Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Post your favorite drive select settings!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default well...

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Not to mention those preference can change over time, sometimes quite quickly. When I first got the S5 I drove with the suspension in Dynamic. The stiff ride was what I excepted from a performance car and it was what I was used to coming out of my S4 without the adjustable suspension. But as I played around with different modes I begin to realize that car handled corners almost as well in Comfort mode and that also took away a lot of the harsh ride from the **** poor NJ roads. Now I have the suspension set to Comfort almost exclusively.
If I'm going to drive into the steel area in East Hamilton, or drive through Michigan my suspension will be in Comfort mode to save my tires - and even wheels. But I think the commonality here is that those of us who use Individual mode are trying to optimize the car for individual enjoyment given our normal driving conditions.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my programmable steering wheel button (right side spoke, near the audio controls) to toggle between Drive Select settings. Makes it easy to switch modes on the fly without fumbling for a center dash console button.
The following users liked this post:
theroider (07-12-2020)
Old 05-06-2018, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hevnsnt
I just got my S5, and have not put any real time in it yet. Honestly, I have about 10miles in it so far -- so I have a lot of learning to do. I have a question about Dynamic Steering: If I put Dynamic Steering into Dynamic mode, does that mean that I am not using Dynamic Steering? I thought I read somewhere that Dynamic mode meant that Dynamic Steering stays at a constant turn rate... What about Sport Diff?
Dynamic mode means the steering ratio is constant, but it is a bit more direct than the standard steering. It makes ordering the dynamic steering a "no-brainer" IMO. If you find you don't like the variable ratio (but I absolutely do) then just leave it in dynamic via dynamic or individual drive modes.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

As an "Owner In Waiting" who has read every thread on this board - especially the ones that talk about "throttle lag" - I especially appreciate this thread, where people who have the S5 have taken the time to explain the settings that they enjoy. It will certainly give me guidance when my S5 arrives.

A Thank You to everyone!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree Nikon1! Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Nikon1
As an "Owner In Waiting" who has read every thread on this board - especially the ones that talk about "throttle lag" - I especially appreciate this thread, where people who have the S5 have taken the time to explain the settings that they enjoy. It will certainly give me guidance when my S5 arrives.

A Thank You to everyone!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The thing is this depends on which model you are asking about. Very different for an A5 vs an RS5. For example, I'm currently driving an A5 SB loaner as my RS5 is getting the gear selector sensor replaced. I have it set to Dynamic and I go between D, S, M, Sport M depending on the situation, but neither transmission mode is truly satisfying on this thing. Driving an A5 in Dynamic mode is about like driving my RS5 in Comfort mode. It just doesn't compare. As for my RS5, I drive in Individual mode most of the time. Everything in Auto, except sport differential in Dynamic and then same thing as far as the transmission is concerned. Gong between D, S, M and Sport M depending on mood and situation, but here S and Sport M are properly sporty. I also make much more use of the different modes because they actually make a real difference in RS models. Comfort I use for long distance highway journeys, Dynamic for when I hit up the canyons or other fun roads and otherwise Individual. In case of the A5 SB, Comfort and Auto are pretty much useless to me. Even in Dynamic the car is still too soft for my taste.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

At first I was reluctant to try Auto, but after several months I realized that it (auto everything except engine sound set in comfort as I don’t particularly like the droney sound dynamic makes) works the best for me and my s5 coupè
Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know why the Individual settings are not saving for me?
I change the transmission to Dynamic, but once I turn off the car everything resets to Auto.
Thanks..
Old 05-16-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by duhg
Does anyone know why the Individual settings are not saving for me?
I change the transmission to Dynamic, but once I turn off the car everything resets to Auto.
Thanks..
This has been explained many times in other threads. The engine/transmission won't ever stay in Dynamic between engine restarts. That's by design and it's due to EPA regulations and such. The regulations require that the car starts up in the mode that yields the rated fuel economy. Steering, suspension etc. will stay in whatever mode you had it in, but the engine and transmission will always go back to comfort/auto. You have to pull back on the shifter to put the transmission back into S, so setting engine/transmission to Dynamic in Individual mode is kinda pointless if you leave the car in Individual mode. It will always require to explicitly put the transmission into S after starting the engine. Individual mode is great to configure everything else to your liking, but just leave engine/transmission set to Auto and then toggle between D/S using the shift lever.
The following users liked this post:
theroider (07-12-2020)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, that makes sense.
I searched on this forum but must not have used the right key words. My Google-fu needs work!

Quick Reply: Post your favorite drive select settings!