Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Quantum vs. Nardo

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Facebook Post
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I went to the dealer looking to buy a Mythos Black Metallic A5 and left with Monsoon Grey Metallic. I guess it just dazzled me. My Q5 is Brilliant Black (flat) and I will never own that colour again. It has swirl marks galore and is difficult to hide problems, unlike a metallic paint. I know the “grey” family is lighter and easier to hide those type of issues, but I’m a little gun shy on wanting to ever own a flat paint again (yes yes PPF and ceramic will help) - specially given how soft Audi paint is now that it’s water based vs enamel.

Last edited by arrtewwx; 01-15-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Both Quantum and Nardo are solid paint colors. No metallic.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for posting that! I have an Audi exclusive S5 in Nardo and good to see it is actually fairly different than the Quantum Gray. Quantum is really nice as well though. Damn, that Nardo RS5 SB looks good. But I can't swing that. The fully loaded S5 Prestige with ABT Power Module will have to do lol.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony M
I .......I couldn't understand why they called it pearl instead of simply metallic as that's what it looked like to me......... But, when the light is just right it's unmistakable and I suspect the distinctive qualities affect appreciation of the color and paint quality even when the actual pearlescence being different to metallic isn't so obvious.
Daytona Grey Pearl certainly is not just a "metallic color". My R8 is this color, and in the sun you will note it's not just "glitter-like" but actually has "multi-colors" and a paint depth unlike metallic. Here is why:

METALLIC uses very small flakes of aluminum to give the car an obvious sparkle. These aluminum flakes are relatively uniform in size and are evenly mixed with the paint itself, giving the car a shine that does not change color when looked at from a different angle. These metal flakes act like tiny dots of mirrors spread evenly on the car

PEARL uses small flakes of mica, a synthetic material that resembles the sheen of a natural pearl. The mica particles are also the same in size and mixed with the base paint. The shade of the color of the car will appear to change when you look at it from different perspectives. This gives an illusion of shaded and illuminated areas depending on the amount of light it gets. The mica particles found in pearl car paints do not reflect light. Instead, the mica flakes let light pass through them and then they are refracted evenly throughout the car’s surface. Unlike the metallic flakes, these mica specks act like very small prisms that refract white light into different shades.

Matte, metallic, solid, pearl.....for all of the grief I give Audi over 10 shades of black/grey/silver, I must give credit that they offer a variety of "paint finishes" not every manufacturer does. Hopefully this clarifies why pearl paints offer such a special glow in the bright sun that really makes them unique shades.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Hopefully this clarifies why pearl paints offer such a special glow in the bright sun that really makes them unique shades.
Yes it does - and thank you for posting it.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:39 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Thank You, farmerjones, for that explanation. In an earlier post I called my Daytona Gray Pearl a “metal flake” finish. I now know what those flakes are made from and why it changes shades as it does.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Matte, metallic, solid, pearl.....for all of the grief I give Audi over 10 shades of black/grey/silver, I must give credit that they offer a variety of "paint finishes" not every manufacturer does. Hopefully this clarifies why pearl paints offer such a special glow in the bright sun that really makes them unique shades.
There is also the crystal effect paints like Ara Blue....its hard to describe till you see one under the sun, takes metallic to another level!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The pearl effect paints certainly have a depth and complexity that flat and even metallic paints do not possess. Daytona Gray has always been one of my two favorite Audi colors and I am glad that I was able to order it without paying the massive Audi Exclusive surcharge.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

When you put them side by side, Nardo looks much better in my opinion. The lightness makes it pop much more.

Quick Reply: Quantum vs. Nardo