Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Radar Detector Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by trandg
So no problem getting the mirror opened up, but I can't seem to get the wire taps into the slots with the wires in. Managed to get the housing disconnected for easier access, but feels like the wire taps are too thick when a wire is already in a slot.

Any suggestions on alternativesnto get them in there?

Thanks!
Could you go into more detail about how you got the mirror trim pieces off? I can get once side unclipped (of the largest trim piece), but I'm stuck there.

Just grab that side and pull slowly?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audi-one
Could you go into more detail about how you got the mirror trim pieces off? I can get once side unclipped (of the largest trim piece), but I'm stuck there.

Just grab that side and pull slowly?
You can see the vertical line were the two pieces of the mirror casing meet....there's a little notch about 1cm in length. I put a bike tire iron (plastic) in there and wedged it open on either side and then squeezed to pull it down. Had to negotiate with it a bit but eventually it unsnapped it's little fasteners and came loose. There are some photos here in the forum I found that gave me some direction. If you can't figure it out I'll take photos when I'm home in a few days.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trandg
You can see the vertical line were the two pieces of the mirror casing meet....there's a little notch about 1cm in length. I put a bike tire iron (plastic) in there and wedged it open on either side and then squeezed to pull it down. Had to negotiate with it a bit but eventually it unsnapped it's little fasteners and came loose. There are some photos here in the forum I found that gave me some direction. If you can't figure it out I'll take photos when I'm home in a few days.
Interesting, so just between the 2 plastic pieces, right above the mirror itself? I had been wedging my trim removal tool between the plastic and the glass on each side with very mixed results.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi-one
Interesting, so just between the 2 plastic pieces, right above the mirror itself? I had been wedging my trim removal tool between the plastic and the glass on each side with very mixed results.
Ya I focused btw the plastic pieces as that's where the fasteners are...not between the glass. Try squeezing close to the class where the pieces meet and it should eventually unhinge if you put your trim tool between the two pieces
Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As always, thank you so much to all contributors to the Forum....I learn so much reading your posts.

Unlike many of you, I am not handy but the MirrorTap sounded so simple, I was actually considering it, except that I was uncomfortable trying to pop off the overhead console cover without breaking anything and also reinstalling it, so I decided to consult a professional to do so.

I called a very reputable car stereo installer who has worked on Audi's almost daily for years and he strongly recommended against tapping into either the overhead console or the fuse box....the reason being that the wiring is also carrying monitoring data and tapping in could cause problems for either the car's internal monitoring system and/or an Audi technician. I did see another post somewhere of someone saying that the dealer had actually removed their fusebox tap for that very reason.

I have not seen any reports of problems with MirrorTaps on here, so I am guessing that in most, if not all cases, it works just fine and I do not have the expertise to say either way, so I am not looking to dispute that....I am just relaying the information from someone who may.

This installer instead recommended tapping into the power supply port (cigarette lighter) which was designed specifically for this and he can do so with a nice clean install for $ 80.

Everyone is different, but for me with my admittedly very limited mechanical skills to even pop open the overhead console without breaking it and my very healthy respect for the complexity and at least for me, the many unknown unknowns of such a complex system, for the $ 50K - $ 70K price of such a vehicle, and for the peace of mind, in my case, I am much more comfortable with spending the $ 80 for a professional who has done this all day, every day for years, and who knows the best way and the potential pitfalls.

Just wanted to throw that out as another option for in case there are any others like me :-) and to let people know that it is not necessarily the $ 300 that the OP was quoted.

Again, thank you so much for all your insights.

Last edited by NorthernMI; 02-21-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that added opinion. If I could find a pro to do this for me for $80, it'd be a nobrainer! Sounds like your guy is Audi familiar, which can't be said for any random car install shop. Please post photos and details of the final install when you get it done.

Last edited by audi-one; 02-20-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all, I just purchased a 2018 S4 B9(800 miles driven so far) I had my friend who is an Audi R8 certified tech at the Audi dealer ship shop help me hardwire my V1 on the car, we used the wire for the mirror as it has autodiming and compass. On my old car 16 A4 we used the homelink hard wire connection. All this was done on a Wednesday, exactly a week later after i get home from gym/errands and about 2-3 hours later I'm heading out, the engine doesn't turn over, there is power to all components, radio come on, virtual cockpit comes on, bolster seats go to position, how ever the rpm gauge read 1500, I have an amber warning light, and every possible malfunction light come on: ESC, Parking Brake, drive system, sport diff, parking aid, safety system, Audi presense. The brake felt like it was pressed in all the way and had a check engine light on as well(it looked like the car was in limp/transport mode) I tried to turn the car on and off a few times, let it sit for 5 mins or so and nothing, so I decide to use the in car road side assistance, and they were able to see all the lights I had displayed on the dash, so they reach out for a tow truck to come get my car and tow it to the dealership, when they driver gets ready to get the car off the toe truck, it turns on, there were no tech there as it was at night to scan the car right away, the next day they scan the car see all the described fault but they cant see what happen to throw all those faults. They clear the faults and the car works fine until the following Wednesday when the exact same thing happens, drove to the drs waited about 1-1.5 hours and tried to leave but the car did not turn on, so the car get towed again, this time the car doesn't turn on so it has to be put onto neutral manually(gear release under cup holder) next day they take a look, see same faults but no reason why it happen, I decide to have the hard wired radar taken off and old fashion it to the lighter. So I am waiting to see if it happens again tomorrow since its Wednesday, if it doesn't happen again then it was the hardwired to the the mirror, if it happens again, they will get an Audi corp tech come take a look at the car. Has anyone come across this at all or am I the only one who has had it happen to?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all, I just purchased a 2018 S4 B9(800 miles driven so far) I had my friend who is an Audi R8 certified tech at the Audi dealer ship shop help me hardwire my V1 on the car, we used the wire for the mirror as it has autodiming and compass. On my old car 16 A4 we used the homelink hard wire connection. All this was done on a Wednesday, exactly a week later after i get home from gym/errands and about 2-3 hours later I'm heading out, the engine doesn't turn over, there is power to all components, radio come on, virtual cockpit comes on, bolster seats go to position, how ever the rpm gauge read 1500, I have an amber warning light, and every possible malfunction light come on: ESC, Parking Brake, drive system, sport diff, parking aid, safety system, Audi presense. The brake felt like it was pressed in all the way and had a check engine light on as well(it looked like the car was in limp/transport mode) I tried to turn the car on and off a few times, let it sit for 5 mins or so and nothing, so I decide to use the in car road side assistance, and they were able to see all the lights I had displayed on the dash, so they reach out for a tow truck to come get my car and tow it to the dealership, when they driver gets ready to get the car off the toe truck, it turns on, there were no tech there as it was at night to scan the car right away, the next day they scan the car see all the described fault but they cant see what happen to throw all those faults. They clear the faults and the car works fine until the following Wednesday when the exact same thing happens, drove to the drs waited about 1-1.5 hours and tried to leave but the car did not turn on, so the car get towed again, this time the car doesn't turn on so it has to be put onto neutral manually(gear release under cup holder) next day they take a look, see same faults but no reason why it happen, I decide to have the hard wired radar taken off and old fashion it to the lighter. So I am waiting to see if it happens again tomorrow since its Wednesday, if it doesn't happen again then it was the hardwired to the the mirror, if it happens again, they will get an Audi corp tech come take a look at the car. Has anyone come across this at all or am I the only one who has had it happen to?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthernMI
As always, thank you so much to all contributors to the Forum....I learn so much reading your posts.
I called a very reputable car stereo installer who has worked on Audi's almost daily for years and he strongly recommended against tapping into either the overhead console or the fuse box....
This installer instead recommended tapping into the power supply port (cigarette lighter) which was designed specifically for this and he can do so with a nice clean install for $ 80.

Everyone is different, but for me with my admittedly very limited mechanical skills...
In my case, I am much more comfortable with spending the $ 80 for a professional who has done this all day, every day for years, and who knows the best way and the potential pitfalls.

Just wanted to throw that out as another option for in case there are any others like me
I feel the same way, even though I have done the Mirror Taps in my Corvettes. I don't want to risk the electrical system or any error codes.

I was hoping to use your guy, but I am in South Florida. I need to find a guy like your's.

Thanks for the info.