Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Question regarding negotiating for new A/S 5 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding negotiating for new A/S 5 purchase

So i have tested giuli base model (conveniently all premium models "have no gas"), stinger gt2, rdx, A & S 5, Eclass with G70 TBD. I feel my hunt for next car is coming to an end.
I have some questions about negotiating for a deal on a new A/S5 (still undecided which one, but the tactics should probably work both ways?) so when i decide to get one i can go in prepared. Since Audi is more of a luxury brand, i figure the negotiation tactics may be different than kia/hyundai.

Some background info:
Ripped off one time - Was going to sign with dealer 2. Called dealer 1 to thank them for their time but they made great counteroffer. Went to dealer 1, the car they offered me had to be repainted and they would charge me basically the amount the "beat" dealer 2 by. Ended up selling me the other car at stcker - i was stranded 7pm 120 miles away from home with no one to come in a rural area so i paid...So if i do sound like i am taking advantage of the dealer, you know where i am coming from..

Also, i have not been negotiating with a dealer for 13 years (current car got craiglist).

Dealerships in my area - I live in NV/MD/DC area, there are at least 6 AUDI dealerships in 30 mile radius, and many "import car dealerships" to count. There is an Audi volume dealer nearby - supposed to be number 3 in the country as Audi volume dealer...

Goal: goal is to find a great deal but recognize I am not going to lowball the dealer. But I will definitely be more cautious this time and will walk to another dealer if i dont like the deal. I am not sure if it is good to do a "round robin negotiation" across all 6 to get the best deal though.
Tactic: (Been out of this a while and am only using some of the recent research i have done so please be gentle )
1. Create 2 "inventory list" for A and S 5 sportbacks, sorting by dealer location and desire of model and amenities. At a minimum it should be prestige with navigation and drive assistance. Have not decided on ventilated seats or not (it is very rare to see S wit it though...).
2. Go to dealer with the car i want the most, in terms of a tie i would go to the bigger place with more substitute choices i want.
3. Go in with my "final offer". Basically for price i take account of the research i done of the price through truecar, edmunds etc. Taking consideration of the invoice price - the rebates/incentives and leave some for dealer profit. For german cars i am really cautious about warranty. I want my offer to bundle with extended warranty (i think 7 yrs/100k?) and additional free audicare package. I will offer to pay in full on day of, no need to do financing stuff and extend my hand.
4. Now if they laugh it off or starts to up the price I will write down the offer they gave and walk (unless it is something minor). I would use 3 on the next dealer on my list.
5. If i failed at all 6 places i will just chill for a week and wait for a call - if no call comes there will be a depressing thread created here (JK).

I read an article how there should be multiple rounds of negotiation where you try to nitpick how the model doesn't have XYZ so your price is lowered. I don't want to go into that detail unless i really dont find "the car" from any of the places.

Any comments on my strategy? I am not sure if it is smart/dumb to show my hand the first round of negotiation and if sales people are trained to force their way up from my "final offer" . Or maybe i should reduce my Final offer by a bit and have them work their way back to my final offer?

Thank you so much!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No need to make it so complicated, first decide on a color and options you want, you should have a back up color and prioritize your options. Next, find a car with the color and options you want at your local dealer. Go to Edmunds and find the dealer's offer and offer them $1000 below that and have them throw in the free Audicare. Be prepare to walk away and try another dealer. Keep in mind that local dealers usually do not trade cars with each other so you might have to settle for another color or forego an option. You can also try to start lower and offer them $2000 below Edmunds dealer's offer but sometimes that just prolong the negotiation and eventually come to the same price. As far as not taking out a loan, that will actually work against you since the dealer get a cut from the bank for securing a loan for them. You can buy extended warranty from FD-Warranty at a 20% discount. It is a genuine Audi factory warranty offered at a discount, I have use them before, ask for Troy. Keep in mind that all dealers have a rock bottom price in their head, you just have to come as close as possible to it. They will not sell you a car and lose money despite of what they claim. Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shaselai
So i have tested giuli base model (conveniently all premium models "have no gas"), stinger gt2, rdx, A & S 5, Eclass with G70 TBD. I feel my hunt for next car is coming to an end.
I have some questions about negotiating for a deal on a new A/S5 (still undecided which one, but the tactics should probably work both ways?) so when i decide to get one i can go in prepared. Since Audi is more of a luxury brand, i figure the negotiation tactics may be different than kia/hyundai.

Some background info:
Ripped off one time - Was going to sign with dealer 2. Called dealer 1 to thank them for their time but they made great counteroffer. Went to dealer 1, the car they offered me had to be repainted and they would charge me basically the amount the "beat" dealer 2 by. Ended up selling me the other car at stcker - i was stranded 7pm 120 miles away from home with no one to come in a rural area so i paid...So if i do sound like i am taking advantage of the dealer, you know where i am coming from..

Also, i have not been negotiating with a dealer for 13 years (current car got craiglist).

Dealerships in my area - I live in NV/MD/DC area, there are at least 6 AUDI dealerships in 30 mile radius, and many "import car dealerships" to count. There is an Audi volume dealer nearby - supposed to be number 3 in the country as Audi volume dealer...

Goal: goal is to find a great deal but recognize I am not going to lowball the dealer. But I will definitely be more cautious this time and will walk to another dealer if i dont like the deal. I am not sure if it is good to do a "round robin negotiation" across all 6 to get the best deal though.
Tactic: (Been out of this a while and am only using some of the recent research i have done so please be gentle )
1. Create 2 "inventory list" for A and S 5 sportbacks, sorting by dealer location and desire of model and amenities. At a minimum it should be prestige with navigation and drive assistance. Have not decided on ventilated seats or not (it is very rare to see S wit it though...).
2. Go to dealer with the car i want the most, in terms of a tie i would go to the bigger place with more substitute choices i want.
3. Go in with my "final offer". Basically for price i take account of the research i done of the price through truecar, edmunds etc. Taking consideration of the invoice price - the rebates/incentives and leave some for dealer profit. For german cars i am really cautious about warranty. I want my offer to bundle with extended warranty (i think 7 yrs/100k?) and additional free audicare package. I will offer to pay in full on day of, no need to do financing stuff and extend my hand.
4. Now if they laugh it off or starts to up the price I will write down the offer they gave and walk (unless it is something minor). I would use 3 on the next dealer on my list.
5. If i failed at all 6 places i will just chill for a week and wait for a call - if no call comes there will be a depressing thread created here (JK).

I read an article how there should be multiple rounds of negotiation where you try to nitpick how the model doesn't have XYZ so your price is lowered. I don't want to go into that detail unless i really dont find "the car" from any of the places.

Any comments on my strategy? I am not sure if it is smart/dumb to show my hand the first round of negotiation and if sales people are trained to force their way up from my "final offer" . Or maybe i should reduce my Final offer by a bit and have them work their way back to my final offer?

Thank you so much!
My advice is:

#1 - Go to a dealer that is conveniently located -- unless the one that passes that test has a bad reputation -- and order the EXACT car you want. You will very likely be able to get the car at the lowest possible price.

#2 - If you're not already a member of the Audi Club of North America, join. This, then, becomes step #1. If you're not already a member, ignore step #1 -- wait for 91 days (then, on day 92 order the new car).

You should be able to get a minimum of 6% off of almost any Audi -- the one that you are looking at is likely to be discounted that much (or a little more). An ordered car has the lowest cost for the dealer -- it is possible then to get the best deal.

Make sure you at least let the dealer have a chance to finance the car -- if they are given this chance, they may be able to bump the discount up. Of course, if you can beat the dealer's finance numbers by at least .5%, well, you may want to consider doing things that way.

Ordered cars, unless they are "purple squirrels" should not require any money down.

Patience is a virtue -- don't buy one off the lot.

If you order a car, it will be a 2019.

From reading your post, it is possible to see that you haven't shopped for a new car at a new car dealer (for some time) -- you need to chill out a bit.

Order the car -- you'll probably be happier.

My $.02.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 08-06-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
My advice is:

#1 - Go to a dealer that is conveniently located -- unless the one that passes that test has a bad reputation -- and order the EXACT car you want. You will very likely be able to get the car at the lowest possible price.

#2 - If you're not already a member of the Audi Club of North America, join. This, then, becomes step #1. If you're not already a member, ignore step #1 -- wait for 91 days.

You should be able to get a minimum of 6% off of almost any Audi -- the one that you are looking at is likely to be discounted that much (or a little more). An ordered car has the lowest cost for the dealer -- it is possible then to get the best deal.

Make sure you at least let the dealer have a chance to finance the car -- if they are given this chance, they may be able to bump the discount up. Of course, if you can beat the dealer's finance numbers by at least .5%, well, you may want to consider doing things that way.

Ordered cars, unless they are "purple squirrels" should not require any money down.

Patience is a virtue -- don't buy one off the lot.

If you order a car, it will be a 2019.

From reading your post, it is possible to see that you haven't shopped for a new car at a new car dealer (for some time) -- you need to chill out a bit.

Order the car -- you'll probably be happier.

My $.02.
First time hearing about Audi Club. What are the benefits to becoming a member?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
First time hearing about Audi Club. What are the benefits to becoming a member?
https://audiclubna.org/join/
Old 08-06-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
Doesn't seem worth it.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Like the guy said, chill

Go to most convenient dealer. If it helps, Chantilly Audi has good roads near it for test rides.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:47 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Doesn't seem worth it.
And the fine print says:

*At participating dealers, you will be able to purchase or lease select new MY16, MY17 and MY18 Audi models at 6% below MSRP (excluding TTRS, RS3 , RS5, RS7, A5 Sportback, S5 Sportback, Audi Q7 3.0T, A8, W12, S8 Plus and R8). Contact your dealer prior to purchase to confirm their participation in the program
Old 08-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The audiclub is nice with the exception of the fine print : *At participating dealers, you will be able to purchase or lease select new MY16, MY17 and MY18 Audi models at 6% below MSRP (excluding TTRS, RS3 , RS5, RS7, A5 Sportback, S5 Sportback, Audi Q7 3.0T, A8, W12, S8 Plus and R8). Contact your dealer prior to purchase to confirm their participation in the program

My coworker actually suggested me to ask 2k below edmunds and have them throw in Free Audi care, Audi select care and platinum warranty. He say this way i *should* have a peace of mind till 100k miles. I took a look and that's basically 3kish worth of stuff. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask does it?

I also researched BMW 5 and Eclass (since latest redesign). Those were nice but used is out of question since none of them have the driver assist package (Premium 3 or collection of 3 bmw packages). For almost bareboned used BMW5 or Eclass I can have a souped up A/S 5 or genesis g70 (verdict still out there)..... I took out stinger because it is a Kia.... At least Genesis is separating from Hyundai and in a couple years not many would associate the two. But I still love the A/S though!
Old 08-06-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Just email all the dealers nearby and ask for 10-12% off, if you find one that will do it then use them. Agree on a price before you go to the dealer.

And as many have said, chill out... This is not complex.

Quick Reply: Question regarding negotiating for new A/S 5 purchase