Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

From port to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts
Default From port to dealer

How long does it usually take for a car to move from the port to the dealer, usually? My car arrived at the port last Friday.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you and your dealer located? There are 5 drop-off ports in the US: Davisville RI, Jacksonville, Florida, Houston TX, San Diego CA, and San Francisco CA. Drop offs at RI, FL, TX are more frequent than the drop-off locations in CA.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Unfortunately there are so many variables it makes it hard to answer. The first question is how close you are to the port. If you are close it will be picked up by truck and delivered to your dealer. If you are far away, the car can either be picked up by a transport truck if your dealer had the unit marked as a sold unit with priority delivery, or it could be shipped out by rail to a local depot near your dealer where it will be picked up by truck and delivered to your dealer.

So with all that said, the bottom line is your delivery from port could take anywhere from 2 days to 20 days. A lot will depend on how soon it actually leaves the port and what method of transport is being used to get the car to your dealer. The biggest question usually is how long it sits at the port before starting it's journey to your dealer.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Unfortunately there are so many variables it makes it hard to answer. The first question is how close you are to the port. If you are close it will be picked up by truck and delivered to your dealer. If you are far away, the car can either be picked up by a transport truck if your dealer had the unit marked as a sold unit with priority delivery, or it could be shipped out by rail to a local depot near your dealer where it will be picked up by truck and delivered to your dealer.

So with all that said, the bottom line is your delivery from port could take anywhere from 2 days to 20 days. A lot will depend on how soon it actually leaves the port and what method of transport is being used to get the car to your dealer. The biggest question usually is how long it sits at the port before starting it's journey to your dealer.

The Baltimore port is about an hour away from me. It's a drive down 95. It sounds like it really just depends on when it gets picked up by the trucking company?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
Where are you and your dealer located? There are 5 drop-off ports in the US: Davisville RI, Jacksonville, Florida, Houston TX, San Diego CA, and San Francisco CA. Drop offs at RI, FL, TX are more frequent than the drop-off locations in CA.
Isn't their a port in Baltimore? I'm in Maryland.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
Isn't their a port in Baltimore? I'm in Maryland.
Audi/VW only uses the 5 ports the previous guy posted. Your car is coming from Davisville.
The PWL Group
Go to that website. Under Liner Schedules on the right, select US West- and East Coast and then select Volkswagen Export. You can see the eta schedules of each ship to each port and stuff
Old 12-06-2017, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I would expect the car to take 3-5 days in port for inspection, customs clearance and installation of port installed options. From there it can be another 3-5 days to get on a truck and probably 2-3 days from Rhode Island to you dealer in Maryland.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car hit davisville on thanksgiving and even with the holiday my car was at the dealer in NH Tuesday. I then picked it up on Thursday so with the holiday it was one week to clear customs, truck it up to NH and complete dealer prep.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
I would expect the car to take 3-5 days in port for inspection, customs clearance and installation of port installed options. From there it can be another 3-5 days to get on a truck and probably 2-3 days from Rhode Island to you dealer in Maryland.
Thank you for the input, everyone! Sounds like it should take about a week or two. First time ordering an Audi, and I'm not very knowledgeable on the process. I've ordered multiple BMW's which have all come to the Baltimore port. Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Technically the port in Northern California is Benicia, not San Francisco...but close! That's where my car is headed or has already arrived, I can't seem to track it completely, it was to be loaded on the Galveston Highway on 11/17.

Quick Reply: From port to dealer