Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Questions while I wait for my 18 S5 Coupe to get here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Questions while I wait for my 18 S5 Coupe to get here.

As I wait on my 2018 S5 Coupe to get here in late December, I had a couple of questions that I was hoping I could get some answers.

1. Does the 2018 S5 come with traffic info for four years or six months?

2. How much would it cost to make the front turns signals 'Dynamic' and sweep like the rear ones? Would it require changing out the entire front headlight assembly?

3. I ordered Dynamic Steering. I have never ordered or had a variable ratio steering system because of how unpredictable they are and the fact that variable ratios when you're driving on a track or in a spirited manner is a bad idea. I had read good reviews about the system, basically saying it provided a bit more heft to the wheel. Thoughts?

4. Who else has told their dealer to not wash the car before they take delivery?

Your time is appreciated.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-07-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
As I wait on my 2018 S5 Coupe to get here in late December, I had a couple of questions that I was hoping I could get some answers.

4. Who else has told their dealer to not wash the car before they take delivery?

Your time is appreciated.
Congrats and I hope it arrives quickly. I dont' have a good answer for 1-3. I do have a point of view on 4. Some background... My last two BMW's were black. They were hand washed by me or a car wash 2-3 times per week and in between quick detailed by me. They were washed by dealer each time I had service. The first one I kept 6 years, the second 3 years. They both looked like show room condition the day i got rid of them. I am sure for every one or two people on here who have a story about what their dealer did to their car, there are 9,999 stories of people who have no issues. Drive the car. Enjoy the car. Don't be **** about the car (it's more fun that way)
Old 11-07-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Six months for free. It is included in AudiConnect which is the subscription service.

2. There are some kits that do this available now. I believe they run around 3500 and require some programming. They are basically the European headlights.

3. I have Dynamic steering and like the way that car drives. That said, I probably wouldn't really notice either way if I had it or didn't.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts on dealer wash..

I have in the past asked the dealer to not touch my car at time of delivery but with this car I am going to let them detail the car. My reasoning is a couple of reasons. First the dealer gets a chance to inspect the car for defects during this time and you do as well when you pick up the car. If the dealer doesn't touch the car it will be half or more covered in vinyl and you do not have a chance to see a problem before you take delivery. Next is even if the dealer doesn't touch the car you will have some swirls and buffer marks that you will want to remove. I had to buff my car without the dealer touching it and I will have to buff my car with the dealer touching it so I don't really gain anything. Plus to get rid of all of the sticky residue all over the car from the shipping wrap inside and out can be a pain to remove.

Just my 2c
Old 11-07-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by machz
My thoughts on dealer wash..

I have in the past asked the dealer to not touch my car at time of delivery but with this car I am going to let them detail the car. My reasoning is a couple of reasons. First the dealer gets a chance to inspect the car for defects during this time and you do as well when you pick up the car. If the dealer doesn't touch the car it will be half or more covered in vinyl and you do not have a chance to see a problem before you take delivery. Next is even if the dealer doesn't touch the car you will have some swirls and buffer marks that you will want to remove. I had to buff my car without the dealer touching it and I will have to buff my car with the dealer touching it so I don't really gain anything. Plus to get rid of all of the sticky residue all over the car from the shipping wrap inside and out can be a pain to remove.

Just my 2c
I could not have said it better myself. I originally thought about going the no wash route, but decided to let them detail it after the PDI. I am glad I did since the car came almost spotless and there was almost no paint correction needed when I did my first detail. I do, however, tell the service department NOT to wash the car when it goes into service. The service wash is usually a different department than new car detail and with how many cars going through the wash there is just too much chance of a dirty wash mitt being used to wash the car and putting a ton of swirls in the paint.

Traffic is only for 6 months, unless you subscribe to Audi Connect once your trial ends in 6 months.

I ordered just about every option possible except for the dynamic steering. I love how the "base" steering feels, so I do not regret not adding that option. My thought was it would feel too artificial since it changes the ratios at different speeds.

Last edited by heisnuts; 11-07-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

After the car gets PDI'd (pre-delivery inspection), I would naturally let them remove all the wrapping and clean the car as you would expect them to.

However, whenever I take a car in for service, it's usually sparkling clean (on purpose) and I make it clear NOT to wash the car....but that's just me.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
After the car gets PDI'd (pre-delivery inspection), I would naturally let them remove all the wrapping and clean the car as you would expect them to.

However, whenever I take a car in for service, it's usually sparkling clean (on purpose) and I make it clear NOT to wash the car....but that's just me.
very true I do the same , I make sure it says on the invoice to not wash the customers car
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I think I'll let them wash the car and just enjoy every single mile behind the wheel. I also don't think the euro headlights are worth it at $3,500. It sucks that the traffic info is only provided for six months. My previous BMW's had it for the term of the lease.

ETA is towards the end of December, so this wait is going to drive me nuts. Greatly appreciate everyone's input!

I got the dynamic steering because I got the S Sport Package and the dynamic steering works in conjunction with the rear diff. Hoping the system is as good as the reviews say it is!

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-07-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I think I'll let them wash the car and just enjoy every single mile behind the wheel. I also don't think the euro headlights are worth it at $3,500. It sucks that the traffic info is only provided for six months. My previous BMW's had it for the term of the lease.

ETA is towards the end of December, so this wait is going to drive me nuts. Greatly appreciate everyone's input!

I got the dynamic steering because I got the S Sport Package and the dynamic steering works in conjunction with the rear diff. Hoping the system is as good as the reviews say it is!
I got the S sport pkg and dynamic steering. I noticed a huge difference with the dynamic steering straight away!! Especially when you drive a car afterwards without. I never thought I would want it and now I wouldn’t want a car without it! Enjoy!!

As for the washing...yeah. Don’t let service do it at least until you’re wore out from hand washing. I asked if they would hand wash and they said yes. When I picked it up they left big sections still totally dirty. I had to rewash myself because that does bother me.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One last question, why aren't the LED headlights adaptive?

Quick Reply: Questions while I wait for my 18 S5 Coupe to get here.