.

Audroid Auto occasionally acts a little buggy, but I suspect that's as much the fault of the phone as it is the MMI.

Last edited by njspeedfreak; 05-11-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audibonkers
You will really benefit from Summers and Winters IMO.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2019, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
A few comments:

1) Unless your area has terrible potholes, I would go for the 19" wheels. The ride with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension is quite compliant, far more so than my previous B8 A4 with fixed sport suspension and 19" wheels, and the car looks so much better than with 18" wheels. Part of the reason for buying the S5 over the S4 is aesthetics and the car looks entirely out of proportion with 18" wheels.

2) I skipped both the Warm and Cold Weather packages because the cold weather package deletes the flat bottom steering wheel and the warm weather package removes the Super Sport seats and limits seat color to black. Even in Dallas (100F in the summer), the Super Sport seats and choice of interior color were far more important to me than the ventilated seats.

3) If you can fit it into your budget, get the S Sport Package. The adaptive suspension will make your daily commute more pleasant and on the rare occasions you can push the car, the feeling of the rear wheels pushing the front of the car through a tight turn provided by the Sport Differential is more than worth it. This package is one of the most significant differentiators between the S5 and A5, and without it, it would be difficult for me to argue that the S5 is the better overall package.

4) I am pretty sure Matrix LEDs were just recently approved by the US DOT, but are not available on the B9 in the US.
Thanks for the feedback. yeah, we have some pretty bad roads around here. I’m going to test drive a SB without the sports package/adaptive suspension and see how it feels with the 18’s on Monday. I’m ok with the black interior. We have the sport seats with ventilation on our Q5 and I turned up the fan speed in OBDEleven so they work pretty well now. I use the ventilated seats with the heated seats simultaneously all the time.

I think the matrix LEDs is a marketing ploy right now. I believe they are listed as matrix but have the programming turned off - not sure if that will be able to be coded to work once the DOT approves the ‘true’ matrix function. I was more trying to find out if there are cornering lights or adaptive/bending lights with the Prestige headlights. I think the Q5 uses the DTRL for cornering light assistance. Was just curious about the Prestige S5 lights.

Thanks again for your input!
Th
Old 05-11-2019, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I have 18" wheels and the sports package.

My B8 S4 has 19" wheels though and despite giving up a little in the looks department, I was determined not to go through the hell of constantly replacing damaged tires caused by NJ's pothole cratered roads. The B8 also did not have the sports diff, and the first time I took a corner with some decent speed in the S5 I was *shocked* at how well the sports diff helped the car turn. I've since gotten use to the sensation now, and though I would never say it's a mandatory feature, it's one that really makes the car feel special. The adaptive suspension is also subtle, but it's nice to be able to switch it to comfort and get a more relaxing ride.

For the mirror caps, About every other wash I hit them with a little Maguires polish. Other than that, wash and wax like the rest of the car.

Audroid Auto occasionally acts a little buggy, but I suspect that's as much the fault of the phone as it is the MMI.
Interesting. The sales guy at the dealership said he ‘thought’ you couldn’t do the sport package with the 18’s as the wheels were too small to fit the red calipers. That was the first I had heard that but glad to hear that’s not the case. I’ve been through way too many low profile wheels with scrapes and chunks taken out. I’d like a little more cushion to avoid that.

glad to hear the mirror caps aren’t too hard to keep looking good.

Regarding MMI/CarPlay - I suspect it’s probably 50/50 between the phone and MMI myself. It’s just that it usually bugs out on me when i need it most to enter an address and get on the road. it’s not horrible by any means, just wanted to see what others were experiencing.

Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by audijk
I was more trying to find out if there are cornering lights or adaptive/bending lights with the Prestige headlights. I think the Q5 uses the DTRL for cornering light assistance. Was just curious about the Prestige S5 lights.
It uses the dedicated cornering lights built into the LED assembly. I don't find them all that effective, but then again, on my B8 S4 I didn't really find the bending adaptive lights all that great either.

18's fit just fine over the brake calipers. I also have an aftermarket set with winter tires and they fit fine as well.

Interior lighting is where the Prestige package really shines - with the ability to customize the inside colors of the doors and footwell. But for me the best feature of the Prestige is the HUD. It's a real game changer to have the speed displayed on the windshield and in my line of sight of the road ahead. I don't think I can ever go back to looking down at the dash console again.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by audijk
Thanks for the feedback. yeah, we have some pretty bad roads around here. I’m going to test drive a SB without the sports package/adaptive suspension and see how it feels with the 18’s on Monday. I’m ok with the black interior. We have the sport seats with ventilation on our Q5 and I turned up the fan speed in OBDEleven so they work pretty well now. I use the ventilated seats with the heated seats simultaneously all the time.

I think the matrix LEDs is a marketing ploy right now. I believe they are listed as matrix but have the programming turned off - not sure if that will be able to be coded to work once the DOT approves the ‘true’ matrix function. I was more trying to find out if there are cornering lights or adaptive/bending lights with the Prestige headlights. I think the Q5 uses the DTRL for cornering light assistance. Was just curious about the Prestige S5 lights.

Thanks again for your input!
Th
If 19s won't work on your roads, the 18s and S Sport Package will be a good combination. I can imagine that the 18s with the suspension set to comfort mode will be extremely compliant, as it is already comfortable with 19s. Although the roads in Dallas aren't as bad as in the northeast, I avoided the Black Optic package with its mandatory 20" wheels because of concern about potholes.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
It uses the dedicated cornering lights built into the LED assembly. I don't find them all that effective, but then again, on my B8 S4 I didn't really find the bending adaptive lights all that great either.

18's fit just fine over the brake calipers. I also have an aftermarket set with winter tires and they fit fine as well.

Interior lighting is where the Prestige package really shines - with the ability to customize the inside colors of the doors and footwell. But for me the best feature of the Prestige is the HUD. It's a real game changer to have the speed displayed on the windshield and in my line of sight of the road ahead. I don't think I can ever go back to looking down at the dash console again.
Good to know the 18’s work. Now to decide on the sports pkg. . .test drive Monday. . .

Agree on the Prestige - the HUD is a must have for me after driving the Q5 with it. I also use the DAP quite a bit when we go up to NYC. The traffic jam assist works pretty well. Not perfect but the whole system takes a lot of the fatigue out of driving long distances for sure.

I thought I would play with the light colors a little more but my wife just likes them set to dim and boring white. Not sure how much I’ll tweak them in my S5 but I guess we’ll see. I can see adjusting them while passing time on longer drives.

Quick question on the lighting. In some of the Audi stock photos,it shows a light along the bottom of the center console by the driver & passenger knees. I don’t remember seeing that during a test drive but it wasn’t really dark enough to see any of the lighting. Is the center console strip light only on the cohoe or on the SB as well?

Thanks again!

Last edited by audijk; 05-12-2019 at 03:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Ordered S5 SB! A few questions