Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Paint pretection question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint pretection question

I am considering XPEL clear bra being installed immediately after taking delivery of a new A5 Cabriolet. I’ve never used paint protection. My first inclination is to have the entire hood and front fenders protected. However, I have a concern with this: will one be able to detect a difference between the parts of the car protected by the clear bra (obviously, most of the front) and the rest of the car? If detectable, maybe that’s not such a great look. It’s a lot less expensive to just install the clear bra paint protection on the front bumper and a small strip of the hood. In my experience, those are the parts of the car that really need it. I realize there is a line that is noticeable on the hood in that case. But maybe that’s preferable to the alternative. For those with paint protection, what do you think?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sanfordrich
I am considering XPEL clear bra being installed immediately after taking delivery of a new A5 Cabriolet. I’ve never used paint protection. My first inclination is to have the entire hood and front fenders protected. However, I have a concern with this: will one be able to detect a difference between the parts of the car protected by the clear bra (obviously, most of the front) and the rest of the car? If detectable, maybe that’s not such a great look. It’s a lot less expensive to just install the clear bra paint protection on the front bumper and a small strip of the hood. In my experience, those are the parts of the car that really need it. I realize there is a line that is noticeable on the hood in that case. But maybe that’s preferable to the alternative. For those with paint protection, what do you think?
A little dependent upon the colour of your A5, but if you do the full front as you indicated, you won’t really notice it because the installer should wrap the hood. You may see a slight line on a pillars, if you get that done (I did and can see the line, but it doesn’t look bad nor can really anyone see it). I had SunTek installed on mine, followed by gTechniq ceramic 2 months later. I don’t regret either and I look forward to a great looking front end, free from paint dings, for as long as I have the car.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

A little dependent upon the colour of your A5, but if you do the full front as you indicated, you won’t really notice it because the installer should wrap the hood. You may see a slight line on a pillars, if you get that done (I did and can see the line, but it doesn’t look bad nor can really anyone see it). I had SunTek installed on mine, followed by gTechniq ceramic 2 months later. I don’t regret either and I look forward to a great looking front end, free from paint dings, for as long as I have the car.
It's the Audi navarra blue metallic. So if in addition to the full hood, the area around the front wheels is protected (I guess, full front fenders) , but the doors are not, will that difference look obvious and maybe not so good?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

It's the Audi navarra blue metallic. So if in addition to the full hood, the area around the front wheels is protected (I guess, full front fenders) , but the doors are not, will that difference look obvious and maybe not so good?
I only have PPF on the front bumper and full hood. If done properly, you really have to look close to see where there is or is not PPF, and that assumes the edges of the PPF are showing. It has been mentioned by some who did not do PPF on the hood, the ease of the paint chips on the hood. Combination of paint quality and aerodynamics of the front of the car being the root cause. I would not recommend a partial front hood. While that edge will be tough to see when the car is clean, as the car gets even mildly dusty, two distinct patterns of dirt will form making the partial PPF stick out like a sore thumb.

I have a long gravel driveway, and I don't have any paint chips on the non-protected fenders or doors.

If I had experience with a ceramic coater in my area, I might have done that. Applying liquid wax 2x a year doesn't take long at all and works for me.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Yeah +1 on doing a full hood vs. partial. It shouldn't look any different from the rest of the car. I have full hood and front bumpers. I have never gotten fenders done on any of my cars and never had an issue.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I only have PPF on the front bumper and full hood. If done properly, you really have to look close to see where there is or is not PPF, and that assumes the edges of the PPF are showing. It has been mentioned by some who did not do PPF on the hood, the ease of the paint chips on the hood. Combination of paint quality and aerodynamics of the front of the car being the root cause. I would not recommend a partial front hood. While that edge will be tough to see when the car is clean, as the car gets even mildly dusty, two distinct patterns of dirt will form making the partial PPF stick out like a sore thumb.

I have a long gravel driveway, and I don't have any paint chips on the non-protected fenders or doors.

If I had experience with a ceramic coater in my area, I might have done that. Applying liquid wax 2x a year doesn't take long at all and works for me.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the best approach is doing the full hood and bumper but not the frond fenders like you suggest. That way one looking down the side doesn't notice the difference between the fender and the rest of the side of the car. The shop I plan to use has a package that includes the front bumper, full hood and full front fenders. I could probably get a discount if I didn't get the fenders done and it sounds like some of you don't think it is necessary to do the fenders. Never the less, I wonder if anyone out there has done their front fenders but not the remaining sides of the car. Are you happy with the look? I realize this is getting a little picky, but it's an expensive job, so I don't want regrets if I can avoid it.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a car in Navaro Blue, and xpel full hood, full paint on front end, lights, mirrors, a-pillars, door sills, and rear bumper where hatch opening is. You can't see it in those places. You can only see it, if you're looking hard for it, on the top of the pillar and where it ends on the sides of the front fenders, as I only did it part way there, to the furthest out point.

Last edited by Tundraman; 01-12-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the best approach is doing the full hood and bumper but not the frond fenders like you suggest. That way one looking down the side doesn't notice the difference between the fender and the rest of the side of the car. The shop I plan to use has a package that includes the front bumper, full hood and full front fenders. I could probably get a discount if I didn't get the fenders done and it sounds like some of you don't think it is necessary to do the fenders. Never the less, I wonder if anyone out there has done their front fenders but not the remaining sides of the car. Are you happy with the look? I realize this is getting a little picky, but it's an expensive job, so I don't want regrets if I can avoid it.
I did front fenders as well. No you can’t see it either because it’s wraped around the edge. Also did the trunk lip. Find a shop you like and go in and take a look at their work, talk to the tech, etc. I found in my search that all were very open to discussing and understood the decisions being made
Old 01-12-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

We have had XPEL installed on all of our new Audi's (2 with Glacier Metallic White, 1 Scuba Blue) and would not hesitate to do it again. After a 2K mile roadtrip in our Scuba Blue Q5, you could see where a couple signifcant impacts were made on the XPEL but nothing got through (i.e. no doubt that the paint would have been chipped without it).
Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have PPF on the front bumper, rear view mirrors, top of rear bumper, edge of front fenders, and the full hood. Looks great if I say so myself.

Quick Reply: Paint pretection question